Author Topic: At Home Dim Sum  (Read 1535 times)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
At Home Dim Sum
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:47:10 AM »
I've been buying frozen dim sum for years, but the char siu discussion got me to do some photogs of the stuff currently in the freezer. Here's a quick rundown (there's a ton of stuff available at Buford Hwy FM and SuperH - check it out and see what floats your boat):

This stuff is nasty char siu bao - the pork tastes like dirt, and the bun is almost Play-doe in consistancy.

This is the best US brand of char Siu I've run across. The bun is a nice flavor, and the meat and sauce has a decent sweet/tang to it. I also like the resealable bag.

A decent wonton-wrapped bun, the pork can have a bit of gristle (about 1 out of 10). Use some hot sesame oil with the dipping sauce to pick it up a bit.

Something new I tried this morning. For pre-cooked, they're pretty good. Decent ginger, and the wonton wrapper is fairly thin.

Something else that's new. The steamer is packed away, so I gotta dig it out to make these. They're Vietnamese, and looked interesting, esp. with a little shrimp plopped in the middle of each one.

For the few of you that haven't done your own dim sum, when you shop for dim sum, read the prep carefully - some are pre-cooked, which make them easier to make (microwave), but they don't taste as good as the 'raw' type. Most potstickers are best heated in a pan with a touch of oil to brown them, then dump 1/4 cup of water in the pan and cover on warm for about 4 min. Watch out when you add the water to oil. The char siu bao can be nuked.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 11:50:12 AM by KoPP »

Offline mikeamor

• Email
Re: At Home Dim Sum
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:12:18 PM »
I love picking this stuff up when there is room in the freezer.
We have also had good luck with pork or shrimp siu mai as well as scallion pancakes.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.