Author Topic: Okra  (Read 5452 times)

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Re: Okra
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 10:22:36 AM »
I've never heard of not eating the "tails" - never even heard that term before. I eat both the top and tail if we grill them (unless the top is tough) and can't see why you would want to discard the "tail".  Seems like it is exactly the same as the rest of the okra, no? Is that a traditional thing to do in the South?

I'm with ya here.  What an odd thing to cut off.  It's exactly the same texture and flavor as the rest of it. 

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 10:24:49 AM »
When I grill them, I'll cut off the caps.

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 11:08:08 PM »
I've never heard of not eating the "tails" - never even heard that term before. I eat both the top and tail if we grill them (unless the top is tough) and can't see why you would want to discard the "tail".  Seems like it is exactly the same as the rest of the okra, no? Is that a traditional thing to do in the South?

I'm with ya here.  What an odd thing to cut off.  It's exactly the same texture and flavor as the rest of it.

All right, all right, all right.
It was my first time cooking it for corn sake  :o
It just looked like something you'd cut off.
Next time the caps are cut off and ends stay on!
Merci' for the schooling!

Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 06:32:09 AM »

All right, all right, all right.
It was my first time cooking it for corn sake  :o
It just looked like something you'd cut off.
Next time the caps are cut off and ends stay on!
Merci' for the schooling!

Ha!  ;D

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »

I am doing Okra today to cover two cultures, maybe three.

I am making Okra and tomatoes the way CP's family does it....  but...

I am putting in a couple smoked chicken thighs & some Grains of Paradise while the okra and tomatoes cook and I'll finish it with a bit of dark rye (pumpernickel) bread broken up in it to thicken it like my German/Austrian Grandmother did it.

I may do field peas to go with it, I have a bit of Pine Street Market apple-smoked bacon that would make those field peas rock. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.