Author Topic: Tipping  (Read 2224 times)

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
Tipping
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »
We had dinner out Saturday and although the service sucked I still gave a $20.00 tip on an $87.00 bill. I checked the charge and the tip was missing. I just don't understand what happened. Can't believe they deleted it from the bill but I know I added it and totaled the amount and signed off on $107.00.
 :-\

Offline uOTPia Dweller

Re: Tipping
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:26:47 AM »
They validate your cc before tip.

Generally a temporary charge or hold (my bidness card is a Paypal charge) of the pre-tip amount shows up. A few business days later, the full amount does.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:56:51 AM »
Thanks, that clears it up. I will look for the full charge in a few days.

Offline totm

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:15:46 AM »
Has anyone else ever had a server encourage you to tip in cash?  We were at an Atlanta institution last night.  I presented my credit card for payment of the bill and the server several times encouraged me to tip in cash.  I fully understand why he wanted cash but found it a bit off putting that he went down that road.  If I really want to thank a server/bartender/sommelier/sushi chef/etc I might pass them a little cash.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 09:36:57 AM »
Has anyone else ever had a server encourage you to tip in cash?  We were at an Atlanta institution last night.  I presented my credit card for payment of the bill and the server several times encouraged me to tip in cash.  I fully understand why he wanted cash but found it a bit off putting that he went down that road.  If I really want to thank a server/bartender/sommelier/sushi chef/etc I might pass them a little cash.
I would feel the same way.  I'm generally a descent tipper.  A request such as this, once might be overlooked but repeatedly, would more than likely prompt me to leave a lesser tip.

-B

Offline totm

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 09:38:57 AM »
I would feel the same way.  I'm generally a descent tipper.  A request such as this, once might be overlooked but repeatedly, would more than likely prompt me to leave a lesser tip.

-B
I still left ~20%, but on the company credit card.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon