Author Topic: Super Bowl Food  (Read 3541 times)

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
Re: Super Bowl Food
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »
My baby back ribs were the best I have ever made. I gave them a spice rub the night before and 3 hours at about 220 with pecan chips. They were sauced the last 45 minutes and then wrapped in foil until ready to eat. Perfect and they didn't last long once we served them. 

Good for you Andy, write it all down, and hang the directions near your charcoal... ;)

What was your rub?  What was your glaze/sauce ?

I used the following for the rub and I just made it up as I went along.

1 Tbls Kosher salt
1 Tbls Hungarian Paprika
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1 tsp cayenne chili powder
1 tsp freshly ground cumin seeds

I didn't put any brown sugar because I finished the ribs with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and it is pretty sweet.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 03:09:24 PM »

OBFood, the woman that hosted the party we went to had 2 flavors of fatty wings in liquid.  :P  I enjoy wings fried but it makes such a mess unless you can fry outside.  Next preference is grilled.  I could imagine baked being good if done right.

That was the thrust of the serious eats recipe...  To make a wing that was baked but indistinguishable from fried.  The baking powder/salt do a great job with dehydrating the skin and allowing it to get blistery.  It's actually a very well written story if you like to see how he settled on the technique.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 05:07:49 PM »
I found out by accident that baking chicken wings on parchment paper seems to make them crisper. Must be that the fat is soaked up as they cook.

Offline jimmy

• Email
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 06:30:52 AM »
duck fat fried, duck confit flautas with roasted serrano salsa