Author Topic: I am a person!  (Read 4271 times)

Offline rebelliousrose

I am a person!
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:19:19 AM »
I am still stuck waiting tables to pay the bills, and I am at a place that doesn't particularly float my boat (took the job to work with one individual- turned down Empire State South to do it) and that's also proved unfulfilling.

This job exposes me to a lot of difficult customers on a regular basis, and I am starting to realize that in the eyes of these people, I am a non-person. I am "the help".

That sucks.

I have never, in my 25+ years of dealing with the restaurant public, some so close to cursing someone out and getting fired as I did the other night. It was the beginning of shift, and I (as one often does) had used the ladies' room, in my uniform. The pastry chef, on a similar errand was next to me at the sinks, and a customer entered the bathroom, stopped, looked at me, and said "I am so glad to see you are washing your hands."

My mouth literally dropped open. I couldn't speak, which was probably a good thing, because if I could have, I would have shoved my red, cracked, bleeding, painful  hands (from washing constantly in the winter) in her face and throttled her.

She would never have said that to a person. And by person, I mean, "someone who isn't a restaurant flunky in a cheesy polyester jacket".

The pastry chef put her hand on my arm and said "take a breath" and I got control of myself (because my second choice was to whirl on her and snap "make sure you wipe the seat when you get done peeing on it") and we left the bathroom.

It ruined my night. I am still upset.

I want to be a person.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

Re: I am a person!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:27:24 AM »
Now that's the Rebbie Rose we all loved way back in the AART days.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Minerva

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »
That's a Jerry Seinfeld/Larry David moment. Just saw the episode again in which Seinfeld was in the men's room with the pizza guy who didn't wash his hands. Seinfed was horrified and refused to eat his pizza. But at least S had the manners and good sense not to say anything directly to the PG. Apparently some other similarly tight-assed people aren't as tactful.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »
I feel your pain, Rebbie. I'm unemployed at the moment, and while my husband has not put any pressure on me at all to find a job, other than to say, "Do whatever you want to do," I'm thinking about going back to waiting tables. I guess I like it, but it is really bittersweet.

It's bittersweet because I know that some people will always look at me and think that I'm working that kind of job because I'm too stupid to do anything else, but I like to think that I know a little secret that they don't know. Comeuppance came when the Recession hit and many of those same people came into my place of work in droves - 60-100 per day - and applied for a job, only to be turned away. We were short-staffed, and even though we had to shut down whole sections of tables just to let people sit down and fill out applications, most of them were not hire able.

You're not just a person: You're a Qualified Professional and you are good at what you do. And the woman who said that doesn't even know what a vulgar, common pig she is. (No offense to actual pigs, sorry).

In Sisterhood,
Foodgeek
Food is my favorite.

Offline rebelliousrose

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 11:19:39 AM »
@Minerva- The thing that really chapped me off was the implication (or statement) that most of us DON'T wash our hands. She was so pleased that I was because I am a horrible pig with disgusting hygeine because I am wearing a restaurant jacket.

@FG- Oh no!!! I am so sorry to hear that; your job sounded perfect for you. Did the recession get you too? I'll email you; I have a lead on managing a frozen yogurt shop- they weren't interested in me, but they might love you.

Offline Foodgeek

• The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »
@FG- Oh no!!! I am so sorry to hear that; your job sounded perfect for you. Did the recession get you too? I'll email you; I have a lead on managing a frozen yogurt shop- they weren't interested in me, but they might love you.

It's OK. I was overpaid and under worked for nearly a year, plus I got to hand out lots of free cheese. (For those of you that missed out on the Free Cheese Bandwagon, sorry. Maybe next time.) I trained my boss's son to do my job so that I could honeymoon in Japan, and then my boss realized that it would be cheaper to just let his son do the job. No biggie.

A yogurt shop might be interesting. Still looking around at this point, and I haven't applied anywhere. I should probably get on the stick.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
Though I would never be inclined to verbalize it, every time I see one of those warning signs in a restroom advising employees to wash their hands, I have to admit that I wonder how many employees fail to do so.  It's not that I think anyone is not a person; rather, it's the opposite.  Although many employees probably pride themselves on being super-human, others are probably just human, and humans can forget to wash their hands.  None of this excuses the rude comment, of course.

Offline totm

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 11:45:17 AM »
Twue story:
We used to regulars at a bar/restaurant in Sandy Springs.  Got to know a couple of the waitresses on a personal level.  Took one of them, with her young son, to a UGA game at Sanford stadium.  V happened to use the facilities at the same time as said woman.  She did NOT wash her hands after taking care of business.  Did she do it when she was in the bar/restaurant?  I don't know but if you are in the habit of always doing it then you always do it.

BTW, I'm pretty sure it wasn't rebelliousrose, even though she has indicated that she waited tables at establishments in Sandy Springs.

And I consider the patron who made that comment to her rude.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Girly

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
I used to send male friends in with dates to see if they washed their hands....if not, they wouldn't even get a kiss goodnight ;) I wonder back if these dates thought I had a lot of gay male friends who wanted to see them pee or if I just had a lot of male friends with weak bladders!

Honestly, I've heard a lot worse when I was waitressing and TONS worse owning a store in a small town. I'm also smartalecky enough where I would probably say that as a joke in a bathroom after being overserved meaning zero disrespect to anyone. Don't let words get to ya :)

If I was healthier I'd love to go back to being a waitress - it was a total hoot and one of the few "jobs" I've loved. I never worked anywhere fancy though. I was mostly a beer and booze slinger. Life got a lot less interesting when they stopped 3 for 1!

Offline rebelliousrose

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 12:59:05 PM »
BTW, I'm pretty sure it wasn't rebelliousrose, even though she has indicated that she waited tables at establishments in Sandy Springs.

I have never worked in Sandy Springs.

Offline totm

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »

My mistake.  I thought either on AART or Cal's mother's ship you had.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Foodgeek

• The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 02:35:18 PM »

My mistake.  I thought either on AART or Cal's mother's ship you had.

You're confusing her with WhatNameIsNotTaken.
Food is my favorite.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 05:25:21 PM »
Because I have Crohn's Disease, some of my best times of the day are spent in the stall. However, there are some men in my place of employment that I will not shake hands with. I take careful look at there shoes and make my mental notes. That's just gross.....
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam