Author Topic: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?  (Read 117638 times)

Offline baconwrappedrob

• Bacon Wrapped Rob
Re: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?
« Reply #345 on: February 26, 2011, 02:31:33 PM »
On this beautiful day, I'm drinking some Ranger IPA from New Belgian Brewery.  I'm liking this pale ale.  I think Dogfish Head is my favorite, what IPA would you recommend?

Offline MadBob

« Reply #346 on: February 27, 2011, 03:40:52 PM »
Glass o' Irish Mist, watching Carrie. Evil, I tells ya.

Jeepers, I havn't had any Irish Mist since I was in Japan! I trust you keep it in the fridge between samples! Much smoother outta the cooler, no ice to melt or water it down either!!
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #347 on: February 27, 2011, 05:41:14 PM »
Glass o' Irish Mist, watching Carrie. Evil, I tells ya.

Jeepers, I havn't had any Irish Mist since I was in Japan! I trust you keep it in the fridge between samples! Much smoother outta the cooler, no ice to melt or water it down either!!
I've learned to drink it and Amaretto at room temp. Now Tuaca is a different beast...

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: February 28, 2011, 12:26:55 PM »

Yesterday:

The Green Goddess was with me..    CP and I stopped into a real sortof dive bar on Bourbon St.  Partially because it is non-smoking, and partially because it is so, so funky. <inserted- They had a great jukebox full of 70's and 80's music and terrific sound system >.

We had a starter drink and then decided to try the Absinthe Frappe. I had not tasted any Absinthe since it was an under-the-bar drink at my family's nigh-club in Ohio.  The first taste of that slightly medicinal, slightly licorice tasting beverage took me right back to those early days of drink experimentation.  Now would I drink the stuff on a regular basis, not hardly, but it was good, it was cooling and did it's job quickly.   ;)   I was glad I was not personally piloting the plane back to ATL.  LOL

Joking with CP after one of the drinks I said, "now it's time for me to go get my ears pierced", she said "yes and one more and you will want to get your face tatooed".  I did neither and had a nice nap on the plane ride back from the Big Easy.   8)

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #349 on: March 01, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »
Tokyo Black - a Japanese porter I bought at BuHyFmMkt. It's not that good - watery, bitter, with a thin coffee (Folger's?) taste that drifts in and out. Definately a meh. Anybody want the other one?

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #350 on: March 05, 2011, 11:46:26 AM »
Opened a bottle of the Samuel Smith Yorkshire Stingo that I picked up at Tower a while back.  It is an oak cask aged beer and I have enjoyed trying a number of different kinds of oak-aged beers.  This one was really tasty, malty but not overly so, very smooth, toffee flavors.  Picked up a few more bottles today to have on hand.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: March 05, 2011, 08:17:41 PM »
Opened a bottle of the Samuel Smith Yorkshire Stingo that I picked up at Tower a while back.  It is an oak cask aged beer and I have enjoyed trying a number of different kinds of oak-aged beers.  This one was really tasty, malty but not overly so, very smooth, toffee flavors.  Picked up a few more bottles today to have on hand.

I just got back from "Brew your Cask off" at Sweetwater.  What didn't I drink tonight is more like it.

Fortunately or unfortunately the crowd was so dense that there was no way of even getting to the beers to sip and appreciate them.  Though I thank my benefactor for the fine Christmas gift the organized chaos that is the event flies in the face of beer tasting and appreciation.  

I should be writing this in the Sweetwater thread but I may delete this post in the bright light of tomorrow.  I shouldn't be negative, they had a whopping, WHOPPING crowd but it was teats to backs to butts along the entire tent corridor that was set up to sample the beers. Also dense crowds in the food area, inside, in the parking lot and talk about PARKING.  If you were not there at 5pm, you were parking along the road.  As I left cars were parked all the way around to the taco factory and past.  Sheeeesh...  And it was raining.

It is time they move the event to a venue where a crowd would have a chance to taste and judge IMHO.  I did see Richard Miley from Chops and Hops in Watkinsville for a minute, I did talk to Chef Archna from Bhojanic for a brief moment, I did get to see Flying Brian and Dan his buddy for 15 or 20 minutes, but though we were 25 feet from the front of the line, after tasting only several beers a few of the casks had run out after waiting nose to tail in line to taste a chosen beer on the list.

Read this quickly I may delete it by Monday.  

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:20:16 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: March 05, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »
Sounds like quite a scene.

Not actually drinking anything tonight, but I'm in California right now, and will be returning with two of these in my suitcase:

There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline Daniel

« Reply #353 on: March 06, 2011, 08:32:18 AM »
Had a Weyerbacher Heresy and a Red Brick 16th Anniversary yesterday.  I enjoyed the Heresy, but thought it drank a bit thin compared to other RIS's.  Either way, this is a very complex beer, lots of chocolate, vanilla and oak going on.  The Red Brick was an impulse buy on Friday; i haven't been the biggest fan of Red Brick, but also really enjoyed this one.  The bourbon aging is upfront, and its pretty boozy.  So, probably a good pick for bourbon fans...

Offline Daniel

« Reply #354 on: March 06, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »
Another note, I was told that this years Founders KBS will be in stores Tuesday.  I also heard that Cigar City will be in Atlanta stores later this month.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #355 on: March 06, 2011, 10:46:58 AM »
My bid is in for the KBS. Sounds like it will be a very in limited supply judging by the amount my source is scheduled to recieve. Too bad, would have liked to KoPP (sic) a case for myself, but will be lucky to get 1/4th of the booty recieved!

Started the day yesterday with a Old Stock Ale 2009, grabbed a Black Cannon Black IPA then on to the Dirty Bastard. Finished with a Two Hearted Ale and topped it off with an Absolut Peach/White Cranpeach apertif!
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

Offline MadBob

« Reply #356 on: March 06, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »
Sounds like quite a scene.

Not actually drinking anything tonight, but I'm in California right now, and will be returning with two of these in my suitcase:

Thanks for thinging of me on your trip to Cali! Can't wait for my issue of Consecration! snicker...

Offline Daniel

« Reply #357 on: March 06, 2011, 01:10:46 PM »
just opened a Black Cannon.  the BIPA / Black Ale is quickly becoming one of my favorite styles.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #358 on: March 06, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #359 on: March 06, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
A tripel called Koeketiene from a picobrewery in my wife's parents' town in West Flanders.  We've had the bottle for over a year, and today seemed like as good a day as any to drink it, over a game of Scrabble.