Author Topic: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?  (Read 128854 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: What 'r ya drinkin tonight?
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2010, 02:29:31 PM »
Ever tried Buffalo Rock ginger ale? Only available in north west FL and Alabama. Super spicy and delicious. If so, how does it compare to Blenheim?

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2010, 07:19:04 PM »
D&G is alright, but a little too sweet. I does love me some Old #3 when I want to burn off some nose hairs...

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2010, 08:58:22 AM »
Ever tried Buffalo Rock ginger ale? Only available in north west FL and Alabama. Super spicy and delicious. If so, how does it compare to Blenheim?

I haven't tried it, no, but it sounds familiar.  Maybe they have it at Harry's or something.  Blenheim has a different flavor compared to most other ginger ales I've found.  It is certainly sweet but I guess it has less overall sweet spice flavor.  Some of the Jamaican ginger ales have a candy kind of sweetness and they might have other spices in there like clove (?) that make it unfavorable to me.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2010, 09:08:18 AM »
If you see it locally, please let us know. I looked online and it appears that it is not available in this area.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2010, 04:48:12 PM »
Stopped in to Smyrna World of Beverages today to a distinct shortage of stouts... truly in the off season.  But I did pick up a Stone Imperial Russian Stout.  I really like these, great big flavor in this pitch black brew!

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »

Lagunitas Maximus could steal me away from Loose Cannon.   If it tried..

http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/maximus.html

70 IBU's
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2010, 06:49:36 PM »
I'm doing the tried and true of Gerogia brews for me: Terrapin Rye.  I don't think there's a finer local beer.  My favorite!  

Tonight I'm grilling a Nature's Harmony pork tenderloin that actually has quite a bit of fat on it and running through it.  Paired with parboiled and grilled baby red potatoes, grilled baby red onions, grilled yellow squash and some (of course) grilled bread.  Everything on our plate is local and that makes me happy.  :)

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »

I slipped into Summits in Snellville/Stone Mountain today for one of these...   what a good Summer drink..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==++++++++++++++++

ALL THREE SUMMITS LOCATIONS WILL TAP A RARE, LIMITED RELEASE KEG OF NEW BELGIUM BELGIAN STYLE BLOND ALE

From the "Lips of Faith" series - ON TUESDAY, JUNE 15th,  11:00 AM

This strong golden ale is light in color, with moderate body and a crisp finish. Saaz and Styrian Golding hops offer a distinctive Nobel hop aroma. A Belgian yeast strain produces banana and clove notes for a remarkably crisp flavor profile. Belgian Blond is delightfully inviting and approachable with a decidedly adult 8.5% alcohol content.

ABV 8.5%    IBU 30

Hops/spicing:  Saaz and Styrian Golding hops

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »
Pulled a couple of oldies from the wine cooler to have with veal chops tonite:

1998 Louis Bernard Gigondas
1999 Domaine la Garrigue Vacqueras

The Bernard is way pleasant, but surprisingly light, the Vacqueras has some real olivey gravitas. . . developing. . .

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2010, 11:23:21 PM »

I slipped into Summits in Snellville/Stone Mountain today for one of these...   what a good Summer drink..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==++++++++++++++++

ALL THREE SUMMITS LOCATIONS WILL TAP A RARE, LIMITED RELEASE KEG OF NEW BELGIUM BELGIAN STYLE BLOND ALE

From the "Lips of Faith" series - ON TUESDAY, JUNE 15th,  11:00 AM

This strong golden ale is light in color, with moderate body and a crisp finish. Saaz and Styrian Golding hops offer a distinctive Nobel hop aroma. A Belgian yeast strain produces banana and clove notes for a remarkably crisp flavor profile. Belgian Blond is delightfully inviting and approachable with a decidedly adult 8.5% alcohol content.

ABV 8.5%    IBU 30

Hops/spicing:  Saaz and Styrian Golding hops

I had one of these at The Porter last night.  It wasn't bad but I'm not a fan of New Belgium's yeasts.  They tend towards banana and bubble gum and this beer was a little sweet without being balanced by any spiciness from the yeast.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2010, 04:45:16 PM »

Damn, when your mouth wants a good hoppy beer like Loose Cannon, a relatively good Terrapin 420 will just NOT do...

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2010, 06:12:38 PM »
Broke out the Firefly vodka and mixed it with some good lemonade.  Dangerous, dangerous mix.  I could drink this stuff all night.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »
Broke out the Firefly vodka and mixed it with some good lemonade.  Dangerous, dangerous mix.  I could drink this stuff all night.

It is dangerous stuff all right..   I can tell you about the............    wait, I really can't tell you about the night that ........................................................................

It is good with diet coke...

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2010, 11:58:17 PM »
I try to avoid reposting from my blog to here, but I wanted to share something cool and local and was too lazy to write something different here.

De Proef Brewmaster's Collaborations series, pairing an American brewer with Dirk Naudts of De Proef Brouwerij in Belgium, has produced very good beers in collaboration with brewers from Allagash (one of my favorite beers), Port, and Bell's.  2010's collaboration is Monstre Rouge, in collaboration with Terrapin Brewery in Athens, GA.  It's not going to be officially released until August, but there was a release party at The Brick Store tonight (6/28) and at Trappeze Pub in Athens tomorrow.  It's called an imperial Flanders red, but I think that's a stretch and it's best to judge it completely as its own beer.  The Monstre Rouge is loosely based on Terrapin's Big Hoppy Monster, with the addition of some rye to the malt and fermented with a standard Belgian yeast strain and De Proef's awesome strain of Brettanomyces.  It's then aged in American oak.

I went into this expecting an funky beer, and if you're read much of this blog you know that's what I want.  This beer was disappointing in that respect and I probably wouldn't have even noticed the Brett if I hadn't known it was there, but once I quickly got over that this was an amazing beer.  Between the rye and the perfect carbonation this had one of the best mouthfeels of any beer I've had.  The aging took the edge off of the hops, but it started with enough that there was still a nicely rounded bitterness.  There was a subtle sweetness and good yeast complexity, though like I said it was still lacking much of any Brett influence.  It might be a little funkier when it's officially released in August.  Kudos to Terrapin, and it's nice to see what happens when you take a distinctly American ale recipe and throw in some good Belgian yeast.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »

okay, go ahead and make fun of me...

I just popped a Hood River Full Sail Brewery "Sessions" Lager..  and honestly it is not too bad..  It certainly isn't any Hop Stoopid, but it is cold, refreshing and wet...

I have not looked on ratebeer for what the pro's say ?

<<< Added later>>>  This is Full Sail Brewery's Sessions Lager.. it rates a 39..    I'd give it a 50...

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:41:21 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »