Author Topic: The Shed at Glenwood  (Read 2011 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
The Shed at Glenwood
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:56:46 PM »
Had dinner here last night. I can't believe I have never been there before (maybe the name didn't appeal?) - it is very close to our house and I have been wishing for just such a place for a while. I had a really good ribeye and subbed an arugula and parm salad for the sunchokes that were supposed to come with it. DH had the roast suckling pig with excellent collards. The pork was served on top of super delicious, corny grits with a terrific stone-ground texture. They bring out a bowl of popcorn instead of bread, and that was fun bc I LOVE popcorn. Also had an amuse of medjool dates stuffed with parm. Nice warm space with candles and it didn't break the bank either. Only half full around 8 on a Thursday, so I hope that they are doing ok.

We liked it so much that we are seriously thinking about hitting Sunday brunch and taking the rest of the family along. Anyone else been to this place?

http://www.theshedatglenwood.com/menus.html

Modified so the second sentence makes sense!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:25:54 PM by LizR »

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
Re: The Shed at Glenwood
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:17:34 PM »
It's an un-sung treasure in our 'hood along with Miso Iz.   Go for slider night.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 06:26:48 PM »
Definitely BB! Seems like maybe every night is slider night now? There were a number of sliders on the menu last night.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:07:22 AM »
It's an un-sung treasure in our 'hood along with Miso Iz.   Go for slider night.

been there probably 3 times now and have been disappointed with the "daily sliders" (about anything in the kitchen put on a little bun) but have always enjoyed the specialty sliders (wagyu, scallops, etc...).

folks there always seem nice and certainly is a nice vibe every time I've been there.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 01:55:13 PM »
Went again for dinner with DH and the kid, who is 5. She's been before, but I always worry a little that even through she is well-behaved, couples on dinner dates won't appreciate having kids around. So, we try to go early. When we got there around 6:30 we were pleasantly suprised to find five other families with small kids there. By the time we left, the vibe was definitely more adult. It is fun to have a neighborhood place that is a nice atmosphere but welcomes kids - evidently we are not the only ones who feel that way!

Antipasto platter is terrific, if a bit pricey at $14. They do a selection of cheeses, house-made pickled things, olives, and charcuterie. My absolute favorites last night were the pickled things, including a black pickled hard boiled egg and a pickled radish that was a beautiful orange color and reminded me of kim chee. Have to find out how to make those pickled eggs. For entrees, DH got the ribeye topped with foie gras and served with roasted brussels sprouts. It was cooked a perfect medium rare. I enjoyed my entree of trout served with a "winter vegetable" salad, which turned out to be a delightful tumble of fennel, radishes and carrot shavings. DD had the pasta with red sauce from the kids menu and deemed it "too spicy". So she ate the popcorn and bread and we force-fed her some of the non-spicy charcuterie.

There was a huge table of 26 there by the time we left, so they can certainly accomodate large parties.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »
Brunch here today for the first time; we sat outside and enjoyed the weather. I had The Shed eggs benedict, which was two poached eggs on fried green tomato slices on biscuit halves with a nice sauce. Side of sliced fried potatoes were so good I ate all of them, which was not my plan initially. DD had the french toast and it was just the right size for her - two smallish diagonally cut baguette slices. It was not really soaked enough and I think an adult would have been suprised at the relatively meager plate but she enjoyed it. DH had the pork taquitos with avocado and green hatch chilis. The best part was that the grand total was $30. We will be back. Seems like a nice place to take guests for brunch.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 01:58:47 PM »
So, it has been a while. Had brunch here on Sunday. Two of us had the burger and I had the bagel with lox and avocado. Everything was tasty (except did not love the bacon jam on the burger). One issue came up - the burgers seemed house-ground and they really could have used another grind or a finer grind. Found several pieces of yucky stuff in them. I wanted to email them some friendly. hopefully constructive, feedback but they don't have an email address on their website. I really don't want to call them...

This marks the start of our great burger comparison. For what it is worth, the burger at the Park Tavern is also very good but the H&F bun they use is not quite sturdy enough on the bottom to support that size burger. Onward!