Author Topic: Philly  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Lorenzo

Re: Philly
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 10:27:49 AM »
In Philly a few weeks ago and a return trip to John's.  Pork was great, bread was soggy.  I KNOW that we ordered it w/rabe in the past, but this time they insisted that it was spinach.  Maybe no rabe available that day?

Also, first visit to Tony Luke's, and all that was impressive was the bread.  The fact that they have opened stores Las Vegas, Atlantic city and Bahrain, among others, does not seem to bode well for them.  Wanted to get to Paesano's, but were never in the right 'hood.

. . .

How sad about Tony Luke's building an empire.  Greed greed greed.  And roast pork in Bahrain?!

Offline Lorenzo

Re: Philly
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »
First visit to Tony Luke's while in Philly for Thanksgiving.  The day after Thanksgiving, and apparently with a Flyers game that afternoon, the line was out the door, and it took about 30 minutes before we ordered and got our food.  It's quite the major operation--I prefer a smaller more personal place like John's Roast Pork where they might actually chat with you while assembling your sandwich.

Our favorite was the Italian hoagie.  Although cheesesteaks and roast porks were our original targets, at the last minute I recalled how I've never found Italian hoagies/subs/etc anywhere else that were as good as I remembered having in Philly.  Sure enough, Tony Luke's was a winner.  I love the oregano-scented olive oil and the hot peppers.  In second place was the cheesesteak.  It was okay, but there was just something underwhelming about it.  Of course, it's difficult to mentally compare a food you eat only once every few years.  In last place was the roast pork with broccoli rabe.  Not that flavorful.  Seemed skimpy on the meat.  Maybe our expectations were just too high because the place is so popular.  We much preferred John's.