Author Topic: Are you better at baking or cooking?  (Read 3721 times)

Offline A_Russian_Cook

• American recipes with a Russian twist!
Are you better at baking or cooking?
« on: December 17, 2009, 03:31:25 PM »
You know what they say, if you can bake, you can't really cook, if you can cook, your baking is not its best. I for one, cannot bake what-so-ever. I can cook pretty well, but give me the simplest cake recipe and I will mess it up.

What about the rest of you guys? Which one are you better at, cooking or baking, or BOTH?  :P

Marina
http://marinasrecipebox.wordpress.com
-------------------------------------------
Join my blog - http://marinasrecipebox.wordpress.com

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Are you better at baking or cooking?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »
I like to think of myself as proficient in both... :)

Offline Marmite Loving Euniculus

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 06:50:11 PM »
I cook much better than I bake.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 05:51:04 AM »
You really don't want to eat anything I bake.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Barnum

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 06:30:49 AM »
My take:

Great Bakers follow instructions very well.  Baking is, after all, a lot about chemistry... certain ingredients, processes, and ratios are critical to it working.  Get too creative here without understanding the underlying "why" about why the recipe is telling you to do or use something in particular and the whole thing may fail.

Great Cooks are creative and reactive.  They change things, they taste and make great adjustments.  They rarely follow a recipe verbatim.

I am an Engineer, therefore I am a better baker than cook because I MUST follow instructions...

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 11:14:16 AM »
I agree. Baking is much less forgiving than cooking, and a hard, white, rock-like loaf of "bread" is so heartbreaking and discouraging.That said, ovens have a lot to do with baking success as well. We could not bake anything successfully at our old house and now we fare much better.

I am a much better cook than baker and so is my husband.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 12:49:52 PM »
I'm probably a better cook than a baker, but I seem to be pretty good at both.
Food is my favorite.

Offline secret chef

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 12:56:41 PM »
I am a much better cook than a baker. 

When I am cooking, I feel like I can constantly make 'mid-course corrections' on the stove and/or grill whereas baking to me is an angst-filled event waiting for the oven timer to go off.   ;D

My wife is a fantastic baker, so we happily co-exist in the kitchen.

Loundry

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 08:15:08 AM »

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 11:41:06 AM »
Interesting point on the flexible vs. hard core instruction following and right on the nose.
Cooking for me is a snap.  Most things come out edible.
While I enjoy baking, I often fail because even though I *could* follow that recipe to the letter, I like to tinker too.
When I restrain myself until I really understand what is going on, I have much more success.
Breads took a long time and a lot of flour, yeast and starter until I had stepped back and really began to research and understand what different ingredients can do to a loaf.
Most other pastries, cookies and candies come out decent but suffer from a lack of practice.  It is really impossible to have all that stuff around and not end up the size of a house!
My current chosen pastry challenge is pastry/pie crust.
I still am screwing that up just about every step of the way.  :-\
All that aside, for me, playing with food still ranges from being very zen to an outright head-banging party.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 06:14:01 PM »
I baked sweets today and I can tell you for sure I am a much better cook than baker. I was like a one armed paper hanger juggling ingredients and measuring everything. My cooking style is pure instinct and I use my palate, (hope I got that right FG), to adjust seasonings. My bread is not too bad though.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 12:09:55 PM »
I think I do both reasonably well.  I definitely do more cooking than baking, and my baking shies away from anything "delicate" like a pie crust. I tend mainly towards quick breads, cakes, cookies and yeast breads. I've been baking long enough, and have done enough reading, that I feel comfortable improvising with ingredients. I still need to consult the recipes, but that's really just to make sure I get the right amount of leaveners in or don't over salt.  Baking is the only thing I still follow recipes for. For anything else, I read a couple recipe versions of what i want to make, then improvise something that takes the best elements of each one.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »
From best to worst:
grilling
[huge dropoff here]
toasting
carbonizing
boiling
cooking
steaming
blanching
suateeing
frying
roasting
poaching
flambeeing
baking

geonuc

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 06:04:31 AM »
While it would be a stretch to say I'm good at cooking, I definitely can't bake. I can't even produce a decent pizza.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 07:24:24 AM »
While it would be a stretch to say I'm good at cooking, I definitely can't bake. I can't even produce a decent pizza.

Hey, I thought one of your New Years resolutions was to not be too hard on yourself..   From what I've seen, your food looks pretty dern decent?

Making pizza is one of those things that depend on who you are making it for IMHO.  If it is for you just to eat, then almost anything you put on stretched dough (puffy or not) and that tastes good, is a success.  If you are making to emulate one of the pizza shops, or to photograph it is a different story altogether.  

I have made some butt-ugly pizza for our dinner at home that would NOT make a cover picture on a gardening magazine much less here, or anywhere that food is pictured, but they tasted pretty good at the time.  We have also made some fairly pretty pizzas (not many) that both looked good and got sortof cold while I shot pictures of them but were tasty.

Sometimes chasing restaurant styles or quality flies in the face of fixing dinner given the time we have and the energy we want to pump into providing ourselves with food.  Babies, jobs, hobbies and other things get in the way sometimes, and we just want to fix something quick & somewhat tasty to call dinner.  

I am way better at going to a restaurant then either baking or cooking, but I like all of the options.  

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.