Author Topic: NOLA  (Read 15375 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: NOLA
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 10:11:03 AM »
I second the burger at Port of Call. And the drinks too!

Offline totm

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 01:46:39 PM »
<snippage>
On Wednesday we had lunch at Acme Oyster house and it was terrific, we had a show in a couple hours so we didn't order TONS of oysters but what we ordered were clean and good.  All of what we ate there were Apalachicola oysters (sp)..
<snippage>
Were Louisiana oysters not available?  When there has been red tide in Apalachicola we've ended up with Louisiana oysters in PCB.  I prefer the Apalachicolas myself.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 03:08:19 PM »
<snippage>
On Wednesday we had lunch at Acme Oyster house and it was terrific, we had a show in a couple hours so we didn't order TONS of oysters but what we ordered were clean and good.  All of what we ate there were Apalachicola oysters (sp)..
<snippage>
Were Louisiana oysters not available?  When there has been red tide in Apalachicola we've ended up with Louisiana oysters in PCB.  I prefer the Apalachicolas myself.

I didn't ask why, but was told that all that were available in NOLA that weekend were Apalachicola oysters,  Of course some places had a variety of NW. coast oysters as well, but we weren't there on an oyster quest, we had just returned from Seattle.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline jimmy

• Email
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 08:00:56 AM »
I second the burger at Port of Call. And the drinks too!

Those drinks were potent! I measured it somewhere around an 8 count pour from TWO bottles of Rum in that one drink.

Offline loveATL

• Email
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 08:38:42 AM »
<snippage>
<snippage>

That would be the Monsoon.  Not a drink for newbies  :P

I didn't ask why, but was told that all that were available in NOLA that weekend were Apalachicola oysters,  Of course some places had a variety of NW. coast oysters as well, but we weren't there on an oyster quest, we had just returned from Seattle.

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
Heading down a week from Friday for our (roughly) annual weekend trip. They're having a city-wide food event in August that has a lot of restaurants offering prix-fixe menus, including Commander's Palace. Now we have to decide whether to do that or stick with our usual Sunday brunch there. Hmmm...

Looking forward to trying Mahony's at long last!

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »
Heading down a week from Friday for our (roughly) annual weekend trip. They're having a city-wide food event in August that has a lot of restaurants offering prix-fixe menus, including Commander's Palace. Now we have to decide whether to do that or stick with our usual Sunday brunch there. Hmmm...

Looking forward to trying Mahony's at long last!

Stanley is at the top of my list (unless we are going to Green Goddess or Luke) for brunch.

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »
Anyone ever been to Deanie's Seafood? Original location in Metarie, but they have a Quarter spot as well. Looks promising, as NOLA-style seafood shacks go. Saw them profiled on Man vs. Food and it was quite temping. Barbecue shrimp is my wife's ne plus ultra, so she's eager to try theirs (Mr. B's being the benchmark). And plenty on the menu calling my name as well.

http://www.deanies.com/

EDIT: Guess I should have done a closer reading of Mike's trip report above.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:59:56 PM by Hrothgar »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »
Anyone ever been to Deanie's Seafood? Original location in Metarie, but they have a Quarter spot as well. Looks promising, as NOLA-style seafood shacks go. Saw them profiled on Man vs. Food and it was quite temping. Barbecue shrimp is my wife's ne plus ultra, so she's eager to try theirs (Mr. B's being the benchmark). And plenty on the menu calling my name as well.

http://www.deanies.com/

EDIT: Guess I should have done a closer reading of Mike's trip report above.  ::)

I would say it is as good as an all-fried, huge-platter of fresh seafood can get.  I loved it, but could barely finish 1/4 of the seafood platter.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2011, 12:13:17 PM »
Just a quick recap of what we ate in New Orleans last weekend. It was torrential when we drove into town, with the last part of the trip being a white knuckle drive in a tropical storm, so we were pretty tired. We ate dinner at the Pelican Bar in the Sheraton hotel, which was overpriced and not bad, but not great. I had the worst $12 glass of wine I've ever tasted, then switched to drinking Abita on draft ($6). We had po' boys - cajun chicken for me and red snapper for The Scientist - and fries on the side. Hunger is the best condiment, so we wolfed it all down.

