Author Topic: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?  (Read 115509 times)

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
Re: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »
Thanks - I'll have to check out Greens, as it's closer to my neck of the woods.  Do need to get to Hop City, at some point...
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2010, 08:26:44 PM »
Just got back from the in-laws tonight, so some drinking was definitely in order.  On bottle #2 of the Bell's Two Hearted.  Very nice IPA that went quite well with the Chinese take-out (especially once I added a nice dose of sambal - to the food, not the beer!)

But, the beer I really want to mention is one I had on tap last week at Cyprus Pint and Plate, in midtown.  Schnieder Aventinus Weizenbock.  Holy crap, did I like this beer!  Beautiful amber-brown, nice head. Bananas, figs, smoke, caramel, and more.  Did not taste the 8.2% ABV.  Need to find this retail.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/72/224
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/schneider-aventinus/2224/

I've seen it at Greens Ponce, and do believe it's at Hop City as well. You do taste more of the alcohol from the bottle, IMO, but it is a pretty tasty pour.

Been looking for Moretti La Rossa, and can't find it - a decent dopple with great promise for pizza and pasta.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find Moretti La Rosa, Piggy.  I was sure that Harry's in Marietta had it.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline totm

« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2010, 07:48:32 AM »
Been looking for Moretti La Rossa, and can't find it - a decent dopple with great promise for pizza and pasta.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find Moretti La Rosa, Piggy.  I was sure that Harry's in Marietta had it.
Morettie La Rosa is widely available. Have seen at Total Wine, Green's, etc.  Promise for pizza?  Used to have La Rosa with pizza frequently before the crack down on high gravity beers.  The only decent readily available Italian beer.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2010, 09:48:58 AM »
But, the beer I really want to mention is one I had on tap last week at Cyprus Pint and Plate, in midtown.  Schnieder Aventinus Weizenbock.  Holy crap, did I like this beer!  Beautiful amber-brown, nice head. Bananas, figs, smoke, caramel, and more.  Did not taste the 8.2% ABV.  Need to find this retail.

Yes, it is really wonderful on tap, I had it earlier this week at The Midway and I think I've had it at a Decatur pub, maybe The Marlay or Mac McGee's.  I've bought it in the bottle at Green's on Ponce.  And you do not taste the alcohol like you do in some of the higher-gravity beers - which could be good or bad, depending...  :)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2010, 12:38:42 PM »

Yes, it is really wonderful on tap, I had it earlier this week at The Midway and I think I've had it at a Decatur pub, maybe The Marlay or Mac McGee's.  I've bought it in the bottle at Green's on Ponce.  And you do not taste the alcohol like you do in some of the higher-gravity beers - which could be good or bad, depending...  :)

It's right across from the door to the regular beer cooler area, top shelf.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2010, 10:31:42 PM »
It is a damn shame the we can't get Russian River beers in Georgia.  I've been drinking them the last few days in san Francisco, and Pliny the Elder is by far the best IPA I've ever had, while Consecration and Temptation are some of the best Belgian style sours I've had (including ones from Belgium).  Drinking another Pliny the Elder right now.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2010, 03:17:07 PM »

Well not tonight exactly..  but I saw that Summits had the Founders Breakfast Stout being opened at 11am today so I stopped in to get a taste of it on draught/draft....

It is a completely different beverage then out of the bottle...

Way, way more bourbon taste, and a tad more chocolate.    I am glad I tasted it, (at 1:30pm), but could only have ONE of those high gravity beerz that early.    I really liked it, but it would not, by any means, be my go-to beer.   Good for me once a week or so...

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2010, 03:25:13 PM »
which summits?  out your way?

Offline Barnum

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »

Well not tonight exactly..  but I saw that Summits had the Founders Breakfast Stout being opened at 11am today so I stopped in to get a taste of it on draught/draft....

Way, way more bourbon taste, and a tad more chocolate.    I am glad I tasted it, (at 1:30pm), but could only have ONE of those high gravity beerz that early.    I really liked it, but it would not, by any means, be my go-to beer.   Good for me once a week or so...

If you're talking about the KBS (Kentucky B'fast Stout), I shutter to think it has "way more bourbon taste".  I still have a couple bottles left from the 4-pack because it's too much bourbon for me.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »

If you're talking about the KBS (Kentucky B'fast Stout), I shutter to think it has "way more bourbon taste".  I still have a couple bottles left from the 4-pack because it's too much bourbon for me.

I'll take 'em..    no problemo...

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2010, 06:25:09 PM »
which summits?  out your way?

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout keg tapping!

At all three Summits at 11:00 a.m.!  This is an imperial stout brewed with massive amounts of coffee and chocolate, then cave-aged in oak bourbon barrels for a year!

11.2% ABV    70 IBUs
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:20:51 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline totm

« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »

Haven't had the KBS.  Personally, I'm over the whole beer on wood/bourbon flavor in beer thing.  Not being a bourbon/whisky/whiskey drinker (and actually a little repulsed at the aroma) I prefer to taste malt, hops, and yeast flavors in my beer.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2010, 12:14:37 PM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49418313@N02/4531722104/

Saw this at a Russian grocery and had to get it just for the name.  No, it didn't taste anything like lobster, just a lager with fairly good body (like the label). :D
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2010, 06:39:04 PM »
So this one is kind of cool, and pretty tasty.  A blend of an imperial IPA and and English style Old-Ale aged in oak for about a month.  Mellows some of the hops a bit, but they are definitely still there.  Not sure how many of these I can drink at 10%, but I like 'em!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/18862
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dogfish-head-burton-baton/39508/

There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2010, 10:46:32 PM »
So this one is kind of cool, and pretty tasty.  A blend of an imperial IPA and and English style Old-Ale aged in oak for about a month.  Mellows some of the hops a bit, but they are definitely still there.  Not sure how many of these I can drink at 10%, but I like 'em!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/18862
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dogfish-head-burton-baton/39508/

I will search this one out...     I do like Dogfish Head, and who knows, I might really like it?