Author Topic: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?  (Read 95744 times)

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
Re: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 06:56:11 PM »
I like real lambics and gueze, but they can seem one-dimensional and I much prefer Flemish sours and various other sour beers that have more going on (farmhouse saisons, American wilds, Hitachino Red Rice, many others).

Offline lkc

• Email
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »
May crack one of these tonight...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/11757

that certainly looks and sounds tasty... I am NOT a purist and truly enjoy a lot of these stouts that crank up the bitter chocolate and coffee flavors.
May crack one of these tonight...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/11757

How did you get the head on that beer?    ;D

Wow.. I bought a couple kinds of Founders beers this weekend and JUST opened a Breakfast Stout, not too bad on first sip...

It is really interesting with no head at all to speak of and a velvety chocolate taste.. This is a bit too cold right now and should improve in the next half hour.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/founders-breakfast-stout/14956/

I did get a 4-pack of Founders Double Trouble and found it REALLY hoppy.  I was told it was like my Loose Cannon, but it is, and I've only had one bottle of it, much hoppier than the Loose Cannon.  Here is what RB says about it..

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/founders-double-trouble-ipa/67360/

I tried this tonight. Went to Nikos in Snellville and got the last pack. Very nice! Reminds me of the coffee i'm currently drinking. Couldn't get that head/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:48:41 PM by lkc »

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 11:50:33 AM »
Founders, in Grand Rapids makes some tasty beer, that's for sure.
*** edit ****
Founders Imperial Stout has a wonderful flavor, it is fairly hoppy but I do like how it looks and I know it is well liked, it may be better on draught?  

This is my second taste of this smooth and creamy stout.  I can appreciate it, but it is not my favorite.  I will say that while I used to hold ..   This beer may get way better as you drink it?  Since it is a departure from the semi-mildly hoppy beers I like.

The beers that are almost ALWAYS in my fridge are

Loose Cannon
Founders Dry Hopped Pale Ale

Lagunitas Sonoma Farmhouse Hop Stoopid
Dogfish head 60 minutes
Sweetwater 420, sometimes
Terrapin Rye Squared
Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster
Cider, I am starting to like the various ciders available to us now.  I am pining for some Woodchuck Pear cider right now..

There is always a collection of stouts, some old ales, some wheat beers, and possibly a pilsner as well as other special beers that migrate into the mainstream consumption.  

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 05:22:49 PM »

Maybe it is a strange place to start.. but my first tonight is a Terrapin Hopsecutioner India Pale Ale.  I have had this beer in times past, this one tastes different to me?    Do any of you beer geeks taste that it is different than last years offering?

Offline totm

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 12:20:45 PM »
Terrapin Hopsecutioner India Pale Ale.  I have had this beer in times past, this one tastes different to me?    Do any of you beer geeks taste that it is different than last years offering?
Last year?  I thought it was only introduced in about the last 6 months.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 03:30:24 PM »
Terrapin Hopsecutioner India Pale Ale.  I have had this beer in times past, this one tastes different to me?    Do any of you beer geeks taste that it is different than last years offering?

Last year?  I thought it was only introduced in about the last 6 months. 

You are right, I was thinking of another beer....                  ::)

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 01:27:30 AM »
It was Thursday, which means Beer Night in our house.  We hit the Brick Store first where I tried the Nogne O dunkel wit and she had the Caracole saxo.  The Nogne gets some mixed reviews online but I liked it.  It's a strong, dark Belgian style wheat beer brewed with orange peel and coriander.  It was good, though I think some livelier carbonation would have helped.

Then we went to Mac McGee's for some Stone Arrogant Bastard and Houblon Chouffe.  If you haven't been you're missing out.  This is a beautiful, comfortable pub, probably my favorite pub to actually be in.  The beer list doesn't quite match BSP or the Porter, but it's so nice inside I'm happy just hanging out drinking a good, but not super rare beer.

