Author Topic: Country ham  (Read 9573 times)

Offline Minerva

Country ham
« on: December 18, 2009, 01:47:33 PM »
I ordered an aged country ham from a small Tennessee smokehouse and should have known I was in trouble when they were vague about the weight, saying each one varies.

It came today and it's a monster. Actually, two of them are crowding my fridge because one is a Christmas gift for relatives.

I love the idea of aged country ham but am clueless on how to use it other than the traditional biscuits, eggs and ham thang. Isn't country ham too salty to eat on its own?

Any suggestions? Does the meat freeze successfully?
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Country ham
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:57:34 PM »
The momofuku cookbook says to eat it just like a prosciutto, sliced really thin.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »
Really? That's terrific. Thanks. Do you by any chance know if it survives freezing well?

We also ordered the smokehouse's prosciutto and some of their bacon. Actually, we found them because a local chef turned us on to the bacon, which is indeed the best I've ever had.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 02:02:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can freeze it too.  You'll need a hacksaw with a clean (new) blade but you can hack off pieces/slices.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »
Friend of mine did the Good Eats country ham recipe and said it was pretty awesome.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 02:10:49 PM »
Actually, it's already sliced but still on the bone. But I think I can use the basics of Alton's recipe (thank you!) on slices rather than the whole ham.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 04:21:43 PM »
It came today and it's a monster.

I think Dorothy Parker said "Eternity is two people and a ham."   :) 

Offline Corky

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 07:35:07 AM »
I usually buy my country ham already sliced. If I am serving it to guests that don't care for the saltiness, I will soak it overnight in buttermilk. I used to buy whole cured country hams but decided I wasted too much. I routinely freeze my packaged ham slices and have never had a problem. If you would like I will give you the names of the 2 country ham providers I use. They are relatively inexpensive for already sliced ham around $6/lb. I don't have it shipped to me, but buy it when I am in North Carolina.
Guess I'll have to make up some biscuits, thaw out some ham, cook it in an iron skillet and then make some redeye gravy for breakfast this morning. Geez, I'm glad I ran across this message.

Corky
"3 burritos, a Pedro's tamale and a bowl of Texas Red on this empty seat beside me"
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Loundry

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 07:37:55 AM »
I'd like to read a taste test of country hams eaten like prosciutto: eaten raw, sliced thin.  I've read that people can eat country ham this way, but I haven't heard any reports of how favorably it compared to other dry-cured hams.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 07:49:40 AM »
We have nibbled on some of the "raw" slices and they are deeply flavorful, but the salt factor is omnipresent. Balanced with melon slices, however, they are quite good.

BTW, the smokehouse recommends a quick pan fry for slices with a bit of black coffee and brown sugar. Supposed to cut the salt. We're trying this method later this week.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 08:17:47 AM »
We have nibbled on some of the "raw" slices and they are deeply flavorful, but the salt factor is omnipresent. Balanced with melon slices, however, they are quite good.

BTW, the smokehouse recommends a quick pan fry for slices with a bit of black coffee and brown sugar. Supposed to cut the salt. We're trying this method later this week.

I wonder if potatoes would help with the salt as well - mebbe hashbrowns?

Offline Barnum

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 08:20:14 AM »
a quick pan fry for slices with a bit of black coffee and brown sugar

That certainly sounds tasty.  Slapped into a steaming fresh biscuit and I'm not sure you could beat it.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »

Offline BBQgeek

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 04:02:40 PM »
I published an article on a recipe I came across that is similar to the Alton Brown rehydrated ham recipe.  Check it out.  http://www.bbqgeek.com/2009/11/rehydrated-country-ham-recipe.html

I really enjoyed the recipe, but I can't stress how important it is to change the water frequently and go for as many days as make sense.  3 would have been good in my case.