Author Topic: Cigar City Brewing  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Daniel

Cigar City Brewing
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:06:39 AM »
I have been told that the arrival date for CC is confirmed and that they will be in stores here in June.  This is very exciting.  I didn't get word on what the lineup is, but asked my retailer to see if he could confirm with the distributor.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
Re: Cigar City Brewing
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »
Awesome.  I picked up some Cigar City beers in Athens a few weeks ago.  Guava Grove is one of the best beers I've had recently and I was very excited to find bottles of Hunahpu and Dirac.  It will be very disappointing if we don't get their small batch stuff.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:21:34 AM »
Awesome.  I picked up some Cigar City beers in Athens a few weeks ago.  Guava Grove is one of the best beers I've had recently and I was very excited to find bottles of Hunahpu and Dirac.  It will be very disappointing if we don't get their small batch stuff.

where in Athens?  i didn't realize they had been cleared for distribution in GA.  i know it's been talked about for a while, but i thought June was that date.

Offline AndrewW06

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »
There is a certain bottle shop in Athens that often has select beers mysteriously pop up on their shelves that are not distributed in GA

Offline Daniel

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »
5 points?

IMO, that is really stupid.  In a state where liquor sales are as regulated as they are in the state of GA, I wouldn't do anything that could risk my permit.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:24:32 AM »
5 points?

IMO, that is really stupid.  In a state where liquor sales are as regulated as they are in the state of GA, I wouldn't do anything that could risk my permit.
Years and years ago, Greens used to put high-gravity beers on the shelves with no apparent fears. Sometimes they wouldn't be available for a couple of months, and sometimes they'd be just above the 6% limit, but enforcement used to be pretty lax.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 02:40:41 PM »
I wasn't going to post the name publicly, but since it's out there, yes it was 5 points.  Virtually everything the Cigar City offers was sitting on the shelf.  I'm not actually sure if it's illegal at this point though.  I'm pretty sure they actually got approval to come into GA last year, but it has been them who haven't gotten around to actually sending anything.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 03:02:57 PM »
I wasn't going to post the name publicly, but since it's out there, yes it was 5 points.  Virtually everything the Cigar City offers was sitting on the shelf.  I'm not actually sure if it's illegal at this point though.  I'm pretty sure they actually got approval to come into GA last year, but it has been them who haven't gotten around to actually sending anything.

are their products priced right or were they at a premium?

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »
Guava Grove was $9, which seemed like a great deal for such an awesome beer.  Dirac was $20 and Hunahpu was $26.  I read someone say Dirac was $15 at the brewery and I have no idea what Hunahpu normally goes for.  It was more than I wanted to pay, but I couldn't see them sitting there and not get them.  In trading circles Hunahpu is up there with Dark Lord and the rarest Russian River sours and goes on ebay for hundreds of dollars, so I didn't really care.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 06:24:16 AM »
The decision for a brewery to bring their beers into Georgia isn't a matter for the government.  It's the brewery's decision of whether a) it's a good market b) can they meet the demand c) find the right fit for a distributor.

The brewer from Cigar City was a brewer in Atlanta and knows it's a good market.  It was more a matter of working out b) and c).

Offline MadBob

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 06:52:17 AM »
 Hunahpu sure is tasty huh! I was able to try it a couple weeks back gratis! Sadly, at that price, I will let you purchase and share! snicker
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.