Author Topic: mexican chorizo  (Read 2931 times)

Offline ginny

• Email
mexican chorizo
« on: December 14, 2010, 03:59:07 PM »
Anyone have a good/great recipe for making it. I have tried to make it a time or two but doesn't turn out like I want it too, like I can buy it from a Mexican market. I know the "secret" is vinegar but what else???
Shorts Retirement Home
Ginny and Jerry (This is Ginny)
Little Rock, AR USA

Offline mikeamor

• Email
Re: mexican chorizo
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 04:09:47 AM »
I guess it depends on the style you like (fresh, cured, mild, spicy, Mexican, Spanish, etc.).
Here's a recipe I used from lets-make-sausage.com.
It made an OK sausage but what not exactly what I was looking for.
I've actually used chorizo I recently found at Kroger the last couple of times I wanted some.
It comes in a chub, is very spicy and surprisingly good.
I do not want to know what is in it but is is a good loose Mexican version.

------------------------------------------------------------
    * 5 pounds boned pork butt
    * 4 teaspoons hot ground pepper (I use cayenne)
    * 5 teaspoons granulated garlic (or 4-6 fresh cloves)
    * 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
    * 2 tablespoons good quality commercial chili powder
    * 1 teaspoon medium grind fresh black pepper
    * 2 tablespoons paprika
    * 2 to 3 tablespoons Kosher salt
    * 1 cup cider vinegar, very cold or chilled with ice

1. Trim the pork, cut it into 1 inch cubes. Put it into the refrigerator to cool and then grind it through the 1/4 inch plate of your meat grinder.
   2. Combine the spices in a 1 small container and mix them the 1 cup of very cold cider vinegar.
   3. Pour the spice and vinegar combination into the ground pork and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
   4. Either stuff into casings or make into bulk packages.
   5. If you stuff the sausage, it is best to let it hang (if possible) in a cooler or refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours to dry.

As with most fresh sausage, this recipe will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days and its quality will start to diminish after 3 months in the freezer.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline ginny

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
I guess it depends on the style you like (fresh, cured, mild, spicy, Mexican, Spanish, etc.).
Here's a recipe I used from lets-make-sausage.com.
It made an OK sausage but what not exactly what I was looking for.
I've actually used chorizo I recently found at Kroger the last couple of times I wanted some.
It comes in a chub, is very spicy and surprisingly good.
I do not want to know what is in it but is is a good loose Mexican version.

------------------------------------------------------------
    * 5 pounds boned pork butt
    * 4 teaspoons hot ground pepper (I use cayenne)
    * 5 teaspoons granulated garlic (or 4-6 fresh cloves)
    * 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
    * 2 tablespoons good quality commercial chili powder
    * 1 teaspoon medium grind fresh black pepper
    * 2 tablespoons paprika
    * 2 to 3 tablespoons Kosher salt
    * 1 cup cider vinegar, very cold or chilled with ice

1. Trim the pork, cut it into 1 inch cubes. Put it into the refrigerator to cool and then grind it through the 1/4 inch plate of your meat grinder.
   2. Combine the spices in a 1 small container and mix them the 1 cup of very cold cider vinegar.
   3. Pour the spice and vinegar combination into the ground pork and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
   4. Either stuff into casings or make into bulk packages.
   5. If you stuff the sausage, it is best to let it hang (if possible) in a cooler or refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours to dry.

As with most fresh sausage, this recipe will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days and its quality will start to diminish after 3 months in the freezer.

Thanks for the recipe, yea I can buy Mexican chorizo all around.
Shorts Retirement Home
Little Rock, AR USA

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »
Anyone have a good/great recipe for making it. I have tried to make it a time or two but doesn't turn out like I want it too, like I can buy it from a Mexican market. I know the "secret" is vinegar but what else???

One thing about bought-in-the-Mexican market Chorizo, it is very fat, possibly 30% or more, and it has a bunch of achiote powder or tea in it.  I have made it a couple times but have decided to leave it up to the professionals.  And yes, it does have either bitter orange or vinegar in it..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline ginny

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »

One thing about bought-in-the-Mexican market Chorizo, it is very fat, possibly 30% or more, and it has a bunch of achiote powder or tea in it.  I have made it a couple times but have decided to leave it up to the professionals.  And yes, it does have either bitter orange or vinegar in it..

That is I think true, Mike  about buying the Mexican Chorizo it is very fatty. So I'm making my own. It not too difficult too make either. Just have to find the 'flavor' that we like, still experimenting. So will give it another go, in 2011. 
Shorts Retirement Home
Little Rock, AR USA