Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 4125 times)

Offline biskuit

Re: Chicago
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 06:49:25 AM »
Yes, Portillo's is a chain (they have them in California and Indiana, too, I think), and the one on Ontario especially is tacky and touristy. Its a bit like Chicago's Varisty, though. If you want a Chicago dog, or a sausage and beer, or an Italian beef, you could do a lot worse. For Italian beef, I actually think Portillo's is better than Al's. Here's a Serious Eats roundup: http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2010/10/the-best-italian-beef-sandwich-in-chicago-illinois-als-portillos.html

Offline shoeshine boy

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 07:51:01 AM »
all I know is that all my Chicago friends have said, independently that Portillo's has the best dogs. I know that we'll be hitting up Hot Doug's as well on Friday because I'm not missing the Duck Fat Fries.
as for other food, we eat just about anything. we don't like to break the bank with every meal, entree price probably $15-$20 tops though we're more than happy to have 1 nicer, pricier meal. the only thing we don't like is a lot of pretension. you know, the kind of place where they act like you should be grateful to eat there.

Offline chefmoss

• Email
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 08:01:17 AM »
http://www.mannysdeli.com/  best deli outside of NYC.  Hot pastrami to die for.

http://www.miafrancesca.com/static.asp?path=3115,3143
  great italian

Greek Islands, Santorini's, and Rodity's or any place in greek town

http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/grill.html

Offline Daniel

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
We had an amazing meal at the Publican last year.  While this place is very. Meat centric, their fish and veggie dishes stole the show.  A sardine dish was the big winner of the night.

I'll also second Portillo's; one of the, if not the best chain fast food places I have ever eaten at.  I had beefs from Al's and Portillos last year and Portillos was definitely better.

Hot Dougs is great, but the wait can be a bit much.

Check out the www.lthforum.com Chicago's foodie board.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:12:57 AM by Daniel »

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »
Just returned home over the weekend from Chicago.

++1 for Purple Pig and Girl and the Goat.  Both had great food, great wine lists and very helpful service.  We ended up receiving several complimentary dishes at G&G after we asked waitress for suggestions before we decided.  Also got one free dish at PP.  Chicago is a friendly place!

Alinea - not so much.  Most. expensive. meal. EVER.  Way too pretentious and way too much sweet stuff, wine overpriced and not well matched to food.  They are precious and they know it. (cf - dined at Manresa in January and it was totally worth it, ditto French Laundry).   We much more enjoyed the tasting menu/wine pairings next night at Topolobampo for less than half the price.

Lou Malnati's seems superior to Gino's East at the moment for deep dish.  Probably depends on the location you visit.

Nice obligatory Greek meal at Santorini with friend and 3 young spawn.  You can't go wrong at any of those places on S. Halsted. 

Offline biskuit

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 04:42:40 PM »
bettylouski, sorry to hear that about Alinea, ate there once several years ago and it was among the best meals i've ever had - with a wonderful wine pairing, too. that said, they continue to change things up all the time and it's certainly not the right cup of tea for many folks.

glad you had good experiences at purple pig and girl and goat, love em both.

Offline shoeshine boy

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 07:36:06 AM »
just returned from my 2nd (likely annual) visit to Chicago. tried Gino's East for deep dish this time. I have to say, I like Lou Malnati's better. something about their crust appeals to me more than Gino's. did the architectural boat tour Friday afternoon. well worth the money. for a nice meal we ate an early dinner at The Gage, across from The Bean. OH. MY. GOD! it was fantastic! we started with roasted bone marrow with candied bacon jam and confit beef tongue. 2nd we had Seared Sea Scallops Chinese Broccoli, Korean “BBQ” Short Ribs, Toasted Peanut, Kimchi and for a 3rd we had Seared Duck Breast Crispy Confit Leg, English Peas, Baby Carrots, Pickled Red Onion Marmalade, Bacon Dashi. this was easily in the top 10, maybe top 5 of my best meals ever.
later in the weekend we made the customary trip to Portillo's this time sampling their Italian Beef and the Beef and Cheddar. neither disappointed. we also, as usual made several trips to Culver's for frozen custard. :)

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 03:56:45 PM »
Headed to chi town next week for a family reunion. Any suggestions for a nice place to eat with a group of nine that includes a couple of teenagers and a well behaved (I hope) almost nine year-old? Maybe a nice steakhouse? Or upscale Italian American? Nothing too trendy or slick. Thanks!