Author Topic: New books  (Read 1787 times)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
New books
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:03:48 PM »
Easier to start something generic as far as the topic is concerned.

Lev Grossman has come out with his followup to "The Magicians". The first book is almost like a dysfunctional Harry Potter episode - things aren't so cut and dried, and there's the whole sex and jealousy thing.. If you haven't read "The Magicians", it's an excellent book (NYT Bestseller, if that makes a difference). If you have, look for "The Magician King" - I'm going to do the Kindle thing...

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Re: New books
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:39:12 PM »
Damn...just...damn. A great book (The Magician King), but what an abrupt ending. Had to flip forward and back to see if that was really it.

Now I have to find something else to read when I can't sleep.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 12:55:05 PM »
Thanks for the rec.  I'll have to try them.

Just finished a really good one called the Lock Artist.  Hard to describe, but basically the story of a boy rendered mute by a childhood trauma who develops the ability to be able to pick any lock and crack any safe.  It really is a great book, and a lot more interesting and complex than my very brief plot summary.
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 02:52:30 PM »

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »
Thanks for the rec.  I'll have to try them.

Just finished a really good one called the Lock Artist.  Hard to describe, but basically the story of a boy rendered mute by a childhood trauma who develops the ability to be able to pick any lock and crack any safe.  It really is a great book, and a lot more interesting and complex than my very brief plot summary.

My luck, Dekalb Libary has it on audiobook. I'll have it next week. It will go into the que.
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »
Got a copy of The Lock Artist from the library today - had to get a new library card, since the last time I checked anything out was over 10 years ago.

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »
Got a copy of The Lock Artist from the library today - had to get a new library card, since the last time I checked anything out was over 10 years ago.
Let me in ow how it is is waiting for me to pick the audiobook at the library.
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »
Let me in ow how it is is waiting for me to pick the audiobook at the library.

Good read, but pretty short.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it - I thought it was a fun book.
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »
Started reading Operation Mincemeat (I'm a sucker for WWII spy books), and it seems to be a good read so far. More and more info is coming available due to relaxation of pre-Cold War security restrictions, and there's a lot of stuff coming out on these half-baked plans that actually worked. Ian Flemming (James Bond and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) was in on the op, and reading the setup of the invasion of Sicily, you wonder just what the heck was going on with Nazi intelligence.

Rereading the Tiffany Aching novels as well (a part of the Terry Pratchett's Discworld series), starting with The Wee Free Men and ending (as on now) with I Shall Wear Midnight. I like it better than the Potter series, since it's protagonist is more practical, and Aching doesn't have a convienient Dumbledore for a deus ex machina (and I don't mean to start a jihad for Harry fans). I think it's a great tween novel series that us older folks can enjoy, especially if you've read Pratchett. Some of his stuff is off the wall (the Unseen University is almost a parody of certain top-heavy universities here in the ATL).