Author Topic: I hear chirping...and that's about all....  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
I hear chirping...and that's about all....
« on: August 17, 2011, 02:08:55 PM »
What's going on with the forums lately?  It's like crickets in here!  Isn't anyone eating out or cooking delicious meals at home, with accompanying beautiful photos of same??  I'm depending on you...yes, YOU!   :-*

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Re: I hear chirping...and that's about all....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:57:04 PM »
What's going on with the forums lately?  It's like crickets in here!  Isn't anyone eating out or cooking delicious meals at home, with accompanying beautiful photos of same??  I'm depending on you...yes, YOU!   :-*

I guess I could dig the half-eaten plate of spaghetti out of the fridge and snap a shot of it... ;D

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 03:18:57 PM »
I'm guessing that it has something to do with the fact that the weather has cooled down a bit, so it's actually pleasant to be outside. I've been using the new grill a little more often lately, taking advantage of the fact that I won't have to sweat all over the food if I do.

Last night I made boneless, country-style ribs, braised in the slow-cooker, then finished on the grill with a little spicy barbecue sauce. Sides were some purple asparagus, par-cooked and then finished on the grill to add some smoke, plus some cucumber and onion salad marinated in rice wine vinegar. I also made some onigiri with some sushi rice that I've had around but hadn't completely mastered yet. I stuffed them with sauteed mushrooms, even though that seems to be a bit unorthodox, and then finished them in my new non-stick pan. They were a big hit with The Scientist, so I'll probably do that again, now that I have the technique down, and I'll try to take some pictures next time. Probably the best onigiri that I've tasted so far.

Give it a minute and things will pick up again around here. If'n they don't, I'll try to restart my old blog or stir things up somehow.  ;)
Food is my favorite.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »
Been cookin good on the grill, but can't figger out how to post them pics from my puter to this site, or mebbe I must need to log on and try to remember my old password to where I have hid another app that has pics. I can't even remember the name of that program and it'll take a minute to figger that one out also!
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »
We've been having a lot of simple summer dinners based on tomatoes, corn, squash, and other farmers market stuff--nothing fancy, and very little cooking.  I had a classic 'mater sandwich for lunch.  With the more tolerable temp tonight, I believe it's time to grill a Prime strip steak from Costco--still nothing noteworthy.  Even our beverage choices have been in a sort of heat-induced stupor this summer.  I don't know how you people can drink bourbon barrel aged stout or whatever in the summer.  I guess I take my beer enthusiast hat off in the summer and cool myself with pilsners and boxed white wine.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »
We've been having a lot of simple summer dinners based on tomatoes, corn, squash, and other farmers market stuff--nothing fancy, and very little cooking.  I had a classic 'mater sandwich for lunch.  With the more tolerable temp tonight, I believe it's time to grill a Prime strip steak from Costco--still nothing noteworthy.  Even our beverage choices have been in a sort of heat-induced stupor this summer.  I don't know how you people can drink bourbon barrel aged stout or whatever in the summer.  I guess I take my beer enthusiast hat off in the summer and cool myself with pilsners and boxed white wine.

I too have been doing "slumgullion" dinners out of leftovers when it has been hot, of course I've been out of town a lot this summer but when I'm here I cook for three days and work on the LO's for 3 more.  We do go out to eat once in a while but our schedule and our location makes it harder for us to find and try a new place, an interesting place to go out and write about.  I am not posting about "Hot and Cold Buffet" though we eat there once or twice a month, it is fuel and dinner rather than a foodie experience.    I do want to throw a few of the places we ate in SoCal (the inland empire) up on the out-of-town threads but until someplace rocks my socks I am just going to cool it and post good food when I find it.

I do miss Cal Vulcan/uOTPia Dweller though. I sometimes miss his commentary about restaurants and the GREAT Northeast corridor of Atlanta.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:43:19 PM »
What happened to Cal?

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 07:46:09 AM »
What happened to Cal?

The only thing I know is that his posting days are over.  He still lurks from time to time.  Too bad. :(

Offline totm

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
What happened to Cal?

The only thing I know is that his posting days are over.  He still lurks from time to time.  Too bad. :(
XFL threatened to send him (and all those other rabble rousers) permanently to banned camp...oops, wrong forum.  8-)
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 03:25:34 PM »
I am having to get into the rainmaking game at work.  Guess I'll have to do it here too.

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »

I guess I could dig the half-eaten plate of spaghetti out of the fridge and snap a shot of it... ;D

As it happens, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about!  Post that sucker.   :D