Author Topic: Alpharetta Farmer's Market  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Corky

Alpharetta Farmer's Market
« on: April 16, 2011, 03:16:42 PM »
Good to see the AFM re-opening. Must mean summer and fresh produce is coming. Saw some interesting new vendors and sorry not to see some old trusted vendors. It is early so maybe they will reappear soon. Among the new vendors, I tried High Road Craft Ice Cream and Sorbet and Noemi's tamales. Although High Road had some interesting sounding flavors I was sold after tasting my first two. I'll try the rest during the summer. One flavor I wasn't so sure I would like was made with green tea and brown rice flour. Man, was it super... Bought a pint on the spot. Then I tried pistachio i/c. I enjoyed that one, too. So, two pts ended up coming home to the freezer. It's going to be a fun summer on Saturday mornings.
Then I tried Noemi's tamales. Probably the best tamales I have ever had in Atlanta. I used to buy Zocalo's tamales at the market, but last year they seemed more interested in seeing how much masa they could use to replace the filling, so I quit buying. Noemi's tamales are almost as good as the ones I used to get at roadside tamale stands in Texas and New Mexico. They also sell a 'gravy' that is pretty darn good. I'm going to have some darn good lunches when I'm working from my home office.
Stopped by deGraan Farms Grass-Fed Beef. I had an interesting conversation with the owners and learned quite a bit about their "natural" beef. Need to clean out the freezer some before I buy one of their packages. I will try some of their steaks and other cuts before I buy a package. Does anyone know anything about their products?
Really good to see more vendors even without the old regulars being there yet. The improvements in the vendors at AFM may, just may, keep me from also making a trip to the Cumming Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. The gas prices may make that decision for me.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline uOTPia Dweller

Re: Alpharetta Farmer's Market
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 03:25:15 PM »
. Among the new vendors, I tried High Road Craft Ice Cream a

Which BTW, the Pie Hole now serves.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Northside Chip

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:03:58 AM »
Guessing this is Saturdays on Alpharetta square somewhere?

NC

Offline Elijah Snow

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »
How was the produce? I've always been sorely disappointed in the vegetable offerings at the Alpharetta market.

Offline Corky

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »
How was the produce? I've always been sorely disappointed in the vegetable offerings at the Alpharetta market.

Not too many vegetables. I imagine it is a bit early.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline RootsInAlpharetta

• Roots in Alpharetta
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »
Guessing this is Saturdays on Alpharetta square somewhere?

It is in downtown Alpharetta in the parking lot next to city hall. Main Street(highway 9) immediately south of city hall.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
http://www.alpharettafarmersmarket.com/

With all these questions I figured a Mr. Obvious post was warranted.

Offline TrickyD

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 07:27:41 AM »
I had seen the website, but with the vendors page saying they were updating for 2010, I didn't know if the other info was up to date.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 11:40:41 AM »
If you have not been recently, you have not been. As my schedule is, I had not been since it was adjacent to then Café Efendi, now that underwhelming Italian restaurant. They outgrew that and moved just a block or two north to the other side of Old Milton. This thing is rockin’

As I am wont to do, I seem to ignore the “farmers” in “farmers market” but I did notice plenty produce hucksters. One place that I will keep on the radar screen is Two Sisters Bakery out of Milton. At about 10 o’clock, they had one bag left of bagels (only sesame). They assured me they are boiled. I was impressed. They were certainly smaller than BB's but denser and pretty damn good. They appear to have no Internet presence, not even social media. Between that and the fact they underestimated how quickly the bagels would sell out, I am guessing they are newbies, but I will try to find out more next time. They had other baked goods too, but IMHO they can be a player in the bagel market.

Maicon sent me a message a while back about Atlantic Express Seafood and he has written about them since. But I picked up some good cooked mudbugs and deveined shrimp. He has the story on them, but the brother of either the husband or wife owner team is a fisherman and ships up the best stuff.  Eggrollin’ was selling some pretty good Filipino eggrolls and a noodle dish or two.

Lady was selling okay pirogues, that hot dog dude was selling Hoffman Hots, a lady making Belgium waffles…there was something for everyone and they still have plenty of actual farming goods, the type of stuff I put on top of burgers.

Believe you me, this thing has greatly expanded from when this thread was started. 

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 08:00:26 PM »
As a Roswell resident, it pains me to say it... Alpharetta's Farmer's Market is way better than the one in Roswell.  It's sad because when the Roswell (Riverside) market started at Riverside Park, it felt like this could become a really cool event.  Plenty of good vendors.  Good foot traffic because of the park.  Alpharetta's was basically in a parking lot.  Seems to me the move to city hall pretty much changed the whole vibe and it's gone pretty much downhill since. 

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
Though I live in Roswell, it’s right on the border of Alpha and JC, so Riverside is the third closest. I wonder if JC’s will be sustainable. They are already handcuffed by the calendar because logistically it has to be between sports seasons.

They got off to a credible start, but like I said Alpha’s has exploded so much and is only about five or so miles from Johns Creek.

Hats off to Alpharetta from this food snob. Both the weekly farmers market and food truck events have been overwhelming successes and every gastronome worth his weight in prime steak has to be looking forward to the who’s who coming to Avalon.

Best of luck Johns Creek FM.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:37:23 PM by uOTPia Dweller »

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 02:22:38 PM »
Yeah, we've been going to the Alpharetta market while we wait for the Roswell market to open. Not much produce yet, but it's early. The stuff that's there is really good though. We're big fans of Atlantic Seafood and DeGraan Farms too. I forget the name, but on market Saturdays, our breakfast is a couple split pretzel rolls with ham and cheese baked on top from one of the bakers.

The Roswell market has been hamstrung by the UGA extension program that was running it. The city has taken over management this year and all the vendors I'm in touch with sound excited about the changes coming up. So hopefully the Roswell market will improve, but in the meantime the Alpharetta market is the place to be.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 08:32:13 PM »
Stopped by the Roswell market before heading up to Alpharetta. So far, Alpharetta has Roswell beat. There's more of everything there and definitely more vendors than I saw last week. I'm pretty hopeful about Roswell improving this year, but they've got quite a ways to go before they match Alpharetta.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Roxro

• Email
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »
I had heard the buzz that Roswell Farmers' Market was new and improved so decided to check it out this morning.  They have moved to a different part of the parking lot (better), but seemed to have less venders.  The produce was slim- not a single okra to be found.  Not much else beside the usual homemade soap, salsas and baked goods.  Not very crowded at 9:00 on a beautiful Saturday.

So, I  headed up Highway 9 to my usual Saturday morning at Alpharetta where they had a handful of artisans and then the usual market venders which seemed three times bigger than Roswell.  Lots of food being cooked (waffles, potato pancakes, hot dogs, crepes, fresh-squeezed lemonade) for people to eat as they wander through.  Where is the fresh smoothie gals from last year?  Enjoyed a King of Pops.  Lots of plants, veggies, some great organic strawberries, etc.  Packed with people.    Too bad, Roswell, but this market has you beat by a long-shot plus the little boutiques to pop into.