Author Topic: Country ham  (Read 10004 times)

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
Re: Country ham
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 09:42:52 AM »
Is there anywhere local, good, authentic country ham can be purchased? We will be using it for ham and biscuits as an hors d'oeuvre.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:26:20 AM by AndyBoy »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 09:45:44 AM »
The only country hams i've seen around here are the standard Smithfield ones. I don't know if they're good or bad. I'm thinking of ordering a whole one from Broadbent..i can't believe how cheap they are.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 10:24:29 AM »
I haven't seen much variety around here but I think Smithfield will work fine.

I few years ago we made a pilgrimage to the Trigg Co Ham Festival in Western Kentucky and picked up a ham to bring back. We soaked it and soaked it and boiled it and roasted it but it was still really, really salty and tough. I would try doing it again bc I think we probably did something wrong. Most fun part of that trip was stumbling into a horsepull - really beautiful and awe-inspiring animals. Driving around the countryside seeing the smokehouses was cool too. That Land Between the Lakes area is beautiful.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »
The only country hams i've seen around here are the standard Smithfield ones. I don't know if they're good or bad. I'm thinking of ordering a whole one from Broadbent..i can't believe how cheap they are.

Jason if you need a whole ham I didn't see those but YDFM had sliced Broadbent ham from Kentucky. We got three packs today of the biscuit slices but they had other styles as well.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
Really? YDFM has Broadbent? Wow...i'll have to stop in to get some. But it's probably sliced thick right? I was thinking of getting one to slice like a prosciutto. Had it in NYC and it was GOOD

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 07:08:55 AM »
I can't remember what the other slice styles were called but there were different slice thickness I think. Ours look to be 1/8" or maybe just under.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 08:49:49 AM »
Really? YDFM has Broadbent? Wow...i'll have to stop in to get some. But it's probably sliced thick right? I was thinking of getting one to slice like a prosciutto. Had it in NYC and it was GOOD

YDFM has several different variety of their bacons, too, and they rock!  Very, very smoky.

Offline Corky

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 09:46:43 AM »
I believe Ingles carries Smithfield and Clifty Farms in pre-packaged slices. I don't care for the biscuit slices because they are too thin and become crispy very fast. I prefer the 1/4" slices for biscuits. Also, with the 1/4" slices you'll have a little fat, so when it is cooked you have enough leftover grease to make red eye gravy to either poor on the biscuit or dunk the biscuit.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline ginny

• Email
ham
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 10:15:50 AM »
I just bought a "COOKS" ham.  Brought it home and made pkgs for freezer of sliced ham, a ham roast (FOR New Years Day dinner), and cubed ham for freezer and the bone I'm using for ham and pea soup.
Shorts Retirement Home
Ginny and Jerry (This is Ginny)
Little Rock, AR USA

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 11:18:02 AM »
Any ideas to use up ham leftovers besides soup? I really like having leftover ham, but this year I'm a bit stumped.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »
Oops, could have sworn I posted in a plain "ham" thread, not country ham. I'll poke around later and move it.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »
pasta with ham, peas and cream is a classic

Offline Corky

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »
Actually, I am fixing 'scalloped potatoes and ham' tonight.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »
My family loves ham biscuits for breakfast. Freeze what you can't use right away and pull out a bit at a time.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 01:39:16 PM »
Thanks guys!

Jason - it is funny that you suggested that bc that was our original recipe plan last night. It will be dinner one ngiht this week for sure. What shape pasta do you like with it?