Then we biked home and split a Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire.  This is a dark farmhouse style ale, nicely Bretty and spicy.  The Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere is much crisper and easier to drink, but I think Bam Noire is better balanced and doesn't lean so heavily on the tart apple flavor that's so prevalent in Brett beers.  Overall, it's hard to go wrong with Jolly Pumpkin.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 07:52:05 AM »
the arrogant bastard is probably my favorite right now....or is it the double bastard...stone is putting out some great beers

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2010, 05:46:52 PM »

I saw some Avery Ellie's Brown Ale and picked up a few..   Nice caramel taste, not too bitter, a good beverage for me..

CP even says she likes the taste of it...  btw.. I would rate this beer higher than the 83 that Ratebeer has it averaged.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/avery-ellies-brown-ale/63/

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2010, 05:47:59 PM »
the arrogant bastard is probably my favorite right now....or is it the double bastard...stone is putting out some great beers

I like the Arrogant Bastard too Daniel, I don't like the Oaked version of it as much....

Offline Daniel

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »

I saw some Avery Ellie's Brown Ale and picked up a few..   Nice caramel taste, not too bitter, a good beverage for me..

CP even says she likes the taste of it...  btw.. I would rate this beer higher than the 83 that Ratebeer has it averaged.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/avery-ellies-brown-ale/63/

bought a Avery duganA Friday, can't wait to get to this one.  everything i have had from avery has been top notch.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:21:24 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Daniel

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 05:29:20 PM »
Something strong

Loundry

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 11:13:13 PM »
Sierra Nevada Harvest wet hop ale

Hop hop hoppy!

Offline Barnum

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2010, 01:49:39 PM »
Stopped into my favorite local liquor store this afternoon (Smyrna World of Beverages).  As always, having a nice talk with one of the guys working there, asking questions about the nice display of Founders brews and lamenting that I understand they have some really hoppy options... but I was really more of a stout person...

He lowered his voice, looked around briefly, and said he could set me up with a 4-pack (and only a single 4-pack) of the Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from the back  (11.2% ABV, "an imperial stout brewed with a massive amount of coffee and chocolates then cave-aged in oak Bourbon barrels for an entire year" according to the label).  Before going back to the vault and getting someone to turn the other key (I assume), he wanted to confirm I was okay with the $20-ish tab for the 4.  Sure, why not, that's what I'd pay for it at a drinking establishment.  When he came back he explained that they got 10 cases and only 10 cases and they had regulars who were expecting this brew, hence it isn't out for the general riffraff (my interpretation of the conversation).

Anybody ever try the stuff?

Not sure if this is as rare as he said, but my google'ing seems to indicate it has been in other years (in 2009, 1400 cases only)... but if anyone is interested it might be a good idea to call ahead:
Smyrna World of Beverages.  (770) 431-9599

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »
Stopped into my favorite local liquor store this afternoon (Smyrna World of Beverages).  As always, having a nice talk with one of the guys working there, asking questions about the nice display of Founders brews and lamenting that I understand they have some really hoppy options... but I was really more of a stout person...

He lowered his voice, looked around briefly, and said he could set me up with a 4-pack (and only a single 4-pack) of the Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from the back  (11.2% ABV, "an imperial stout brewed with a massive amount of coffee and chocolates then cave-aged in oak Bourbon barrels for an entire year" according to the label).  Before going back to the vault and getting someone to turn the other key (I assume), he wanted to confirm I was okay with the $20-ish tab for the 4.  Sure, why not, that's what I'd pay for it at a drinking establishment.  When he came back he explained that they got 10 cases and only 10 cases and they had regulars who were expecting this brew, hence it isn't out for the general riffraff (my interpretation of the conversation).

Anybody ever try the stuff?

Not sure if this is as rare as he said, but my google'ing seems to indicate it has been in other years (in 2009, 1400 cases only)... but if anyone is interested it might be a good idea to call ahead:
Smyrna World of Beverages.  (770) 431-9599 

I am sure the Breakfast Stout that I still have a few bottles of is NOT the Kentucky, Bourbon barrel type, but it sure is good.  I am squirreling it away for a taste or two later in the year.   Lucky you.. btw..

The regular Breakfast Stout is PDG..  (pretty damn good).  Founders has some real hits on their list of offerings right now, many of their beers rated in the high 90% at Ratebeer and other beer boards.