Author Topic: Growlers in Decatur  (Read 7364 times)

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
Growlers in Decatur
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:25:07 PM »
They're allowed now.  Ale Yeah! will be getting some kegs to do fills, not sure who else will be doing it.  Should start soon. 

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Re: Growlers in Decatur
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:21:18 PM »
Very good to hear!  It won't be long before all the 108 year old lawmakers die off and leave room for more sensible members of society. 

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »

Some of the neat growlers that they are showing in Beer Advocate magazine are pretty snazzy, is there any word if they will only refill their own growlers ?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 06:31:41 AM »
Not suer they're going to let you have your own - think about sanitation. Places like Bear Republic will sell you one of theirs and refill it, but I think I remember them swapping out the growlers the last time I was there and taking the used one to get washed.

Might just be easier to go with beer cubes.It will stay fresher longer during its all too brief lifetime.

This is what I've wanted for years. I'd love to go to a dinner with a growler of dunkleweissbier during the summer, sit and relax with friends as the bubbles drift slowly by...

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:14:50 AM »

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:02:39 PM »
Guess we should link to the article..

http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-restaurants-food/beer-town-hop-city-899648.html

I know we all hate it when someone says " In California they do this and such"..   But at a nice brewery that my brother sometimes attends they have a one minute growler washer that will do one or up to four growlers at a time.  Most of what they have are replacements but a few months ago, after they got the spiffy growler washer they allowed folks to bring their own.  It's pretty nifty to have a cool Stainless Steel growlers with your name or your teams name on it I'm thinkin. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 01:14:54 PM »
Seeing as this flew under a number of radars, I'm thinking that you'll see a few places crop up selling growlers. I think the folks in Hop City will do it up right, which means you just may get to have your own giant sippy cup. I love it.

Offline Lorenzo

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 03:30:31 PM »
So, seriously, what's the skinny on the change in the law?  Was it a state law that was repealed/amended?  If so, this really went under the radar!

What are the limitations?  Do we now have the paradox of breweries/brewpubs not being allowed to sell growlers of the beer they make on the premises, while retail stores can sell growlers of other people's beer?  That would truly be weird.  The whole point--well, historically--was to allow people to bring home beer fresh from the brewery.

Offline AndrewW06

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 03:48:59 PM »
late last year the GA DoR reviewed and revised their view on growlers.  They are now allowed in Georgia (assuming local authorities allow them).  My understanding is the current interpretation of the law is that they can only be sold at a business that has an off premise license and do not sell liquor.  However, I saw that Twain's is looking into how they could sell growlers

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 08:33:03 PM »
From what I've read, it has to be a separate location from your bar (assuming you have one), and the folks over in Athens basically worked with the state to get the law clarified to the point that we wouldn't be seeing a number of places opening up and then shut down by the revenuers.

Ever since the day I had a sip of Stone that someone brought in from the coast in a grower, I was hoping that we'd someday have growlers.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 12:56:45 AM »
From what I've read, it has to be a separate location from your bar (assuming you have one), and the folks over in Athens basically worked with the state to get the law clarified to the point that we wouldn't be seeing a number of places opening up and then shut down by the revenuers.

Ever since the day I had a sip of Stone that someone brought in from the coast in a grower, I was hoping that we'd someday have growlers.
Yeah, I have a Stone 40 oz metal canteen and a glass growler.  At their brewery they have the most awesome signs I've ever seen: 15 minute parking for growler fills.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 09:39:44 AM »
Yeah, I have a Stone 40 oz metal canteen and a glass growler.  At their brewery they have the most awesome signs I've ever seen: 15 minute parking for growler fills.

Exactly.  I used to have a growler but left it behind when I left that state-whose-name-shall-not-be-mentioned but where Stone is located.  I don't see much of an advantage to filling a growler from a keg in a beer store.  Filling a growler from the freshest batch at one's local brewery is the whole point.  Well, maybe the change in the DoR regulations is the first step.  That's GA for ya--baby steps.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 10:03:15 AM »
I don't see much of an advantage to filling a growler from a keg in a beer store. 
Good for little parties when a keg is overkill.