Author Topic: Where to fill a growler in Atlanta...  (Read 10658 times)

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Where to fill a growler in Atlanta...
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »
The new Merchants Walk Whole Foods is filling growlers, and I was interested in learning where else in the metro area we can fill up these amber jugs of happiness.  List your filling station here.

Merchants Walk Whole Foods
1311 Johnson Ferry Road NE
Marietta, GA 30068

-only fills Whole Foods branded growler jugs. $4 jug purchase required.

Offline FlyinBrian

Re: Where to fill a growler in Atlanta...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:33:12 AM »
The only other place I'm aware of is Hop City's Growlertown with it's 16 rotating taps.

I was at Whole Paycheck, I mean the new Whole Foods yesterday.  I was impressed with the rig they use to pressurize the growlers.  I'd like to see a place like Wild Wing Cafe (I live in E.Cobb) with an extensive selection of taps jump the "Growler Bandwagon".

-B

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:20 AM »
The only other place I'm aware of is Hop City's Growlertown with it's 16 rotating taps.

I was at Whole Paycheck, I mean the new Whole Foods yesterday.  I was impressed with the rig they use to pressurize the growlers.  I'd like to see a place like Wild Wing Cafe (I live in E.Cobb) with an extensive selection of taps jump the "Growler Bandwagon".

-B
I go to Hop City. They're working more and more imports into the mix.

The interpretation of the law that folks are using to open up growlers shops is pretty strict. No bar on premises, using their branded growlers, etc.  You won't see a restaurant or a brewpub selling them any time soon.

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 01:00:58 PM »
And I'm not completely sure I love the growler, though I applaud any freedom of commerce we can get.

Unless you have a bunch (6-8) of people to serve, the growler will go flat within a few hours of opening.

But I do think fun for a party, not sure if they're a money saver. 

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »

Unless you have a bunch (6-8) of people to serve, the growler will go flat within a few hours of opening.

Growlers are half gallons or 64 ounces.  64 divided by 12 (normal bottle size) equals 5.3, "12 ounce pours." If you're having a party and divide 5.3 beers between 6-8 people I hope I'm not invited.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:59:00 PM by HaagenDazs »

Offline biskuit

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:33:15 PM »
Hop City, Ale Yeah!, Whole Foods Ponce, All Y'alls Market, and coming soon is The Beer Growler in Avondale.

http://www.thirstysouth.com/2011/06/27/growlers-grow-on-atlanta/

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »
I understand that Ale Yeah will fill growlers that are not their own, which is a good thing.

Offline totm

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »

Growlers are half gallons or 64 ounces.  64 divided by 12 (normal bottle size) equals 5.3, "12 ounce pours." If you're having a party and divide 5.3 beers between 6-8 people I hope I'm not invited.
I agree with both of your points.  I've had growlers go flat because I didn't have help with a particular beer.  Additionally, V and I finished a growler of Rogue on the flight back from PDX after each ordering 1 beer from the flight attendant.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 04:14:20 PM »
I don't get the appeal of growlers the way they are used here in GA--that is, as just another alternative packaging option for beer purchased at a retail store.  If I am not mistaken, growlers became popular in the 1990s as a way to bring home the freshest beer possible, directly from a brewery or brewpub.  I can see stopping off at a brewery or brewpub to bring home fresh beer--maybe something they don't bottle--but it just doesn't make sense to me to fill a growler from a keg in a retail store far from the brewery.  I guess there is a novelty factor to it for some people, but as a homebrewer, I've transferred enough beer between various vessels that it's not novel to me.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 05:06:19 PM »
I understand that Ale Yeah will fill growlers that are not their own, which is a good thing.

I didn't think so, so I checked their website, and you do have to buy their growler. http://www.aleyeahbeer.com/faq/

I've only had them for dinners with friends and neighbors. Now, the beer I like from the tap is often times less than 16 oz serving size at the bar, so the growler goes further than 6 servings (unless company doesn't want beer, in which case there's bigger pours for me).

I like having growlers since I think most beers taste better on tap than in the bottle (and there's better chance that the beer hasn't been heated up, subjected to sunlight, etc.). As far as domestic brews are concerned, I don't know how long a keg takes to get to your local bar - BB, totm, and a big list of others know a lot more than me. I'd say that the big draw about getting growlers from a brewpub is to get the limited availability stuff.

Beer that has sediment is usually better in the bottle, and that's after you roll them to mix them up. The folks over at the Brick Store look at me funny when I ask them to go back and kick the keg a couple of times...

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »

I didn't think so, so I checked their website, and you do have to buy their growler. http://www.aleyeahbeer.com/faq/

I've only had them for dinners with friends and neighbors. Now, the beer I like from the tap is often times less than 16 oz serving size at the bar, so the growler goes further than 6 servings (unless company doesn't want beer, in which case there's bigger pours for me).

I like having growlers since I think most beers taste better on tap than in the bottle (and there's better chance that the beer hasn't been heated up, subjected to sunlight, etc.). As far as domestic brews are concerned, I don't know how long a keg takes to get to your local bar - BB, totm, and a big list of others know a lot more than me. I'd say that the big draw about getting growlers from a brewpub is to get the limited availability stuff.

Beer that has sediment is usually better in the bottle, and that's after you roll them to mix them up. The folks over at the Brick Store look at me funny when I ask them to go back and kick the keg a couple of times...

So you and I will have a collection of the "local" mugs/growlers that we can fill..  While that idea is flawed, I will step through that process to let the Georgia folks in charge see that it is a silly rule only letting you fill the "named" growler container with the appropriate beer. 

Where by Bro. lives in S. CA, the growler locations observe, and recognize the other vendors and ALL OF THEM have a growler dishwasher so that no cross contamination goes on.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 06:47:01 AM »

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 07:54:38 AM »
I guess one site or the other needs to be updated/clarified.

Offline TrickyD

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »
I went by All Yall's last night and picked up a growler of Hercules Double IPA.  The gentleman said that he will fill any growler also.

Kinda pricy (but looking at 6 pack prices, maybe not so bad?) and informed me that I needed to drink it in 48 hours after I got it, so I have that to look forward to tonight!

Are all the other places in town 48 hours too?  Does it vary based on the growler equipment?