Author Topic: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?  (Read 117396 times)

Offline Barnum

Re: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2010, 05:17:05 PM »
Stopped into my favorite local liquor store this afternoon (Smyrna World of Beverages).  As always, having a nice talk with one of the guys working there, asking questions about the nice display of Founders brews and lamenting that I understand they have some really hoppy options... but I was really more of a stout person...

He lowered his voice, looked around briefly, and said he could set me up with a 4-pack (and only a single 4-pack) of the Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from the back  (11.2% ABV, "an imperial stout brewed with a massive amount of coffee and chocolates then cave-aged in oak Bourbon barrels for an entire year" according to the label).  Before going back to the vault and getting someone to turn the other key (I assume), he wanted to confirm I was okay with the $20-ish tab for the 4.  Sure, why not, that's what I'd pay for it at a drinking establishment.  When he came back he explained that they got 10 cases and only 10 cases and they had regulars who were expecting this brew, hence it isn't out for the general riffraff (my interpretation of the conversation).

Anybody ever try the stuff?

Not sure if this is as rare as he said, but my google'ing seems to indicate it has been in other years (in 2009, 1400 cases only)... but if anyone is interested it might be a good idea to call ahead:
Smyrna World of Beverages.  (770) 431-9599 

I am sure the Breakfast Stout that I still have a few bottles of is NOT the Kentucky, Bourbon barrel type, but it sure is good.  I am squirreling it away for a taste or two later in the year.   Lucky you.. btw..

The regular Breakfast Stout is PDG..  (pretty damn good).  Founders has some real hits on their list of offerings right now, many of their beers rated in the high 90% at Ratebeer and other beer boards.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Interesting... kinda like pouring a 12 oz bourbon....

Seriously, I taste and smell the coffee and the vanilla, the chocolate not so much, but 90% of the flavor influence to me seems to be BOURBON!

But I get ahead of myself.  This pours out like syrup with little to no head.  It has the look and feel of premium balsamic vinegar... and some of that same cloying sweetness.  There is no doubt about the bourbon influence.  It smells like bourbon, it taste like bourbon... you better like bourbon.

After a single 12 oz bottle of this bourbon, I am undecided (and a little bit buzzed...).  I love a good stout, but this has some of the same sweetness that typically has me avoiding bourbon... I am undecided, thankfully have 3 left.  This is certainly a beer to have with food!

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2010, 05:41:10 PM »
Stopped into my favorite local liquor store this afternoon (Smyrna World of Beverages).  As always, having a nice talk with one of the guys working there, asking questions about the nice display of Founders brews and lamenting that I understand they have some really hoppy options... but I was really more of a stout person...

He lowered his voice, looked around briefly, and said he could set me up with a 4-pack (and only a single 4-pack) of the Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from the back  (11.2% ABV, "an imperial stout brewed with a massive amount of coffee and chocolates then cave-aged in oak Bourbon barrels for an entire year" according to the label).  Before going back to the vault and getting someone to turn the other key (I assume), he wanted to confirm I was okay with the $20-ish tab for the 4.  Sure, why not, that's what I'd pay for it at a drinking establishment.  When he came back he explained that they got 10 cases and only 10 cases and they had regulars who were expecting this brew, hence it isn't out for the general riffraff (my interpretation of the conversation).

Anybody ever try the stuff?

Not sure if this is as rare as he said, but my google'ing seems to indicate it has been in other years (in 2009, 1400 cases only)... but if anyone is interested it might be a good idea to call ahead:
Smyrna World of Beverages.  (770) 431-9599 

I am sure the Breakfast Stout that I still have a few bottles of is NOT the Kentucky, Bourbon barrel type, but it sure is good.  I am squirreling it away for a taste or two later in the year.   Lucky you.. btw..

The regular Breakfast Stout is PDG..  (pretty damn good).  Founders has some real hits on their list of offerings right now, many of their beers rated in the high 90% at Ratebeer and other beer boards.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Interesting... kinda like pouring a 12 oz bourbon....

Seriously, I taste and smell the coffee and the vanilla, the chocolate not so much, but 90% of the flavor influence to me seems to be BOURBON!

But I get ahead of myself.  This pours out like syrup with little to no head.  It has the look and feel of premium balsamic vinegar... and some of that same cloying sweetness.  There is no doubt about the bourbon influence.  It smells like bourbon, it taste like bourbon... you better like bourbon.

After a single 12 oz bottle of this bourbon, I am undecided (and a little bit buzzed...).  I love a good stout, but this has some of the same sweetness that typically has me avoiding bourbon... I am undecided, thankfully have 3 left.  This is certainly a beer to have with food!

Cumon, give it another try tonight..  Drink two more and then report back here..    8)

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2010, 05:42:23 PM »
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid...    a close cousin to Loose Cannon in my opinion...

