Author Topic: Cooking without a kitchen?  (Read 3219 times)

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
Cooking without a kitchen?
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:49:50 PM »
So... we are about to embark on a 2 month remodel of our main floor, including completely gutting and redoing the kitchen.  We have a spare fridge, a microwave, a toaster and a slow cooker in the basement, which is going to be culinary home base for the foreseeable future.  Anyone have any can't miss recipes for any of the above items?

It should be an adventure, but I'm really looking forward to the new kitchen we will have in May...

(We also have the grill outside, but I'm looking for inside ideas too)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:54:42 PM by GabrielsDad »
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: Cooking without a kitchen?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:53:46 PM »
So... we are about to embark on a 2 month remodel of our main floor, including completely gutting and redoing the kitchen.  We have a spare fridge, a microwave, a toaster and a slow cooker in the basement, which is going to be culinary home base for the foreseeable future.  Anyone have any can't miss recipes for any of the above items?

It should be an adventure, but I'm really looking forward to the new kitchen we will have in May...

I have a recipe for weenies you can do on a rake..   would that help ?    8)   ;)

I do have 2 or 3 butane tabletop stoves I wouldn't miss for a while if you want to borrow 'em?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
Thanks, but I think we'll be able to make do.  I can always use the grill as a stove...
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:12:45 PM »
I went through the same thing when I redid my kitchen a few years back.  I also had an electric frying pan thing that was great for stovetop type cooking.  My project only took 5 weeks so I didn't have time to get too tired of cooking on a folding table.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:28:49 AM »
I did this 11 years ago for what turned out to be 3+ months  :o  Electric skillet in the laundry room near sink, toaster oven in the dining room, fridge in the den and the grill saved us.  I ended up being very surprised at how little we ended up eating out, as we had planned/budgeted for quite a bit of that.  I had frozen small portions of rice, etc. and with lots of salads and cooking on the grill the food was actually pretty good.  But, after the new kitchen was finished the level of my cooking skills went up several notches very quickly.

Offline Girly

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:45:35 AM »
I've found a rice cooker to be invaluable. Besides the obvious rice you can do oatmeal, eggs, spaghetti - actually any kind of pasta. Don't get one of the fancy ones - just an on/off switch.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »
We had the same thing at our last house. The gas grill became my best friend and I know the neighbors must have thought "Grill Boy" had moved into the neighborhood.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:19:29 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I think we'll be living on the as grill as well.   :)
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 03:21:05 PM »
I did this 11 years ago for what turned out to be 3+ months  :o  Electric skillet in the laundry room near sink, toaster oven in the dining room, fridge in the den and the grill saved us.  I ended up being very surprised at how little we ended up eating out, as we had planned/budgeted for quite a bit of that.  I had frozen small portions of rice, etc. and with lots of salads and cooking on the grill the food was actually pretty good.  But, after the new kitchen was finished the level of my cooking skills went up several notches very quickly.

Mom either used an electric grill or the bottom from a pressure cooker for most of our dinners.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 07:42:30 AM »
With a small fan, you could use an Ammo can for those pesky rainy days when you can't cook outside as I have done while traveling the world. True Story. And, I always packed an electric skillet. Cleanup a snap, wet paper towels for the majority, then into the shower with the soap! Another true story. and since you are already in the shower, might as well give it the once over and it stays sparkle clean. One two three four, I was in the Marine Corps! Adapt, overcome and dine fine!
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline That Girl

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 01:00:03 PM »
We lived through this, and I would have gone crazy without an electric skillet.

I suggest focusing on one pot meals, because otherwise I felt overwhelmed by the amount of dirty stuff around me on the card table that functioned as a kitchen.