Author Topic: Minimalist No More  (Read 2680 times)

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Minimalist No More
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:26:36 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/dining/26mini.html?_r=1&ref=dining

This was news to me, but Mark Bittman is no longer going to be writing his "Minimalist" column.  I've used a lot of good recipes of his over the years and I think at one time or another we've all tried Lahey's no-knead bread which was featured one week back in the mid-2000's - what he calls "...the most popular recipe I never invented."

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
Re: Minimalist No More
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:48:50 AM »
Yeah, I saw that this morning. That makes sad.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline LamarT

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:57:10 PM »
I read that today as well and was a bit sad until he got to the part where he would be writing an opinion column on food politics. I like that and we do need
more voices in the political stage working in favor of us all.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:07:46 PM »
I read that today as well and was a bit sad until he got to the part where he would be writing an opinion column on food politics. I like that and we do need more voices in the political stage working in favor of us all.

Agreed.  I'm sure he will stir up many debates on asinine food rules.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
As long as he doesn't turn into another Michael Pollan...

Offline kahvigirl

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »
Maybe he wasn't supposed to mention it in the NYT but for the past few months he's been doing a feature in Cooking Light. The January/February piece on fried rice reminds me of his minimalist work, only with color photography.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:54:25 AM »
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/a-food-manifesto-for-the-future/?ref=opinion

Bittman is back with his new column. He's being allowed to expand his scope and talk about all sorts of food-related issues. The first one is quite ambitious as he talks about what he would do to change government policies, which includes:
-end subsidies for processed foods
-start subsidizing fresh food producers and purveyors
-break up the USDA and empower the FDA to regulate food safety
-outlaw concentrated animal farming
-encourage home cooking through education and maybe subsidized assistance
-tax unhealthy foods
-reduce waste and encourage recycling
-invest in sustainable agriculture research

They all sound like good ideas, and they all have the same chance of being implemented: zero. It will be business as usual for as long as possible.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 03:46:19 PM »

here here.
I've had it with a lot of food people.
I heard a guy on a podcast who said that basically kosher salt is the devil, and we should only be using sel gris, at a minimum. Seriously..i'm getting a little sick and tired of the pontification and righteousness.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »

here here.
I've had it with a lot of food people.
I heard a guy on a podcast who said that basically kosher salt is the devil, and we should only be using sel gris, at a minimum. Seriously..i'm getting a little sick and tired of the pontification and righteousness.

+1!

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 04:44:42 PM »
http://byliner.com/mark-bittman/stories/excerpt-cooking-solves-everything

Bittman has a new essay/booklet out where he extols home cooking. Americans are the least cooking nation on earth; 7% of all Americans never cook, and 3/4 think that eating out is a better use of their time than cooking and cleaning. The book is only $2.99 and short enough to read in one sitting.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 09:11:07 PM »
Contrarian here - who the heck is going to buy that? Sorry, but from the moment I purchased his  supposedly "how to cook everything", I have had a secret dislike for him because it is not that great of a basic cookcook. So shoot me. He seems now to be jumping on the slow foods, whole foods, Pollan band wagon, but with no more new ideas. Yawn to both him and Pollan. They are both super over-exposed.
Whenever we do turn to his cookbook we call him "bitter-bit". As in, let's see what bitter-bit has to say. We rarely default to him.

I'd rather recommend oldies but goodies like Julia or The New Basics. Much better for learning the basics on how to cook, IMHO. Rant over.

Offline vssparky

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 09:34:22 PM »
"but from the moment I purchased his supposedly "how to cook everything", I have had a secret dislike for him because it is not that great of a basic cook book."
Amen! "how to cook everything", I think not!

Offline LamarT

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 03:09:04 PM »
Liz, you are so correct about Julia, New Basics and I have to add Pepin's combined La Technique and La Method. These books
are essentials to any kitchen. An updated Silver Spoon (Phaedon Press) is out as well. Silver Spoon is pretty much perfect.
Jacque Pepin has a new book coming out soon that is a collection of his best updated. Who needs bitter and snark when there
is a wealth of love in the great books old and new.