<  I think it is only available in the , 22 oz.  ?  growler

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:02:36 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2010, 09:47:34 PM »
I had some of the legendary Founders KBS on tap at the Porter tonight after getting to BSP a little too late yesterday and just missing it there.  Beautiful.  My girlfriend, who is almost as much of a beer fiend as me, could hardly drink a sip she thought it was so strong, but I just thought it was smooth and delicious (I do love bourbon and boozy beers).  Supposedly they use a lot of coffee, but fortunately it was subtle.  I don't want to feel like I'm drinking a frappucino in a bar.  Actually, the coffee and the chocolate were subtle enough that I would have thought it was possible that the flavor was just from roasted malt.  Nice barrel vanilla.  Apparently not for everyone, but that's a damn good beer.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2010, 05:33:42 AM »
I had some of the legendary Founders KBS on tap at the Porter tonight after getting to BSP a little too late yesterday and just missing it there.  Beautiful.  My girlfriend, who is almost as much of a beer fiend as me, could hardly drink a sip she thought it was so strong, but I just thought it was smooth and delicious (I do love bourbon and boozy beers).  Supposedly they use a lot of coffee, but fortunately it was subtle.  I don't want to feel like I'm drinking a frappucino in a bar.  Actually, the coffee and the chocolate were subtle enough that I would have thought it was possible that the flavor was just from roasted malt.  Nice barrel vanilla.  Apparently not for everyone, but that's a damn good beer.

Interesting... wonder how much different it tastes on tap as compared to the bottle I mention below.  I doubt I'm as good at peeling apart the different flavors given some of your posts, but the bottle certainly yielded coffee and vanilla, not a lot of chocolate... and a Bunch of bourbon!  I know, I'm pretty much repeating my comments below, but coming out of the bottle it was indeed a bourbon frappucino...

I would like to take credit from this day forward to the term "bourbocino" to describe this brew*...

*with appropriate inspirational credit to jpellett251
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:39:54 AM by Barnum »

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2010, 12:00:59 PM »
Bourbocino, I like it.  It sounds like one of the big differences between the bottle you had and what I had on tap was the mouthfeel.  Carbonation was perfect on mine, which can really change your perception of flavors.  Little bubbles can round out and temper strong flavors and make a beer seem more balanced.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »
Bourbocino, I like it.  It sounds like one of the big differences between the bottle you had and what I had on tap was the mouthfeel.  Carbonation was perfect on mine, which can really change your perception of flavors.  Little bubbles can round out and temper strong flavors and make a beer seem more balanced.

I will agree.  There was little to no carbonation and that certainly added to the syrupy mouth feel and I suspect would have counteracted some of the cloying sweetness..

Loundry

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2010, 10:41:18 PM »
Westmalle Trappist Dubbel.

"Is that like a wine made from barley?" asked Steve.

I would have to agree that it is very much like wine.  A dull, dirty flavor with an astringent metallic backwash and subtle notes of shoe leather.  Disgusting.  F.

I suspect that there are people out there abusing the word "Trappist".

EDIT: I decided to see what subtle nuances of flavor the certified wierdos at beeradvocate.com were imagining in drinking this beer.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/208/674

Can you believe this crap?  I repeat: it must be very much like wine, because people are talking about it with that ridiculous, moronic wine jargon.

- "Caramel malt and fig dominate."  (How can a subtle nuance dominate anything?)

- "Extremely drinkable. Full of flavor, but does not weigh you down."  (What is this?  Bud Light?  "Drinkability!")

- "Smells of stewed malts, candi sugar, Belgian yeast, and rich melanoidins."  (I so prefer candi sugar to invert sugar.)

- "This metallic flavor dominated the palate through the finish- akin to sucking on a penny- eclipsing any other nuances that were there."  (Alert!  Someone is actually reporting what he tasted instead of what he wanted to taste!  Keep in mind that this weirdo still rated the beer a B.  When you suck on pennies, does the letter "B" come to mind?)

- "I was getting cherries, apples, and a bit of banana for the most part. Then you get some mild cinnamon spice and a bit of floral hops. Perhaps one could taste a little chocolate as well. "  (Perhaps one could admit that "getting" flavors is the same thing as IMAGINING flavors.)

- "Westmalle Dubbel is reminiscent of under-ripe bananas dipped in caramel and toffee and then lightly dusted with cocoa powder, cinnamon, and clove"  (Mind you, it doesn't taste like any of those things.  It's only "reminiscent" of them.)

- "Poured into my Chimay chalice"  (No mere glass for this flavor inventor!)

- "Tastes of yeast, slight hop, slight sweet malt, slight grain, and slight citrus"  (Imaginary, imaginary, imaginary, and imaginary.)

- "Pours brown with a decent amount of head that is retained rather nicely. This leads to some amazing lacing."  (NOTHING leads to "amazing lacing".)

- "this is simply a paragon of its style. Those monks know a thing or two about brewing."  (That slurping sound you hear is NOT the act of beer tasting.)

- "Very subtle throughout."  (Would you like some mild, flaky white fish to go with that?)

