Author Topic: Super Bowl Food  (Read 3837 times)

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
Super Bowl Food
« on: February 06, 2011, 10:50:50 AM »
I'm curious what foods members are making for the big game today. I am getting ready to put on some baby back ribs and chicken wings for a long, slow cook on the Egg. I plan on making a Korean hot sauce to finish the wings, guacamole with blue corn chips, steamed edamame beans and some celery with blue cheese dip. That should hold us.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
Re: Super Bowl Food
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:14:43 AM »
I'm making Momfuku style wings.  I'm combing the oven fried wings that Kenji over at Serious Eats outlined (http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/the-best-baked-buffalo-chicken-wings-in-oven-not-fried-appetizers.html) and a recipe I found at steamykitchen.com (http://steamykitchen.com/6902-momofuku-baked-chicken-wings.html).  The wings sat overnight with salt and baking powder.  Really excited to see how these turn out.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 11:15:23 AM »
We're doing some wings too.  My buddy & I are doing some regular hot, teriyaki, and spice rub.  All will be grilled.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »
Pizza from Grant Central. I'm uninspired.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »
I'm curious what foods members are making for the big game today. I am getting ready to put on some baby back ribs and chicken wings for a long, slow cook on the Egg. I plan on making a Korean hot sauce to finish the wings, guacamole with blue corn chips, steamed edamame beans and some celery with blue cheese dip. That should hold us.

Simple, simple fare.  We are not having a party nor guests (CP has a cold/sinus infection)..  She wants burgers, guacamole, and possibly some chix wingz (not in that order).   I am gonna whoop us up some killer burgers and let 'em rest for a few hours while I clean the kitchen somewhat and get ready for the game. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »
Black bean relish, guacamole, queso dip and hominy casserole. My Steelers fan is in a south-of-theborder mood.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Daniel

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 02:04:56 PM »
Having a small get together; Chili (improv'd a new recipe yesterday, a mix of dried new mexicos and roasted poblanos and anaheims, also some chipotle powder), Potato Skins, Chips and Guac/Salsa, Pigs in a Blanket and then Hot Dogs for the kids.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 07:54:15 AM »
My baby back ribs were the best I have ever made. I gave them a spice rub the night before and 3 hours at about 220 with pecan chips. They were sauced the last 45 minutes and then wrapped in foil until ready to eat. Perfect and they didn't last long once we served them.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 09:01:54 AM »
Pizza was from Savage (coupon), and evaporated. Buddy from the neighborhood brought over a chili he threw together, which worked pretty well. Snax and other stuff were pedestrian, but still eaten.

Game was pretty good (I wasn't so much a Steelers fan as rooting for the underdog), but the mauling of the National Anthem, and the horrible sound mixing during the Black Eyed Peas was nasty.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:06:02 AM »
...and the horrible sound mixing during the Black Eyed Peas was nasty.

C'mon, you can't really blame the bad sound of the Black Eyed Peas on the sound guy.  Let's be honest with ourselves: they just plain suck and no sound guy can fix that (aside from hitting the mute button).

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 09:44:20 AM »
I'm not a fan myself, but at least if you're going to do a production, do it right.

Wish I had some of the pizza leftover - I do like Savage as far as 'corner shop' type pizza is concerned. Had a Buttafuco and a No Brainer, and both were tasty. I need to try their calzones some time.

Eating snacks this AM. Should just throw most of them away...

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »
My baby back ribs were the best I have ever made. I gave them a spice rub the night before and 3 hours at about 220 with pecan chips. They were sauced the last 45 minutes and then wrapped in foil until ready to eat. Perfect and they didn't last long once we served them. 

Good for you Andy, write it all down, and hang the directions near your charcoal... ;)

What was your rub?  What was your glaze/sauce ?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
I'm making Momfuku style wings.  I'm combing the oven fried wings that Kenji over at Serious Eats outlined (http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/the-best-baked-buffalo-chicken-wings-in-oven-not-fried-appetizers.html) and a recipe I found at steamykitchen.com (http://steamykitchen.com/6902-momofuku-baked-chicken-wings.html).  The wings sat overnight with salt and baking powder.  Really excited to see how these turn out.

Did they turn out salty?

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »

Did they turn out salty?

Not at all.  When they were first done, I thought they could have used a little more saltiness.  I'll probably add some fish sauce to the vinaigrette next time.   They did come out crisp though. 

Offline totm

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
...and the horrible sound mixing during the Black Eyed Peas was nasty.

C'mon, you can't really blame the bad sound of the Black Eyed Peas on the sound guy.  Let's be honest with ourselves: they just plain suck and no sound guy can fix that (aside from hitting the mute button).
Not to mention playing in a large stadium and that everything gets set up in a matter of minutes.  Stadium shows can never come close to Carnegie Hall, Red Rocks, or even our local Tabernacle and aren't intended to.

OBFood, the woman that hosted the party we went to had 2 flavors of fatty wings in liquid.  :P  I enjoy wings fried but it makes such a mess unless you can fry outside.  Next preference is grilled.  I could imagine baked being good if done right.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon