Author Topic: Shared kitchens  (Read 2626 times)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Shared kitchens
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:14:19 AM »
Looks like they're loading this one up in Seattle:

http://www.king5.com/news/local/West-Seattle-Cooks-Shared-Kitchen-119295209.html

What's the local laws about using shared kitchens? I know there's one somewheres in Old 4th Ward or close to it - does it really save money?

Offline Foodism Forever

Re: Shared kitchens
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »
My understanding is that since the new Georgia food code went into effect, there is no such thing as a legal shared kitchen, unless it falls under Department of Ag rules. There is one exception that I'm aware of - an operation in Dunwoody that lobbied for and received said exemption.

I know that this regulation flies in the face of MANY operators out there - restaurateurs as well as churches that have rented their facility out to "hermit crab" catering operations. The State of Georgia now views these operators as non-compliant.

Most shared kitchen situations benefited the owner (due to rental income from the second party), and were primarily geared to handle caterers' needs. There's really no viable solution for these now-homeless caterers other than starting up a new kitchen or leasing an abandoned one, and the cost barriers are tremendous.

However, if you are inquiring about this because you have a specific finished product to *manufacture* (such as jarred salsa), you might be able to go in a different direction with a couple of the shared *manufacturing* facilities that are cropping up in the state (legally). I believe that these fall under Department of Ag rules. But catering prepared food out of one of these facilities is not a legal option in Georgia, as I understand the regs.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:53:31 AM by Foodism Forever »

Offline foodgrrl

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:54:42 PM »

SharedKitchens.com operates on a membership plan to use their 2 kitchens, in Suwanee and Decatur.

AtlantaKitchensForRent.com is still a work in progress.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »
Looks like they're loading this one up in Seattle:

http://www.king5.com/news/local/West-Seattle-Cooks-Shared-Kitchen-119295209.html

What's the local laws about using shared kitchens? I know there's one somewheres in Old 4th Ward or close to it - does it really save money?

Of course it saves money.  If you have a business that only needs a kitchen for 3 hours a day.  King of Pops and others use the kitchen at Irwin Street Market in the Old 4th Ward.  Others (mainly bakers)  use the kitchen at the Entrepreunorium on Memorial.

No utilitiy bills and an hourly rate.....

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
Something happened recently with new rulings on using shared kitchens (something like a new tax, mebbe? I've been out of it for a while...) What is going on with the state?