Author Topic: Momofuku cookin at home  (Read 2561 times)

Offline biskuit

Momofuku cookin at home
« on: July 18, 2010, 09:10:50 AM »
Recently got the Momofuku cookbook, and haven't even really looked through most of it yet, but picked out a couple recipes to pair with an 05 Salinia Heitz Chard and the 06 Salinia Bottoms Pinot. These two dishes turned out spectacularly well, great flavors, beautiful presentations, delicious and (probably not typical for Momofuku) rather healthy!  Would love to hear how other recipes from this book have fared, I know Jimmy has experimented a bit to mixed results, but I'm off to a good start at least...

First up was the Hamachi cured with sichuan peppercorn and coriander, with edamame and horseradish puree. Killer killer dish. And paired really nicely with the freakin incredible Salinia chard. Once I made the horseradish puree, I was really afraid the spice would kill the wine, but the heat of the horseradish subsided over a couple hours after I made it ahead of time, and it turned out to be just right. The topping on the hamachi was a Japanese rice seasoning of seaweed and puffed rice, which also worked really well to add some texture to the dish (crunchy against the tender hamachi).

Next up, king oyster and oyster mushrooms over a dashi-braised pistachio puree, with lightly pickled radishes and jerusalem artichokes. Wow, the pistachio puree (like a nut butter really) was really good stuff and pulled the disparate parts of this dish together very well. And the pairing with the Salinia pinot was spot on, though I must say I found the pinot more interesting than great. Plenty of spice in there, cinnamon and clove, cloudy hazy earthy stuff. I added a side of Israeli couscous with mushrooms also, nice addition (not from Momofuku cookbook).

A few more shots, carrots and local herb chevre to start, the wines, and the cookbook, with an approving Homer Simpson nearby...

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
Re: Momofuku cookin at home
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 09:20:08 AM »
I got this book for Christmas. We particularly like the ginger scallion noodles. I need to make that again this week.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 10:29:08 AM »
Yah. The ginger scallion noodles are tasty. Add to them a soft cooked egg and they're a meal. Maybe throw on there some red roast pork or some chinese roast duck too!

Nice dishes biskuit.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »
Besides the noodles, anything you'd particularly recommend? At first I thought I was going to love this book, but I an just not feeling it...

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 12:38:23 PM »
i haven't made much from it...i have it on my nightstand still!

Offline biskuit

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 03:50:51 PM »
I need to jump back into this as well, the few dishes I have made have been great, but tried very little thus far.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »
i haven't made much from it...i have it on my nightstand still!

That is funny, me too.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 04:02:48 PM »
I need to jump back into this as well, the few dishes I have made have been great, but tried very little thus far.

I'd like to satrt with something kind of simple. just to see if I like the style before jumping in with both feet. I'll report back.

Offline LamarT

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 10:12:49 AM »
Good looking preparations, Biscuit. You have always shown a Chefs touch and respect for recipes. Momofuku is a great cookbook and deserves all the attention it is getting. I have had a blast with it for the year. The eggs, cook the eggs!

Offline biskuit

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »
Thanks, and yeah, I need to jump back into this book. Lots to try.