Author Topic: Homemade Guanciale  (Read 2074 times)

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Homemade Guanciale
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Pancetta is running low so I've got some pork jowls from an Ossabaw that is cured and ready for drying.  With the pancetta technique I read from JM's blog, the cure was rinsed off and a dry rub was pressed into the meat before drying.  I assume I wash off the cure this time as well but I'm curious as to whether or not to put a dry spice rub on the guanciale?  If so, any specifics?

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Homemade Guanciale
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »
it's really up to you. Treat it the same way you would a pancetta.
The spices you use are up to your imagination....
or nothing at all if you cured it with spices.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »
OK good enough, thanks.  I just used some black pepper and red chile flakes in the cure.  I may add some extra stuff into the final stage.  What about using fresh herbs?  Obviously they will behave a bit differently than dried herbs during the few weeks it will be in the fridge, so just curious.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
i try to avoid fresh herbs in cured products, as they have a high incidence of botulism. We use cure to alleviate that, but no point adding a larger bacterial load than necessary...

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »
OK, I'll certainly avoid that then.

Offline LamarT

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
I am posting here just to revive a JMO discussion about guanciale and reiterate to stay away from fresh herbs for cured meats.
Used in small doses guanciale adds amazing richness to gnocchi. Like any cheek, throat or belly the uses are as vast as the kitchen itself.
There is a nice background flavor that reminds me of prosciutto and pancetta all at once (in the best of ways).
JMo has always approached his recipes with a sense of depth and precision; best ever was the blood sausage he and **** made a few years back.