Author Topic: Re: Dan Loker = KoPP R.I.P.  (Read 22696 times)

Offline Lorenzo

Re: Re: Dan Loker = KoPP R.I.P.
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »
Wow.  What can I say.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 11:20:12 AM »
I just went back and reread some of his posts, including a couple about where and when he might want to retire. There's an awful irony to them, but his good humor and optomistic spirit shine through..
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 12:08:29 PM »
Sorry to hear this, my condolences to those of you who knew him.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »
I first met Dan at the AC Blais outing many years ago. I think we met for meals at about a half-dozen places thereafter. Also, he was certainly a fixture at Iris when I went there many a time.

I enjoyed the meals and drinks I had with him and was thinking of those times since GG told me the horrid news last night.

Dan was a good guy.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline NicolasBour

• Email
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »

I am in shock......  Dan has been a friend of mine since 2002 when he became the "Norm" of my bar at Iris, I just can't imagine him being gone.... My heart goes out to his family.

Nic

:'(

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 01:20:36 PM »
This leaves such a gaping hole in this online community.  I am deeply saddened.  I enjoyed Iris, bbq, cajun and other meals with him through the years.  I remember each and every one fondly.  As many have said, he was a good-hearted soul.

Offline Marmite Loving Euniculus

• Email
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
Very sad news, I hope he's happy and peaceful whever he may be.

Offline GianniB

• Email
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 02:19:43 PM »
Never met him, but certainly enjoyed his contributions to the board and his unique point of view. The King has passed, long live the King!

:(

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 02:44:24 PM »

I have started a gallery of pictures of Dan L. KoPP taken over the years in our Gallery section.  If any of you would like to add a picture or more and make some comments please do so with our blessing.

http://285foodies.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;cat=3

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline chefmoss

• Email
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 02:49:12 PM »
Never met him, but certainly enjoyed his contributions to the board and his unique point of view. The King has passed, long live the King!

:(
I second everything you said!

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 03:31:02 PM »
Wow.  Tragic, stunning news.

As so many of you have said so eloquently, Dan was a great guy.  I was lucky enough to dine with him on a few occasions, and we always had a great time. 

His warmth and generosity will be missed.
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »
Such sad news. :'( Dan's appreciation of foods and knowledge of the Atlanta dining scene amazed me.  I only had lunch with Dan once, a year or so back but found him to be a pleasant guy.  He brought a 12 pack for us all to share (well, we didn't drink all of it... ;)).  Of course his banter here on the board was always respected and informative.  He will be greatly missed here and surely elsewhere.

Offline hallucinex

Re: Dan Loker = KoPP R.I.P.
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 07:20:11 PM »
Now this is sad.

I left a job back in January where Dan was a client of ours.  He was nothing but kind and professional both on the phone and in email chats with me and the few times he came into the office.  I knew he was a "foodie" but not much else on the personal front.  Really nice guy.

I have been mostly a lurker on this board and also the previous board for years now and always enjoyed KoPP's posts.  They were informative and respectful.

Until today I had no idea they were connected.  What a loss, and a shame.  It's obvious from the response here my interactions with him were not a coincidence.  He will be missed.

-Amber

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »
I feel that you I think I have post again as I did very early this morning. That post just to reply to the shock of reading Mikes initial post.

I lost a friend today and my sole is hurting. I don't care what caused Dan's death. The I lost a good dear friend today and I miss him. We met most recently at Hal's for dinner and even though the pain got to him early in we still had a good time.

Early on in our friendship we met a Christmas party at a member of the old AJCs board and when I got to him had this kind of funny look on his face. It seems that that he just had along involved conversation about restaurants with a man who when he went to say that to say hello to someone who else, Dan was informed about that then man he was talking to was non other than John Kessler. Once you he found out, Dann couldn't stop smiling.

If you there is  to be a memorial, I suggest we all meet at the Belgium Bar of the Brickstore to hoist. A drink in his memory.

I lost a friend today and it hurts....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:09:55 PM by officially OLD rwcohen »
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline CodePoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 11:32:39 AM »
From Jim Skinner on Facebook

From conversations with Dan's family and other close friends, just this evening: It has been conclusively established that Dan passed away as result of a freak discharge of a loaded gun, a discharge that he inadvertently caused. He was severely wounded in the stomach and was already unconscious by the time he was taken by EMS to Grady Hospital. He was pronounced dead shortly after arrival. Information received tonight indicates intent for a memorial/ funeral service in Atlanta. Details will follow as soon as possible on the arrangements