Author Topic: Better make some room at the table...  (Read 10359 times)

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
Re: Better make some room at the table...
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 04:16:05 PM »
Congrats Hrothgar!  We had problems with fertility as well, so it's always heartwarming to hear of people overcoming it.   Not that you guys are soliciting advice, but one food related bit that I found true... when they are little, you can take them anywhere.  They mostly sleep or suck on a bottle, passy, etc, but most importantly are quiet and don't disturb others.  It's when they get a little older or get mobile that our eating out options became limited.  That was mostly out of consideration for other diners and sanity for ourselves! :)

Yeah, this is a big topic of debate here in Decatur where we live, which is particularly afflicted with upscale restaurants frequented by parents with young kids. I imagine we'll see how our kids handle it at all ages before we make that call.

Twins!  Great news!  Pretty soon we'll have to start having some 285 FAMILY events, so that everyone's little ones can experience restaurant cuisine beyond that served at Chuck E. Cheese.  Blech.

BTW, my experience with the in utero conditioning of the baby's palate was that it didn't matter what I ate.  I couldn't eat any cooked vegetables with my first--the smell alone literally made me gag--but she is now a veggie eater extraordinaire of both the cooked and uncooked variety.  If what I ate had made any difference, she'd eat only pizza and pasta.   ;D

I remember dining with y'all and the wee one in question back when we lived in Smyrna. And I believe it was pizza we ate. ;)

Did you have morning sickness all through pregnancy? Lindsay's kind of banking on the hope that it will even out once she gets through the first trimester, as many folks (and books) have assured us that is the case. But I've also heard horror stories about it lasting through the entire pregnancy. Keeping those to myself. :-X
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:35:59 PM by Hrothgar »

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »
My mother had morning sickness pretty much through her entire pregnancy for all 4 of the times she was pregnant, or so she tells me. Crackers by the bed and make sure to get some ginger candies from an Asian market.

Also, my mother drank one beer every day when she was pregnant with me, so let that be a warning or a recommendation. Not sure what she ate, but I wouldn't be surprised if she had matzo ball soup, chopped chicken livers and creamed herring on a regular basis, as those are some of her comfort foods. I'm pretty sure my food tastes developed independently, because I didn't really like most of those until I was at least a teenager.

Conventional wisdom doesn't seem to hold any sway here, so go with your gut and we'll be happy to see the little Hrothgars when they get here!
Food is my favorite.

Offline ali0112

• Email
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 09:51:26 PM »
Congratulations from a mother of twins, who just happen to be excellent eaters!  :)

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »

I remember dining with y'all and the wee one in question back when we lived in Smyrna. And I believe it was pizza we ate. ;)

Did you have morning sickness all through pregnancy? Lindsay's kind of banking on the hope that it will even out once she gets through the first trimester, as many folks (and books) have assured us that is the case. But I've also heard horror stories about it lasting through the entire pregnancy. Keeping those to myself. :-X

That "wee one" is now in third grade and is only about a foot and a half shorter than me--maybe less!   :o  Our next "wee one" just started kindergarten!

I was lucky enough not to have morning sickness either time, although I did have the cooked veggies aversion I mentioned, but the most unusual thing that happened to me was that I completely lost my taste for coffee.  For those who don't know me very well, I go to bed every night looking forward to my first cup the next morning.  It is my happy place.  And that was gone.  The truly evil part of it was that I did NOT lose the love of the aroma of coffee, so I was always wanting it, then taking a sip and almost throwing up.

Don't worry though.  The morning sickness and other pregnancy-related symptoms are nothing compared to recovering from the actual birth!  On second thought, don't tell Lindsay that....   :-X

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 01:48:21 PM »
Survey (aka definitive gender U/S at Emory) says.... DOUBLE DUDES!

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 02:31:28 PM »
double trouble!

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 02:56:09 PM »
Oh dear...  ;D

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 05:08:50 PM »
Congrats to both of you, what are the names gonna be?
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 06:30:38 PM »

Congratulations to both of you.  My Mom wanted twins or two boys when I was born----  She changed her mind about 18 months after I was born.     She often said " and imagine I wanted two of you"...   

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »
Thanks, everyone! Not divulging names until the fellas actually arrive, since in my experience revealing early only leads to bad luck and/or people criticizing, overusing, or outright stealing one's choices. :-X

Offline MadBob

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 07:17:54 AM »
Congratulations, and name those babies what YOU (as a couple) like, not what the in-laws/out-laws are going to expect you to do regarding Family Tradition. They will be yours to love and yours to laugh about how you came to the decision you decide on (uncle Sam and IRiS etc) as far as the names go! Best of wishes and good luck in the upcoming months, I trust all will go well....
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 03:35:36 PM »
We're at 33 weeks and all is well. Baby shower on Sunday. Lindsay's getting ready to start working from home next week, and it's a good thing because this week it has really started being a struggle for her to shuttle herself to work and spend the day in an office chair.

Last week was exciting because we got word that both twins got spots in one of the most desirable daycare/early learning centers in our area. Also, CNN actually spent half a day filming us for a Sanjay Gupta segment on male infertility (which of course was distilled down to a few words from each of us and some B-roll of me futzing around in the kitchen). Ran this morning. You can see it here:

http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2012/02/29/exp-point-sanjay-gupta.cnn.html

Offline Girly

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 04:18:03 PM »
We're at 33 weeks and all is well. Baby shower on Sunday. Lindsay's getting ready to start working from home next week, and it's a good thing because this week it has really started being a struggle for her to shuttle herself to work and spend the day in an office chair.

Last week was exciting because we got word that both twins got spots in one of the most desirable daycare/early learning centers in our area. Also, CNN actually spent half a day filming us for a Sanjay Gupta segment on male infertility (which of course was distilled down to a few words from each of us and some B-roll of me futzing around in the kitchen). Ran this morning. You can see it here:

http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2012/02/29/exp-point-sanjay-gupta.cnn.html

What a cool thing to be able to show them when they're older! They're already supa-staahs ;)

Offline Picklefactory

• Email
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »
Congratulations Hrothgar and Lindsay! Thanks for sharing the CNN clip and hope that all continues to go well with the pregnancy. It's a small world, I work with Lindsay. She will know me as the woman that art directs her department's annual photo shoot.

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 10:51:39 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words! It seems they subsequently aired a better version of the piece that focuses more on our personal story:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2012/02/29/pkg-gupta-male-infertility.cnn

Picklefactory: Lindsay definitely knows you! She was mildly embarrassed that coworkers would see this, but I said, "Uh, you know this was on CNN, right? Kinda too late to be shy."  ;) I should also note that I have cousins in Michigan that do, in fact, own and operate a pickle factory.