Author Topic: Others Finally Seeing that Fruits Can Marry...  (Read 1484 times)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

Others Finally Seeing that Fruits Can Marry...
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:45:08 PM »
Barley and hops?

Am I ahead of the curve again or is Crawford calling us uOTPians girly men?

Mebbe, I should not have given alternate theories.

Long secure in my masculinity, I like beer with fruit flavor. So I'm at 5SBP North and sundry microbrews had "citrus" and "fruit" in the description.

Vindication!

This Saturday, they are having a 5th anniversary special which includes half-off on beer. I may have to head over for a fruitful day. Something about three bands and mebbe some food specials too.

WWKD? Menu had cliched items like egg rolls and burritos, but they were filled with alligator and rabbit. Don't know if the latter adventure nullifies the former banality.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Others Finally Seeing that Fruits Can Marry...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:15:32 AM »
I'm not sure others are "finally" seeing the light. Hefeweizens are and have been for as long as i've been drinking them (all of 10-15 years!!! WOW) been served with a slice of orange. I like it.

Offline totm

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:39:06 AM »
Barley and hops?
So I'm at 5SBP North and sundry microbrews had "citrus" and "fruit" in the description. 
Fruit doesn't have to physically be introduced in the brewing process for the beer to warrant "citrus" or "fruit" in the description.  Certain strains of hops are known to impart a grapefruit or citrus flavor (Cascade) and some are know to impart a pine flavor (Columbus, Centennial).  Fruitiness is usually introduced based upon a yeast strain, banana (Bavarina Hefe-weizen), or from the temperature that the beer is fermented at.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »
Barley and hops?
So I'm at 5SBP North and sundry microbrews had "citrus" and "fruit" in the description.  
Fruit doesn't have to physically be introduced in the brewing process for the beer to warrant "citrus" or "fruit" in the description.  Certain strains of hops are known to impart a grapefruit or citrus flavor (Cascade) and some are know to impart a pine flavor (Columbus, Centennial).  Fruitiness is usually introduced based upon a yeast strain, banana (Bavarina Hefe-weizen), or from the temperature that the beer is fermented at.

Food, drink, business, I'm always a bottom line guy.

Regardless of the means and process, I do like fruit taste in a beer. It's seems we fruit beer guys had to stay in the closet. But I think we are being accepted.

I believe we will be mainstream. The next White House beer summit will be all fruity beers I hereby predict.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:09:09 PM by Not Infamous Chef uOTPia Dweller »
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline biskuit

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 07:39:20 AM »
I just saw some Two Hearted at Toco Giant. It is out there. The Hopslam is another story, disappearing as soon as it hit shelves this week.