What kills me is the millions, perhaps billions, or even trillions of different flavors that were "gotten" or "picked up" when people drank this beer.  These claims to flavors include: caramel, malt, fig, sugar, barley, alcohol, dark cherries, dark fruits, bitter, tart, stewed malts, candi sugar, Belgian yeast, Midichlorians, metallic, sucking on a penny, nuances, bread, fruit, cherries, apples, banana cinnamon, floral hops, chocolate, dried fruits, under-ripe bananas, toffee, earthy, pear, raisin, berries, dates, plums, acidic lemon, dark sweet fruits, zesty fruits, apples, brown sugar, apple cider, molasses, leather, tart apples, coffee, citrus (plum), cocoa, vanilla, grapes, rock candy, no hops, spiciness, candied fruits, buttery toffee, whole wheat bread, cracker, sweet apple, earthy flavors, candied malt, banana bread, dark bread, ripe, and jammy.

Indeed, nothing tastes better than the flavor you really, really WANT to taste.  The sheer awesomeness of that kind of flavor might inspire you write up a florid spate of bullshit to impress your wierdo friends.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:27:34 PM by Loundry »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2010, 10:52:47 PM »

I would have to agree that it is very much like wine.  A dull, dirty flavor with an astringent metallic backwash and subtle notes of shoe leather.  Disgusting.  F.

This one?

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/westmalle-dubbel/2205/

Offline totm

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »

I would have to agree that it is very much like wine.  A dull, dirty flavor with an astringent metallic backwash and subtle notes of shoe leather.  Disgusting.  F.

<snip>
Can you believe this crap?  I repeat: it must be very much like wine, because people are talking about it with that ridiculous, moronic wine jargon.
<snip>
- "Smells of stewed malts, candi sugar, Belgian yeast, and rich melanoidins."  (I so prefer candi sugar to invert sugar.)
You do realize that candi sugar is a classic ingredient in Belgian (and Trappist Dubbles and Tripels) to bump the ABV up?  Invert sugar is more commonly used in British ales.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2010, 12:33:14 PM »

<snip>
<snip>

You do realize that candi sugar is a classic ingredient in Belgian (and Trappist Dubbles and Tripels) to bump the ABV up?  Invert sugar is more commonly used in British ales.

I have to think that what our resident iconoclast was drinking was a poorly stored/handled bottle of beer? 

There is nothing but personal tastes in this dogfight, but there are a respectable group of people that think that beer is VERY good, and most of those people are not ratcheting up their persona by evaluating their likes or dislikes.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2010, 01:24:07 PM »
I had a Westmalle dubbel a few days ago.  Not my favorite dubbel, but a nice beer with no metallic flavor.  As Mike said, Loundry probably had a poorly handled bottle, especially if it tasted astringent.  As far as abusing the word trappist, there are only 7 trappist breweries and Westmalle is not only the oldest, but it created the dubbel and has been brewing it since before any of the other trappist brewers existed.

You say that people imagine flavors, but that makes it sound so not real, whereas in actuality beers and wines have many specific compounds that correspond to real flavors.  Specific esters produced by the yeast that have specific tastes.  I don't like beers with Isoamyl acetate because they taste like bananas (or I guess more specifically I should say that wheat beers and bananas taste the same because they both have Isoamyl acetate).  But that's one of many esters that you find in beer, especially a Belgian beer.

And of course the treatment of the malt contributes a variety of flavors (coffee, chocolate in a dark roast) and hops have a wide variety of flavors/smells (grapefruit, pine, grass).

I can't pick out flavors in wine very well, but I've carefully studied enough beer that I recognize these flavors.  You can of course enjoy a beer without it, but for me a lot of the fun is in tasting and appreciating what flavors are going on.  It's no coincidence that reviews that I read after I drink a beer come pretty close to the flavors I tasted.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:46:35 PM by jpellett251 »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »

Tasting a Moylans Kilt Lifter again..  Except for being sweet this is one tasty beer.

I am going to drink part of it tonight..   

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2010, 10:41:33 PM »
Drinking a Cantillon Kriek right now.  Super tart and delicious, though I prefer the Cantillon gueze.  The tart cherry definitely dominates and I think covers some of the complexity of the gueze.

Even more excitingly, I was at Thinking Man and they had Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout!  This went fast at the Porter and bsp (they didn't even put it on the menu at bsp).  It will probably last lightly lnger at TM, though I would be surprised if it's still there by Sunday.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »
Quick update to my above post (when a gig is unexpectedly cancelled I end up drinking a bit if we have anything good in the house).  When I bought the Cantillon Kriek I also bought a Lindemans Kriek to compare.  I've often talked unfavorably about Lindemans fruit lambics (the gueze is awesome) but it's been years since I actually drank one.  Unfortunately my memory was correct.  This tastes like carbonated cherry kool-aid, though the cherries do taste more real.  Cloyingly sweet and hard to drink.  Not recommended at all, though like I said, don't let their pasteurized, sweet fruit lambics keep you from trying their gueze, which I think I actually like more than Cantillon's standard gueze.