Author Topic: New Top Topics & Recent Posts Display  (Read 5329 times)

Offline mikeamor

• Email
New Top Topics & Recent Posts Display
« on: July 10, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »
Nice feature but would like to be able to collapse or turn off the display of these two new items as they take up a full screen and you have to scroll by them on every single screen now to get to the actual content.  Even posting a message is preceded by these two new display items.
Just my $0.02  ;)
Thanks.

Added Observation: Also in the interest of screen real estate, you might want to consider placing all the social media buttons in a single line at the bottom of the messages.  Kind of a "Social Networking Bar" if you will.  Right now they are also taking up a lot of space in their current arrangement.

OK.  So that's $0.04 now.

Thanks again for all your work on the site!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:56:17 AM by mikeamor »
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Re: New Top Topics & Recent Posts Display
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »
Nice feature but would like to be able to collapse or turn off the display of these two new items as they take up a full screen and you have to scroll by them on every single screen now to get to the actual content.  Even posting a message is preceded by these two new display items.
Just my $0.02  ;)
Thanks.
+1

Offline Minerva

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:56:06 AM »
Not sure I like this as well as the old layout. Change always takes getting used to, but I'd like the Top Topics section at the bottom, too.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline loveATL

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:26:51 AM »
Ditto.  I read on my iPad and would prefer content at top and 'stats' at the bottom.  Guess we are up yp $0.10 now  8)

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »
I don't find "Top Topics" very useful.  Just because there are more posts on those threads doesn't mean they interest me.  Mostly, I just use "unread posts since last visit."

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 11:00:42 AM »
On my netbook, this means I have to click twice on my mouse wheel before I see actual content. It's very annoying.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »
I definitely would like to see those two new sections collapsible and/or at the bottom of the page. Failing that limit them to the front of the forum.

Top topics are interesting to read once, not every time you login, and certainly not on every page. Recent posts are more valuable, but I still want the option of skipping them, and again I don't need to see them on every page.

We appreciate everything you do in this labor of love, GG CP and FB.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Minerva

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 12:43:17 PM »
We appreciate everything you do in this labor of love, GG CP and FB.

Absolutely! You guys are the heart and soul of this community.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 01:43:28 PM »
+1

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 07:06:32 AM »
Looking better today, I believe.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 08:12:17 AM »
I'm not liking this new layout. It's very cluttered and hard to read. On smaller screens (I'm here on a netbook or an iPad), three column layouts are terrible. I appreciate experimentation, but there's a reason the single column format for message boards is the most common.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline totm

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 03:39:05 PM »
Added Observation: Also in the interest of screen real estate, you might want to consider placing all the social media buttons in a single line at the bottom of the messages.  Kind of a "Social Networking Bar" if you will.  Right now they are also taking up a lot of space in their current arrangement.
I would prefer to be able to configure that stuff to be completely turned off.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 03:46:47 PM »
Just my $0.02  ;)
Thanks.

OK.  So that's $0.04 now.

Thanks again for all you work on the site!

You caught me learning the ins-and-outs of the different portal mods.  Once I realized that those items were displaying on all pages I relegated them to the home and or the forum pages.

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
I would prefer to be able to configure that stuff to be completely turned off.

You can hide the additional panels.

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »
I've been experimenting with different templates.  You can easily change templates by using the template widget on the home page.  Please try a few and cast your vote in the poll.