Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 4126 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Chicago
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:25:32 PM »
I can't believe that we don't have a Chi-Town thread, but here goes. So, I'll be going there for work next Wednesday afternoon and leaving on Friday evening. I need a dinner/small plates option on Wednesday (probably around 8 by the time I get into downtown). Meeting a friend/co-worker and looking for a good place we can walk to. Open to most anything, though the option of a cocktail is most appreciated. Hotel is the Hilton at 198 East Delaware Place, 60611. Any ideas?

Offline biskuit

Re: Chicago
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 06:20:44 AM »
I really like a place called the Purple Pig, surprisingly good small plates/wine bar, though it's at the opposite end of the magnificent mile from where you'll be - so you CAN walk, but it's probably a 20 minute walk. Quartino is another solid option - Italian, also small plates choices, also a decent walk away.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:01:01 AM »
I can't believe that we don't have a Chi-Town thread, but here goes. So, I'll be going there for work next Wednesday afternoon and leaving on Friday evening. I need a dinner/small plates option on Wednesday (probably around 8 by the time I get into downtown). Meeting a friend/co-worker and looking for a good place we can walk to. Open to most anything, though the option of a cocktail is most appreciated. Hotel is the Hilton at 198 East Delaware Place, 60611. Any ideas?
6 blocks west and 5 north is Spice World. That's a good hour of shopping fun. Did you review any of the sites like Restaurant Wars, or Bourdrain?

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »
I've never been to Chicago but there's obviously a heavy Rick Bayless presence there.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:52:44 AM »
Thanks guys. I haven't done any research on that area in a couple of years (since my last business trip there) so I thought I'd start with you!

I really like Rick Bayless' cookbooks but I was seriously underwhelmed by my restaurant visit. I think we went to the fancy one - I remember we had to take a cab, and it was just good. Also have visited Blackbird in the past and liked it but I really want somewhere sort of close and walkable.

I'll check out the suggestions! I'm also open to a great place to get a hot dog, Italian beef, a Polish, or even pizza within walking distance.

Offline totm

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:07:49 PM »
Not really a small plates place but Tru is only about 6 blocks south.  Fantastic experience.

I personally wasn't real impressed with the Gino's East on East Superior Street when I was in Chi-town 2 years ago.

And I will never fly into O'hare again if I'm headed downtown.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline biskuit

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:25:49 PM »
Regarding Ohare, take the train in to the city, the taxi ride is usually horrible if its anytime between 7am and 7pm

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:33:44 PM »
Actually, lucked out and am going in and out through Midway. Chicago cabbies seem particularly scary to me, esp from O'Hare to downtown, but, then again, I haven't ridden in many taxis latley, and none in NYC since the 80's, so I may be a taxi wuss. I remember doing some serious back-seat-driver involuntary braking last time I was en route from Chicago airports to downtown and vice versa a couple years ago. I don't really like the extra adrenalin punch on the way to a work conference that I already want to fight or flee from...

Offline totm

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 06:53:30 AM »
Regarding Ohare, take the train in to the city, the taxi ride is usually horrible if its anytime between 7am and 7pm
I did take the train last time.  It so happens that somebody else, also flying in from ATL, flew in to Midway at the same time.  He made it to our mutual destination about 20 minutes before I did.   Not only is it quicker to/from Midway to/from downtown but with Midway being a smaller airport it is quicker to get around.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 08:04:27 AM »
The only thing I like about O'Hare is that there's some pretty good German spots around Downer's Grove south of the airport. Otherwise, it's a downer.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 12:58:00 AM »
Made the trip safely, even though there was significant turbulance on the way there and then we had to circle up and down and up and down before we landed - causing the woman in the seat in front of me to use the "little bag". Then an over head compartment popped open during our rough landing. No fun.

Had an ok, but very expensive meal at " Rosebud" steakhouse the first night bc that was a close place to the hotel that was open at 10:20. Avoid. Rest of the time was so busy sitting still in hotel conference rooms that I didn't get a chance to try anything outside of the Hilton Suites Magnificant Mile "Club Med" - also avoid. No time to get to the Spice House or to do much of anything except take a couple of walks to the lake.

Nothing like sitting on hotel conference room chairs for eight hours, two straight days, and then sitting on a plane for an additional two hours. Ouch. But, I did splurge and get a business class seat on the way back, which is always good. I figured it may be last last time I have a chance to upgrade for a relatively inexpensive fee before Airtran is acquired and there are no $50 upgrades on crammed Southwest planes. And, by the way, it looked like the Southwest customers across the terminal were hating the whole SW boarding cattle-call thing.

Offline chefmoss

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
Any other Chicago recommendations?  Not too crazy expensive to cheap- im open for date night or family outing ideas...

Offline shoeshine boy

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 07:40:36 AM »
need to bump this thread. just found out I'll be in Chicago in August so I need some fresh recommendations. friends have already said that we have to go to Portillio's for dogs and Italian Beefs. we're strongly considering hitting Joe's Stone Crabs for the "nice" meal as I don't know that I'll ever go to Miami. where else should we go?

Offline biskuit

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 11:42:46 AM »
Portillo's is solid if not spectacular. Please don't go to Joe's in Chicago, though. Chicago has tons of amazing restaurants. I've been up there quite a bit lately for work, and the list is nearly infinite depending on what you're looking for. Describe what you're after and maybe I can help.

Here are some favorites:
Hot Doug's
Purple Pig
Publican
Publican Quality Meats
Avec
Big Star
Girl and the Goat
(Alinea) if you can get in and have $$$$
XOCO is fun for breakfast/lunch
Fumare Smoked Meat for pastrami
Graziano Grocery for Italian sandwiches
Lou Malnati's for deep dish

Offline totm

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 06:39:02 AM »
The last time I was in Chi-town I was drug to Portillo's.  Way to touristy and chain-like for my personal preference.