Author Topic: Bell's Expedition Stout, and other high gravities..  (Read 1263 times)

Offline foodnearsnellville

Bell's Expedition Stout, and other high gravities..
« on: December 22, 2009, 12:00:01 PM »
I had one recently, wrote about it on the blog.

What i didn't expect from the high gravity beers, and perhaps should have, was the aromaticity of the beer. In that respect it was more like a chardonnay than, oh, Coors Light. Bell's was otherwise very stout like, with lots of flavor, lots of hops and malt and bitter (and overtones of chocolate, Rice Krispies and Peeps.. well, maybe not the last two).

FnS.

Offline totm

Re: Bell's Expedition Stout, and other high gravities..
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:26:52 PM »
What i didn't expect from the high gravity beers, and perhaps should have, was the aromaticity of the beer. In that respect it was more like a chardonnay than, oh, Coors Light. Bell's was otherwise very stout like, with lots of flavor, lots of hops and malt and bitter (and overtones of chocolate, Rice Krispies and Peeps.. well, maybe not the last two).
Chardonnay?  I would expect more Cabernet like being dark and rich and full of all kinds of roasty goodness.  And some imperial stouts could have cloyingly sweet overtones.  All of that malt may not always get converted.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »
Chardonnay?  I would expect more Cabernet like being dark and rich and full of all kinds of roasty goodness.  And some imperial stouts could have cloyingly sweet overtones.  All of that malt may not always get converted.

Ok, I do understand the cabernet <-> stout comparison based on *flavor*. Based on the alcohol like swat to the nose, chardonnays bother me more than do cabernets.

When I go whites these days, it's usually a pinot grigio.

FnS.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:24:07 AM »
Back in college my roommates and I sometimes picked up Carlsburg Elephant Malt Liquor.  At the time beer was the only alcoholic beverage we could legally buy, and before the microbrew phenomenon you had to resort to this if your main goal for the evening was to get loaded.  This was certainly accomplished thanks to Elephant.  We called them "elephant tranquilizers."  One time a friend of mine drank four in one hour, and he spent the rest of the evening sitting very quietly staring into space.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 12:27:33 PM »
I really didn't drink much until during grad school I ran into people who brewed their own. Being handed someone's experiment (garlic beer, anyone?) broadened my tastes substantially.

The nicest thing about being the guinea pig of home brewers is that their beers almost always had nice ingredients and a decent amount of body. It may taste like nothing else on the planet but they seldom tasted like watered down Lone Star.

FnS.