Author Topic: Mussels  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Minerva

Mussels
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:17:13 PM »
We have made mussels twice in the last week and both were very good. But surprisingly, at least to us, the mussels we bought at Kroger were much better than the ones we got at Publix. The ones from Kroger had a tag certifying where they were harvested (an offshore ledge in Maine), the date and that they were distributed by a Cape Cod broker.

What's your favorite way to fix these little beauties? We used white wine, fennel bulb and fronds and shallot in one recipe and tons of garlic, wine and unsalted chicken stock in the other. I'm looking to change it up some for the next go-round.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Lorenzo

Re: Mussels
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 10:13:26 AM »
Last night, we made the Steamed Mussels with Thai Coconut Broth recipe that Mike posted not long ago.  We used Maine mussels from BHFM, and they were good--only about four out of 2-1/2 lbs failed to open upon cooking.

For me, picking a favorite mussel recipe is like picking a favorite child (though since I'm childless, that's sort of creepy).  There are a couple of places in Brussels that make recipes that my wife and I would love to be able to duplicate at home but have not been able to get quite right.  Our two favorites are a green peppercorn sauce and a cream-based garlic sauce.  Most commonly at home, we steam them in white wine and chopped leeks.