Author Topic: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?  (Read 117619 times)

Offline MadBob

Re: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?
« Reply #450 on: May 21, 2011, 07:17:18 AM »
Love the cat picture!  I am a big fan of the Yeti but it is turning to that time of year when I want to put away stouts and heavier beers and go for something lighter.  I would love to hear new summer beer suggestions from the beer drinkers here.

This note is from Rob at Peak Organic Brewing: "Have you tried Summer Session Ale yet? It just arrived to Georgia last week. Incredible".

I am looking to find this one, and since the Simcoe Spring Ale was so tasty, Rob tells me that this is fantastic!

So, something to look for in the new summer suggestions. Normally I would not post without trying a product, but for Rob, I will make an exception, take a chance and hope discerning tastebuds will enjoy his offering!
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #451 on: May 21, 2011, 07:25:43 AM »
Speaking of which, Simcoe Spring Ale last night with a Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball, and a Burton Baton from Dogfish Head. And a Absolute Peach with White Cran Peach from Ocean Spray for a nitecap.
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #452 on: May 22, 2011, 09:32:15 AM »
Yesterday was kind of a crazy day.  Started at the Brickstore with tastings of Founders CBS, Struise Black Damnation IV Coffee Club, Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel, Beer Geek Bacon, Beer Geek Breakfast, Great Divide '09 Espresso Yeti, Founders '10 KBS, Terrapin '08 Wake n Bake, and Cigar City Duja Ve.  I wasn't really planning on it, but we ended up at the Porter last night and had Terrapin Big Sloppy Monster, Terrapin Substance Abuse, and Cantillon St Lamvinus.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #453 on: May 22, 2011, 02:59:22 PM »
Not a bad nite for beer tasting I might add... but today started with New Holland Dragons Milk Bourbon Barrell Stout on draft, very smooth and very tasty. Moved on to the Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus. Says they use a pound of cherries in every 22 oz bottle. Very nice cherry flavor without being obnoxious. Got into the Cigar City Humidor series, don't know which one, had a big "H" on the label. Try to find this one, and Cigar City has a bunch of new stuff getting ready for release. Got to get going on the Ballast Point Sea Monster Imperial Stout, but I am going to wait for the steak to grill before I crack that one...

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #454 on: May 25, 2011, 06:12:17 PM »
Last night I had Evil Twin Yin, a great Danish imperial stout.

Offline vino.envy

• Email
« Reply #455 on: May 26, 2011, 08:36:53 PM »
Last night I had Evil Twin Yin, a great Danish imperial stout.

NICE! Have you tried the Yang? The ultimate black and tan  ::)

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #456 on: May 27, 2011, 12:42:54 AM »
NICE! Have you tried the Yang? The ultimate black and tan  ::)
Haven't done Yang yet, though Yin was good enough to justify the expense.  Tonight we decided to go with the new Ale Yeah growler (Wild Heaven Ode to Mercy, which is OK), along with De Dolle Oerbier, Jailhouse Breakout Stout, Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza and Luciernaga.  I'll admit I was struggling trying to sing and play drums at the same time in Rock Band by the end of the night.

The growler selection at Ale Yeah can't really compete with Hop City, but it's just over a mile from my house, so I'm going to support it.  I really wish they had some Red Barn like HC though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:46:36 AM by jpellett251 »

Offline MadBob

« Reply #457 on: May 29, 2011, 07:48:15 AM »
Worked the Cigar City Jai Alai India Pale Ale and the Guava Grove, both went well with my Burger! I don't care for Lambic's, but the New Belguim Ohh LaLa Lambic was very nice by itself. No need for the anti acid wafers either!

Offline MadBob

« Reply #458 on: May 29, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »
Waiting for NASCAR, working the Peak Organic Summer Session Ale and now moving on to the Terrapin Monks Revenge.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:36:53 PM by MadBob »

Offline Daniel

« Reply #459 on: May 30, 2011, 07:48:14 AM »
Have had quite a variety over the weekend, Two Hearted, Ten-Fidy, Duchesse de Bourgogne, LIl Sumpin' Sumpin' and the last of my stash of the Undercover Shutdown (guess i will have to wait until next year unless anyone knows of any still on the shelves here in the ATL).

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #460 on: May 30, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »

These are from last week, I'm into that 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Beer Camp. They sell you a 12 pack of 3 or 4 of the beers that Sierra Nevada scaled up after having their beer camp and had chosen the best from the "camp".  I like two of them pretty well but don't much care for (the one I'm drinking now), the Juniper Black Ale. The deep head when poured on the JBA is interesting and adds to the flavor of the beer but the spices and the Juniper in the taste throw this IPA drinker for a loop.  The other two are "California Common" I like it pretty well, and the other is Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Weizenbock, it is not a style like usually but with these hot days it is a damn good beverage, I'll have one here sometime before dinner and write down what I actually taste.

Catching up...  we really have been busy, and I'm going to have to develop some tasting notes practice so's I can better describe the wide variety of beerz I have been trying.  Here are three that are noteworthy or I wouldn't have shot the pics of them....

Very drinkable as I recall, and a good addition to our beer fridge, I usually don't like Bourbon based/aged beers but this one is pretty tasty.

RB says - Nothing, it has not been reviewed yet

Amber Lagers are not usually my fave, but this one stands out as a respectable summer cooler.
RB says-  44 but only 27 people have reviewed it.

A very good Pale Ale, with all of the things about hoppy beers that I love. Bare citrus flavor, good session beer IMO.
RB says - 87

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #461 on: May 30, 2011, 01:41:11 PM »
I raided my stash yesterday for a little cookout. Hair of the Dog Matt, Hair of the Dog Adam, Hair of the Dog Cherry Adam from the Wood, Hair of the Dog Fred, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout '08 and '09, Cigar City Dirac, Hanssens 2000 Oudbeitje Strawberry lambic, Hanssens Experimental Raspberry Lambic, Fantome, Mikkeller Bourbon Barrel Aged Black Hole, Cascade Apricot, and Avery Mephistopheles.  Album here.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #462 on: May 30, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
I raided my stash yesterday for a little cookout. Hair of the Dog Matt, Hair of the Dog Adam, Hair of the Dog Cherry Adam from the Wood, Hair of the Dog Fred, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout '08 and '09, Cigar City Dirac, Hanssens 2000 Oudbeitje Strawberry lambic, Hanssens Experimental Raspberry Lambic, Fantome, Mikkeller Bourbon Barrel Aged Black Hole, Cascade Apricot, and Avery Mephistopheles.  Album here

Good list, way more off the beaten path than mine and I'm sure good too.. Nice pics too..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #463 on: June 01, 2011, 06:37:23 AM »
Have had quite a variety over the weekend, Two Hearted, Ten-Fidy, Duchesse de Bourgogne, LIl Sumpin' Sumpin' and the last of my stash of the Undercover Shutdown (guess i will have to wait until next year unless anyone knows of any still on the shelves here in the ATL).

Might call the Smoke Rise Bottle Shop by Stone Mtn @770 469 1483 or the 5 Points Bottle Shop out in Athens (prolly your best bet)

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #464 on: June 01, 2011, 04:47:38 PM »
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 05:19:11 PM by Lorenzo »