Author Topic: Re: Dan Loker = KoPP R.I.P.  (Read 23245 times)

Offline ali0112

• Email
Re: Dan Loker = KoPP R.I.P.
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 10:08:54 PM »
I remember when he was Dano-Mano...RIP KoPP..

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 01:41:54 PM »

Memorial Service
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 | 10:00a.m.
Holy Spirit Catholic Church
4465 Northside Dr. NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30309

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Daniel-Loker&lc=4944&pid=153416505&mid=4800739&locale=en_US

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 01:52:27 PM »

Some pictures of Dan/KoPP

I'll be adding to these, but CP dug up a few, an old board member and friend submitted one and I found a few more.

Offline Marmite Loving Euniculus

• Email
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »
These pictures make me smile. Mike's wedding was a great night and showed Dan in his true form. :)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »
This is Jim Loker, Dan's brother from Michigan.  My brother Tom and I have read all of the kind postings about our brother and want to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers.  He did pass away on Sept. 1 after his gun accidentaly discharged while he was making his bed.  He had underwent extensive back surgery in April and was just cleared to return to work on Sept. 5.  If you can make it to the funeral, we are planning on having a light lunch after.  Please email me so I can have a rough number.  Also, if you could email me any stories, anecdotes, musings on my brother, I will compile them and send them back to anyone that would want it.  My email address is lokerj@bronsonhg.org.  Thank you again and this will be the final posting of KoPP.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:09 PM »

I have bunch of pictures of Dan at various event back to 2oo?

I would gladly submit them to you to make a collage of things that Dan did when he was turned on to ATL and to our 285foodies.com board in particular.     Like I said before, I don't have a hidden agenda, I just have the stories and pictures.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 07:31:23 AM »
I just wanted to add a couple more thoughts. We just returned from a weekend in New Orleans, and it was hard not to think about him frequently while we were there, because he loved that kind of food so much - gumbo, red beans and rice, fresh seafood - and it would have been great to share our experiences there with him. I did have an extra drink or three in his honor.  :)

I also first met Dan in person at the Blais dinner in 2003-4? Not sure the exact date, but I remember that he was having a drink with Gr8Waiter and after observing me for a few minutes, he quickly guessed who I was without even speaking to me first. That was a terrific meal, and it was followed by many other wonderful meals that we shared, either in a group or just between the two of us.

One evening we met for dinner at Panahar and he brought a terrific bottle of dry Riesling for us to share. He had excellent taste in wine, beer, port, food, movies. . . During dinner, he expressed his affection for me, and he was more than a little tipsy at the time, but I knew he was sincere. I was in a relationship at the time, so I couldn't return the sentiment. Later, after linehog and I broke up, I approached him and asked if he wanted to take our friendship in a different direction. We had a few dates, and I remember on our third date, he took me to Gumbeaux's and treated me to lunch. Afterward, he took me to Patak where I picked out a slab of bacon, some Hungarian salami, bratwurst and other goodies. At the register, he paid for my purchase for me. Later, looking at my big bag of sausages, I thought to myself, "Not exactly a subtle gift, but it sure beats the heck out of flowers and candy."

Dan was a good man, and he will certainly be missed. I look forward to seeing many of you at the memorial so we can share more stories. He would want us to be happy in remembrance of him.
Food is my favorite.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 09:15:19 AM »
This is Jim Loker, Dan's brother from Michigan.  My brother Tom and I have read all of the kind postings about our brother and want to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers.  He did pass away on Sept. 1 after his gun accidentaly discharged while he was making his bed.  He had underwent extensive back surgery in April and was just cleared to return to work on Sept. 5.  If you can make it to the funeral, we are planning on having a light lunch after.  Please email me so I can have a rough number.  Also, if you could email me any stories, anecdotes, musings on my brother, I will compile them and send them back to anyone that would want it.  My email address is lokerj@bronsonhg.org.  Thank you again and this will be the final posting of KoPP. 

Okay folks time is pressing on the folks setting up a light lunch somewhere after the memorial service.  I know it is a weekday, and I know that some of you have already replied directly to Jim Loker, but let's chime in if we are going or not to give them a round number of folks to work with.   I am NOT making this a 285foodies Event, but I'm asking those of you that wish to go let him know here or directly, please.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 09:45:19 AM »
Trying to get a head count :

Deanne and I will be at the service and the lunch
Barnum has also said he will be at the service at least
Mark and I (Foodgeek) will be there for both the ceremony and the lunch afterward.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:53:42 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Barnum

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 10:03:31 AM »

Barnum has also said he will be at the service at least

Yes, I'll stay for the lunch

Offline Girly

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 10:29:35 AM »
I am going to do everything I can to be there, but I really never know what will happen with my job until it happens so I hate to put myself down for anything definitive.

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2011, 11:26:49 AM »
Where is the lunch?  I would like to attend both, but, like Girly, I don't know if my roller-coaster job will allow me to be gone mid-day.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »
Where is the lunch?  I would like to attend both, but, like Girly, I don't know if my roller-coaster job will allow me to be gone mid-day. 

All indications are that it will be at the church..

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2011, 12:26:06 PM »
God...My wife and I were supposed to have dinner with Dan this week. I hadn't heard from him and was wondering why. I never would have imagined this.

Dan was easily one of the nicest, most genuine people I've ever met. If you were in the restaurant biz in this town, he likely knew your name. It's so hard to wrap my mind around the idea of him being gone. I think his death is so inconceivable because of how much he loved people, loved food, loved drink, loved LIFE. Even after his most recent back surgery, when we took him out to eat and he was clearly in tons of pain, his sense of humor and acerbic but genuine sense of optimism remained intact.

Like Foodgeek, we were in New Orleans the weekend before last and my last memory of Dan will be of him sending us an email directing us to Coop's Place in the Quarter for the best jambalaya and red beans and rice we have had in our many trips down there. Just another in a long list of his spot-on recommendations.

I didn't drink beer before I met Dan, but years ago he sat me down at the bar of Brickstore's Belgian Room and took it upon himself, with the help of the bartender, to give me an education. I literally cannot tip a glass without thinking of him, and I'm sure I never will.

Bottoms up and happy trails, my friend. You will be sorely missed.

EDIT: My wife and I would like to attend the service tomorrow and will probably stay for the luncheon, as work allows.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:32:01 PM by Hrothgar »

Offline The Blissful Glutton

• Email
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2011, 01:34:37 PM »
What can I say that has not been said? I shared many a meal with Dan and I am genuinely shocked at his passing. He was a good man who enjoyed life as much as possible despite being in almost constant pain. What a sad year...first Greg Koetting, now Dan. I will also be at the service assuming my schedule allows, but will not stay for the luncheon.

Long live The King of The Pig People.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:37:22 PM by The Blissful Glutton »