Author Topic: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?  (Read 115501 times)

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
Re: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?
« Reply #300 on: January 28, 2011, 10:53:20 PM »
After all this talk about Orval I had to pull out a year old bottle from the cooler tonight followed by a Jolly Pumpkin Luciernaga.  In a lot of ways the JP is very similar, but has much more pronounced Brett and bitterness. 

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #301 on: January 29, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »
Last night I finally tried a couple of Port Bewery and Lost Abbey beers, including the Wipeout IPA at Taco Mac and the Red Barn Saison at Brick Store.  Also had an Oerbier.  Port and Lost Abbey seem to be all over town now.  To me, it's distributing magic that small CA breweries can reach all the way out here.  Did I read correctly that GA is something like only the 8th state they're distributing in?

I don't get out to Brick Store nearly enough.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: January 29, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »
I love Oerbier and  it's on tap at The Porter now too.  I hope that's a sign that it will be here more regularly.  What did you think of Red Barn?

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #303 on: January 29, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »
I love Oerbier and it's on tap at The Porter now too.  I hope that's a sign that it will be here more regularly.  What did you think of Red Barn?

I'm not a big fan of saisons, but I found Red Barn very drinkable.  It may be a good intro to saisons for a person who's never tried one.  It tasted unmistakably like a saison, yet not up there in what I might call the "acquired taste" class like, say, Fantome.

Oerbier packs a wallop at, what, 9.5%?, so it's not something I'm likely to drink much of, but it's excellent.  I'm probably partial to beers I remember drinking for the first time in Belgium, though--brings back good memories.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #304 on: January 29, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »
Found it at Decatur Wine and Spirits on Claremont near North Decatur.

They also had the Sam Adams Longshot winners, which contained a mix of home brews that won the annual contest they put on.  I was tempted to pick this up.  Has anyone tried?

I am confused about where this "other" Decatur Wine and Spirits" is ? 

I do know where the store that I know about is, but is there another Decatur Wine & Spirits on Clairmont ?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: January 30, 2011, 02:17:18 PM »
The talking up of Orval sent me in search of it at Total Wine in Kennesaw. They have reorganized their shelves completely since Christmas, both beer and wine, and I for one am happy with the results, definitely easier to find what you're looking for than under the old system.

I found a bottle of Orval and had it last night. It kicks up quite a head, which reminded me of Two Hearted, and it has more hop flavor than the Duchesse de Bourgogne from last week. I wouldn't call it sour, although it was pleasantly funky. Still at over $5 per bottle this is a special occasion beer.

Fortunately they had Two Hearted back in stock. I also had to pick up one I had never seen, a six of Monty Python's Holy Ail from Black Sheep Brewery in Rochester NY, "tempered over burning witches." Wonder what they had to do to get that license? I haven't tried it yet, but anyone else seen this and have an opinion?
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #306 on: January 30, 2011, 04:05:42 PM »
Found it at Decatur Wine and Spirits on Claremont near North Decatur.

They also had the Sam Adams Longshot winners, which contained a mix of home brews that won the annual contest they put on.  I was tempted to pick this up.  Has anyone tried?

I am confused about where this "other" Decatur Wine and Spirits" is ? 

I do know where the store that I know about is, but is there another Decatur Wine & Spirits on Clairmont ?

My bad, it's Decatur Package Store.
http://decaturpackagestore.com/
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #307 on: January 30, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »

The three new beerz I have tried are the Bell's Special Double Cream Al, Weyerbacher's Simcoe IPA and Smuttynose IPA.

I like the Simcoe IPA least of these three, and the Bells the best.  Since I have not finished drinking the Smuttynose IPA I'll hold off judging it.  The Simcoe hops reached out and overwhelmed that good IPA,  I don't think I've found a Bell's product that I didn't like?

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #308 on: January 30, 2011, 06:56:11 PM »

Damn, Moylans Kilt Lifter is still a hearty beverage to follow some unusual tasting brews. 

I could get to like MKL if it was in small bottles..

I don't like saving 1/2 of the bottle in the fridge for later.  When I want to pour it and drink it I want the whole bottle used.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #309 on: January 30, 2011, 07:07:37 PM »
A Gulden Drak. Was going to crack a Delerium Tremens as well, but I'm trying to stay awake for at least 3/4 of the Pro Bowl.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #310 on: January 30, 2011, 07:18:05 PM »
A Gulden Drak. Was going to crack a Delerium Tremens as well, but I'm trying to stay awake for at least 3/4 of the Pro Bowl.

I sortof surprised a North Indian group of folks this January with a bottle of Delerium Tremens.  It went with the food amazingly well, and was a beer that I wish I had bought a few bottles as it went away fast.  The next time (if we get asked back) I'll take a few bottles of that clear beverage to go with the Indian spices and tastes.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #311 on: January 30, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »

I sortof surprised a North Indian group of folks this January with a bottle of Delerium Tremens.  It went with the food amazingly well, and was a beer that I wish I had bought a few bottles as it went away fast.  The next time (if we get asked back) I'll take a few bottles of that clear beverage to go with the Indian spices and tastes.

It's a beer that is about the same on tap or from the bottle. Tasty, and ya gotta love the elephants... ;D

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2011, 07:40:47 PM »

Black Cannon. from your know who..  

no head, good taste, I'm waiting for it to warm up so I can get a REAL taste of it.  

Damn..  If you like Loose Cannon, you probably will like this beverage from Clipper City Brewing.

<<<  added later >>>

I like it, not as much as the regular Loose Cannon, but it is not bitter, it is VERY dark and it has some other floral taste to it that I can't put a finger on?  I'll buy one or two again some day ...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:18:39 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Daniel

« Reply #313 on: February 01, 2011, 08:08:01 PM »
really, really liking this Port Hop 15, much more than than the Wipeout.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #314 on: February 05, 2011, 08:14:20 PM »
Two Hearted Ale, Big Daddy Vlady, just finished a Hop Ottin IPA from Boonville Brewing from Andersonville in California... Next up? Go for the gusto me thinks.... Hopslam.
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.