Breakfast on Saturday was at Dickie Brennan's Bourbon House. We must have arrived on the late side for breakfast, because we were told that we'd be the last seating and we just made it in under the wire. I got the Vieux Carre breakfast with poached eggs, biscuit, some deliciously thick bacon and the richest bowl of grits I've ever eaten. TS got the benedict with andouille sausage, biscuit, hollandaise (of course) and creole potatoes on the side, plus fresh orange juice. Very tasty and we enjoyed our snide bartender/waiter as he cheerfully turned away all other latecomers, informing them that he was done with his shift and they could go fend for themselves elsewhere.

Incidentally, it was Southern Decadence weekend, so we got to enjoy some very gay festivities, with much dancing and debauchery. I highly recommend it.

I drank a couple of buckets of frozen beverages from various establishments. $10 gets you a vat of alcohol slushee, plus a free shot of something sweet, and you can walk the streets getting as sloshed as you want. Later, we had a dozen oysters at the Royal House, with a bloody mary for me and a New Orleans version of Long Island Tea for TS. I really liked the pickled veggies in my drink, and both of our beverages had a nice kick. Dinner was at Green Goddess, where I got a special type of mint julep with white rum instead of bourbon. Tasty. We started with the lentil pancake which was like many Indian snacks, topped with tamarind chutney and crisp noodles. For entrees, we got the pork belly on lettuce wraps and a special of salt cod dumplings in a very light broth with potatoes and carrots. We really enjoyed everything at this place, even though the air conditioning appeared to be malfunctioning, making it unpleasantly muggy inside.

Brunch at the Court of Two Sisters on Sunday. This was a great meal. So many choices, including eggs benedict, pancakes, roast beef, pickled herring in cream, salmon mousse. . . Not cheap, but definitely worth it. The Scientist really liked his turtle soup, which was the soup of the day, but I thought it tasted like dirt, because I always think turtle tastes like dirt. I also had a milk punch, which was super yummy and a great way to start the day.

Dinner was at Mr. B's, where I got the obligatory barbecue shrimp. Again, not cheap, but it's a huge portion of head-on shrimp in a deliciously complex sauce. TS started with a trio of soups - seafood gumbo, chicken and sausage gumbo and shrimp-cauliflower bisque. He really enjoyed all three, but liked the bisque most of all. For his entree, he got the rabbit, which was insanely rich, in a velvety sauce served over a pile of creamy potatoes. This was an excellent meal.

Oh, and of course we had beignets and coffee at Cafe du Monde. It was a really fun weekend, and I think it would be great to go back sometime, particularly when a tropical storm isn't hitting the area.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »
. . .
Brunch at the Court of Two Sisters on Sunday. This was a great meal. So many choices, including eggs benedict, pancakes, roast beef, pickled herring in cream, salmon mousse. . . Not cheap, but definitely worth it. The Scientist really liked his turtle soup, which was the soup of the day, but I thought it tasted like dirt, because I always think turtle tastes like dirt. I also had a milk punch, which was super yummy and a great way to start the day.
. . .

I will disagree on this one.  I've walked by the place many times, but last time we were in NOLA we decided we'd finally try the jazz brunch.  We felt it was pricey and not the best quality.  The ambience was great, and I think any NOLA fan should do it at least once for that reason.  Just providing a contrasting opinion.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 07:51:56 AM »
Going in Dec. (Delta sale $35 - ends today 10/20) got good suggestions so far but interested in crawfish in french quarter.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »
Going in Dec. (Delta sale $35 - ends today 10/20) got good suggestions so far but interested in crawfish in french quarter.

Wow. Where did you find the Delta sale? Quick Google search yields nothing.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »
Found it after a little digging on Delta's site. Lots of good deals. Thanks for the heads-up!

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2011, 10:50:44 PM »
Three deep breaths...ok, so I just spent LITERALLY an hour and 20 minutes "on hold/disconnect/have to transfer you" with Delta, on two phones simultaneously, in order not to miss them, only to be told that that deal is "sold out". I just gave up and didn't harass the poor woman I finally talked to, but I'm calling Delta tomorrow and complaining vociferiously. Not only do I believe it may be illegal, since the website did not mention a limited number of "deals" while saying that the offer was good through today, but the phone system SUCKS.

Have fun in NOLA Tansu. I mean that in a good way.