Author Topic: Okra  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Minerva

Okra
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »
Anybody have favorite ways to fix okra? I was gifted with some from a friend's garden but I've never worked with it in its fresh form.

I was thinking of dipping in buttermilk and egg then coating in corn meal to fry. Will that work? What else do you suggest?
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Girly

Re: Okra
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
Anybody have favorite ways to fix okra? I was gifted with some from a friend's garden but I've never worked with it in its fresh form.

I was thinking of dipping in buttermilk and egg then coating in corn meal to fry. Will that work? What else do you suggest?

I just cut it and put corn meal on to fry - the "okra goo" is enough for corn meal stickage :) Well, that's for people like me who aren't fans of the over covered fried okra you get in restos.

Now I'm hankering for some, lol

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »
grilled is quite good. I think i got that method from LizR years ago..it dries out the good a little and is quite tasty

Offline Minerva

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
grilled is quite good. I think i got that method from LizR years ago..it dries out the good a little and is quite tasty

I'm boycotting my outdoor grills while it's still so nasty and humid. Can I get a good result with a grill pan indoors, do you think? Do you just put it on nekkid, no seasonng or whatever?
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »
Whomever told me here used italian dressing. I used oil and salt.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »
I agree with the dry cornmeal coating method.  Fast and easy.

I've also had good luck with stewed okra with fresh cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar.

Offline MoButter

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 03:10:50 PM »
This past Thursday's AJC food section had a really good/easy recipe for fried okra. Recipe for fried okra you say? The tip I had never thought of was after you slice the okra (1/2 lengthwise) soak it in salted water for 10 minutes before dredging in cornmeal. I tried it and it was really good.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 03:14:42 PM »
Whomever told me here used italian dressing. I used oil and salt.

Yeah,  that was me. We usally let them marinate in some sort of vinegarette for a while but you don't have to. If you choose not to I'd oil them for sure though. Personally, I don't mind okra goo, but if someone does, the grilling technique can help a lot. I heard somewhere that if you don't cut okra, it is a lot less slimy and this seems to hold true for the grilling technique.

Offline Girly

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 04:07:04 PM »
I have never eaten the tops and tails - when you cut them in 2 lengthwise, do you keep the tops and tails?

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »
I have never cooked with okra before and have never liked it but I just made a big pot of gumbo using some  andouille and tasso from the Spotted Trotter and some really great tomatoes, squash and, on a whim, some okra I picked up at the Roswell Farmer's Market.  I just cut the top and tail off the okra and dropped it in the gumbo to cook and it came out great.  No slime and very tasty indeed.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 06:50:49 PM »
I've never heard of not eating the "tails" - never even heard that term before. I eat both the top and tail if we grill them (unless the top is tough) and can't see why you would want to discard the "tail".  Seems like it is exactly the same as the rest of the okra, no? Is that a traditional thing to do in the South?

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 07:43:02 PM »
My wife makes Indian style curry with okra.  Still mucilagenous, but at least it adds flavor.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 07:09:45 AM »
I love okra in an Indian-style preparation.  Julie Sahni's book Classic Indian Cooking says that sliminess is a result of okra coming into contact with water, so she recommends drying it completely after washing and then cooking in oil, not water. 

The recipe for stir-fried okra calls for 1 pound fresh okra, 3 T oil, 2 green chiles (optional) and 1/2 t kosher salt.  Wash okra and dry well,  Trim both ends and slice okra into 1/4 inch rounds.  Seed chilies and slice into 1/4 inch rounds.  Heat oil in a large pan, when hot add okra and chiles.  Let cook for a minute, then reduce heat and cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.  Cook again on high for 5 minutes until brown, then salt to taste.

When I've had this kind of dish in Indian restaurants I think there have been onions in it also.  I love the caramelized tastes you get with the long cook time.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 07:40:05 AM »
We had Julie Sahni's version of okra last night. The okra was from our garden and so fresh and delicious. We also had fresh eggplant that we grew and chanterelles, from the farmers market, in a curry. Nothing like cooking with fresh, just picked ingredients.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 08:59:17 AM »
I choose only small okras, trim the top stem off, but not enough to let the inside goo out, wash and dry thoroughly.  Then heat some oil in an iron skillet until really hot, throw in the whole okra and stir fry for 4-5 minutes.  Toss in some minced garlic and/or pepper flakes at the end.  Still sort of crispy, but ready to eat.  Delicious!