Author Topic: where between here and Macon for lunch?  (Read 5525 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
where between here and Macon for lunch?
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:36:31 PM »

If a person was leaving town and heading for the coast ( I'm not saying that I"m going mind you ), where would you stop for lunch in the first 2 hours... ?

What about Catfish Mahoney's in Mcdonough? 

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:51:57 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: where between here and Macon for lunch?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 12:04:45 AM »
Maybe the original OB's in the same town? But only if you leave late (not really that far from home for most of us)...and get the pulled pork sandwiches and maybe the onion rings, but no ribs. If you do, ask for both kinds of sauces, to combine, and coleslaw, to top the sandwiches with as well.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:10:46 AM »
I second OB and the pulled pork sandwich.
I'd also recommend just eating on-site and not attempting to eat it while driving. 
Especially when wearing white with a dog in the car.

Offline CodePoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:38:59 AM »

Offline CodePoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:40:51 AM »
Never mind... I found the address

OB's BBQ
725 Industrial Blvd
Mcdonough, GA 30253

(678) 432-6002

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 06:46:39 AM »
Maybe the original OB's in the same town? But only if you leave late (not really that far from home for most of us)...and get the pulled pork sandwiches and maybe the onion rings, but no ribs. If you do, ask for both kinds of sauces, to combine, and coleslaw, to top the sandwiches with as well.
You could go a little ways further and do Fresh Air in Jackson or Macon. It's pretty good (better than the last OB's I had).

http://www.freshairbarbecue.com/locations.html

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 06:54:36 AM »
http://www.yelp.com/biz/jeneanes-cafe-macon

Well, in Macon.  Jeneanes is old time meat and 3 downtown, they also have a suburban location.  Haven't been in a few years.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 07:48:34 AM »
I think Jeneane's must have been the place my wife and I stumbled across while looking for food in Macon on the way back from Savannah.  If this was the place, it was full of post-churchgoers, all at least 70 years old, who apparently all knew each other.  Overheard well-to-do-appearing couples talking with other such couples about where they were going to spend their summer.  It was a real time capsule.  Loved it.

I've probably averaged half a dozen weekend trips a year to Savannah for the past few years, and I haven't yet figured out where to eat on the way there or back.  My wife and I have eaten unmemorable food in Macon a few times.  We wandered into Dublin once and ate in some unmemorable Italian place.  These places with the "historic downtowns" are the draw for us, not the food.  More often than not, we just bring a sandwich from Toscano or Star and stop at the rest stop to picnic.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:39:13 AM »
I think Jeneane's must have been the place my wife and I stumbled across while looking for food in Macon on the way back from Savannah.  If this was the place, it was full of post-churchgoers, all at least 70 years old, who apparently all knew each other.  Overheard well-to-do-appearing couples talking with other such couples about where they were going to spend their summer.  It was a real time capsule.  Loved it.

I've probably averaged half a dozen weekend trips a year to Savannah for the past few years, and I haven't yet figured out where to eat on the way there or back.  My wife and I have eaten unmemorable food in Macon a few times.  We wandered into Dublin once and ate in some unmemorable Italian place.  These places with the "historic downtowns" are the draw for us, not the food.  More often than not, we just bring a sandwich from Toscano or Star and stop at the rest stop to picnic.
The JoMax in Metter isn't too bad - sauce is a bit too sweet. There's a meat and 2 in downtown Metter that I've been wanting to try, but it would take too much time out of the drive.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/edenfields-restaurant-metter

Offline jimmy

• Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:59:36 AM »
I like NuWay in Macon. Slaw dog!

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »
I recommend NOT OBs. Hope i caught you in time.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »
I recommend NOT OBs. Hope i caught you in time.

Really??? I've eaten there a fair number of times over the past 15 years, and while it might not be the best, it was always good. Again, I'd avoid the ribs (yuck) and go for the pulled pork sandwich and the slaw. Even better if you can get them from the little take-out kitchen in the back.

What didn't you like?

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 11:32:22 AM »
I've had more great meals at OBs, but I do think they are on a decline. I'm sure I will give them another shot, but chances are next trip to Florida, I will try to hold off until Smoke n' Pig in Valdosta. Good food, but absurdly good sauces. I know Valdosta doesn't fit into the parameters asked on this thread, but OB's isn't on my must tries like it used to be.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 11:35:56 AM »
The last two times I was at O.B.s, the sauce tasted off, and the pulled pork didn't have much of a smoked flavor to it.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 11:54:10 AM »
What KOPP said. The pulled pork tasted boiled and dry, the ribs i wont even bother to discuss and the brisket was terrible too.
Sorry, just my opinion based on the 3 times i've "fooled" myself into going there hoping it would be good.