Author Topic: Anyone ever make popovers?  (Read 2451 times)

Offline rebelliousrose

Anyone ever make popovers?
« on: December 21, 2009, 09:10:43 PM »
If so, can you make decent ones in a muffin tin, or do I have to run around and find a popover pan?

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
Re: Anyone ever make popovers?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:28:49 PM »
The last time I tried to make popovers, I was ten. They fused to the muffin pan and I spent a week trying to scrub it off.  The ones I made in muffin liners fused to the liners.

This probably does not help you.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:25:09 PM »
If so, can you make decent ones in a muffin tin, or do I have to run around and find a popover pan?

I totally have done this, many times, and the results, as far as recipient reviews, are very, very good. I've only eaten popovers made the correct way one time, when I was working at Restaurant Eugene, and my version is totally suitable.

I go the Alton Brown route, and use basically the same recipe for popovers and Dutch Babies and Yorkshire Pudding. Pretty much all the same thing.

Muffin tin makes them a bit shorter, but no worry. You can just have 2 instead of 1.  :)
Food is my favorite.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:57:03 AM »
I've made them many times also. They are elegant and delicious I think. The first time I made them they didn't rise properly and after much discussion on the AC site it was determined that AP flour should be used instead of bread flour. I use the recipe that came with my popover pan or Alton Brown's Food Channel recipe. I don't see why you couldn't do them in a muffin pan, just preheat it, I think it is important that they are started in a hot pan.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:17:15 AM »
In a related topic does anyone make Yorkshire Pudding this time of year?  My family has always done a rib roast for Christmas dinner but has never made Yorkshire Pudding out of the drippings.  Perhaps I'll try this year. 

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 09:19:56 AM »
The folks I'm visiting for Xmas day are making Yorkshire pudding - she's gotten pretty good at it. One of the problems with making it in the South is the protein content (or lack thereof) of the 'suthern' flour vendors - better to use Pillsbury to get it fluffy than the local stuff. Or so I've been told.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 09:29:09 AM »
I use a muffin pan with great results.  it is nonstick but I butter it well anyway.  Mark Bittman had a recent post in The Minimalist column about popovers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/dining/23mini.html?_r=1&hpw

and I posted this on the past forum, it is a recipe for breakfast popovers that everyone loves:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/15/magazine/15food-t-002.html

Offline rebelliousrose

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »
Why, thank y'all; I knew this was the place to go. My mom used to make Yorkshire pudding all the time, but I can't get to her recipe since it's six states away, but I can get it next time I go to her house.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 09:53:45 AM »
It originated as a way to catch drippings of the meat - it was supposed to be the first course. Since it was doubtful you could afford a large enough roast to feed the family, this was a way to give them something to fill up on - guess it's a proto-'hamburger helper'.

A Google gave me this link - it has the 'royal' seal of approval...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article5142050.ece
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:02:43 AM by KoPP »

Offline rebelliousrose

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 12:18:12 AM »
After much struggle (2 test batches) I got the little buggers to do what they were supposed to; I'll post the recipe, because the first batch made a very interesting Yorkshire pudding kind of thing; very crisp on the outside and fluffy like a yeast roll within.