Author Topic: Let's Talk Bagels  (Read 10299 times)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

Let's Talk Bagels
« on: December 21, 2009, 10:51:51 AM »
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Let's Talk Bagels
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:55:11 AM »
Agree on B.B.'s bagels. They are pretty amazing. They a bit large, but they are fantastic.
I like their pumpernickel and their rye best.

Yesterday's lunch was a BB's pumpernickel bagel with grapefruit marmalade and aged cheddar cheese. Awesome combo.

And it isn't even close for me either :), but luckily it's close to where my boss lives so i have a standing order when he goes by there.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:20:24 PM »
BB's is our absolute fave. The bagels are amazing, and we usually buy a dozen when we make the trek. If you split them and freeze them they reheat very well. My guy, an ex NYC/Jerseyite, swears they are exactly the same as those he used to scarf down as a younger dude.
I mapquested Essex and it's in the heart of some of my least favorite territory to drive in, not to mention being a longer drive for us. Are their bagels worth the traffic snarls?

Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Barnum

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:21:04 PM »

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 12:28:22 PM »

Offline Minerva

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 01:06:57 PM »
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 01:53:33 PM »

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 10:02:24 AM »
Have you ever tried Bagelicious in E.Cobb?

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 10:06:06 AM »

That was another place I wanted to add to the next tier list. Among the best of the rest but compared to the the Big Two.

It's.....

Not...

Even....

in the same league.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 10:08:45 AM »

On Johnson Ferry?  Yes, been in there a couple times.  HUGE crowd of local regulars say something.  The bagels themselves may not compete for the "authentic" crown, but the sandwiches are above average.  Really more of a little deli than a bagel joint.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 10:20:50 AM »
And the Brooklyn Bagel that took the place of the original (I think) BL is better IMHO. But it's close.

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 10:51:18 AM »
In that case I will have to make the trek to B.B's.  I do love a good bagel and appreciate the "real deal".  Every time I visit my family in NY I have my ritual: I grab a pie, a dozen bagels, and a hero from a "pork store" (not necessarily in one sitting  ;)) .   

Hmmmmm, maybe this is why I tend to pack on 5lbs with every visit?

Offline RdBchAndy

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 12:05:30 PM »
Wandered by BB's today for the first time.   I really wanted to like this place, as bagels tempt my palette and I thought there might be some good desert's!!!!!!!!! 

Overall, I thought the bagels were definitely at the leading edge of Atlanta bagels (not saying much).  As a comparison to New York bagels, some definition of terms is required.   There is no such thing as "a New York bagel".   As a recovering New Yorker, I can say that there is a high level of variability in New York bagel shops; some excellent and some not so much.   

If BBs were plopped down on gisland where I grew up, I think it would be in the middle of the pack.   A good, solid bagel shop that folks would patronize, but wouldn't be anything special.  It would be better than a lot of the dreck out there.   And that's pretty darn good considering it's in way suburban Atlanta/South South Carolina.

It definitely has the feel of a NY bagel shop/deli which I haven't run into lately.   Definitely a good thing for us way out here.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 11:18:09 AM »

Offline Chloe

• Chow Down Atlanta
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 07:43:40 AM »
I've been a fan of BB's for a long time.  Their boiled bagels are magnificent with a dough that's sweetish/sourish at the same time.  Essex comes in second but then again, their dough is hand rolled for them by BB's (the recipe is a little different, though).

It is quite a trek to go to BB's and it even makes it more impossible for city dwellers because they are only open til 2PM everyday.  By noon, most of the bagel flavors are gone so go early.

Or...

Follow me on twitter (@chowdownATL) -- I usually pick-up bagels once a month and deliver to friends who live ITP (pick-up point is usually Midtown/Buckhead).  It's a favor I gladly do (I don't get any discounts and I don't charge extra.)  My next delivery is probably in 2 weeks.  I'll announce on twitter when/where.