Author Topic: Summer Dinner Party Suggestions  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Melomom

• About Face
Summer Dinner Party Suggestions
« on: July 05, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
I am having some friends over for dinner and I have promised to make a lobster bisque.  I have a great recipe I have made before which has a base mainly of stock made with the lobster shells and some white wine, thickened with pureed rice, and just a touch of cream, so the bisque isn't at all cloying or heavy.

I am thinking the soup will be the main course, so I would like to hear suggestions for the rest of the menu.  My initial idea is an appetizer - I love the Alsatian onion tarts on puff pastry circles from Julia Child's Baking Book - and then a salad, and a baguette with the salad and soup.  Dessert may be birthday cake for my sweetie though something lemon would probably be more appropriate to the season otherwise.

Ideas?  Thanks!

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
Re: Summer Dinner Party Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 05:14:01 AM »
Lemon souffles with a raspberry coulis is always a nice summer dessert.

Maybe a composed salad to start -- so many gorgeous vegetables right now.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »
I like the idea of a composed salad.  Maybe something like a platter of vegetables with a dressing each guest can add as they wish?  What kinds of vegetables would you use, BB?

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:02:48 PM »
Shredded beets, shredded carrots, maybe shredded celery root.  Plus radishes, greens & herbs.   

Sort of a Southern  "aoili platter."

You could throw in some field peas/sugar snap peas or skinny green beans.

I think I'm going to do that Saturday with some poached shrimp.  Thanks for inspiring!

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
I saw a recipe for a green goddess dressing that looked very summery with all the fresh herbs.  Maybe green beans, new potatoes, asparagus, lightly cooked carrots?  I will see what looks good.

Edit:

Here is the dressing recipe, from one of my favorite blogs:

http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2011/05/green-goddess-dressing/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:23:58 PM by Melomom »

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:50:17 PM »
MM - So how was the party, and the dressing? The recipe looks very good.

I'm looking for ideas for six and a half people for Saturday. Sounds like it is going to be hot, so I'd rather avoid the oven or boiling a big pot of pasta. I'm thinking some sort of composed "antipasto" platter (bed of lettuce topped with arranged tomato wedges, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, garbanzos, roasted red pepper strips, hard boiled egg quarters, maybe some salami strips, with a standard vinaigrette), charcoal-grilled chicken pieces in some sort of flavor (garlic, oregano, rosemary, vinegar, olive oil marinade), but I am getting stuck on the starch and an app to round things out. Starch idea so far is fried polenta wedges,  maybe with some blue cheese in them, which I could make ahead and fry that evening. Do I need a cooked vegetable? Dessert is probably necessary as well and could be kind of rich. Maybe just some vanilla ice cream topped with a little espresso powder and bourbon. Hmmm. Any ideas, particularly for the app? Maybe just some nice olives?

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:08:59 PM »
For the chicken, make a fennel kraut or slaw. Do another pickled thing like shrimp or pickled roasted cauliflower heads. Maybe some panchan to keep it light.

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 06:32:04 AM »
For the chicken, make a fennel kraut or slaw. Do another pickled thing like shrimp or pickled roasted cauliflower heads. Maybe some panchan to keep it light.
Pickled shrimp is so good and very easy to make.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
Pickled shrimp is so good and very easy to make.

Thanks, noted.

KOPP - what is fennel "kraut"?

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »
Take a fennel bulb and shred it - you want strands to look like cabbage. Then salt lightly and treat it like you're making sauerkraut - the salting and packing helps create the brine and pulls water out of the cells. Be careful - you don't want to leech out the anise flavor. But you want to get it pickled to use with mild to medium meats like chicken and sausages. It's fantastic as an add-in to the meats for a nice zing. Almost as good as pickled ramps.

Do you have a good sauerkraut recipe? If not, I'll dig out the one an ex and I made for an Oktoberfest dinner. You need to have a light touch with roots like fennel and ramps, since you want them to keep their flavor rather than be overcome by the brine and spices. I've done it twice and got lucky once. Tried to follow what Nicholas did one time for ramps. Hopefully he'll post the recipe some time.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 01:11:35 PM »
We made a side dish and dessert from the August Food & Wine for a recent dinner party, both excellent. Corn, pancetta and red pepper, served it room temp instead of warm, so delicious. And a blueberry tart with vanilla ice cream, the tart was simple to make. Both were done ahead in order to have the oven heat cleared out before entertaining. Let me know if you want me to send the recipes.