Click here for Restaurant.com  -  $25 Restaurant.com Gift Cards for $15.

Author Topic: Gu's Bistro  (Read 11945 times)

Offline steve_drucker

• Email
Gu's Bistro
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:16:10 PM »
In the space that was up until very recently Chong Qing Hotpot in the outside the perimeter deserted former Value City Buford Hwy strip fronted by Chick Filet, Gu's Bistro opened 3 days ago.

Strong Sichuan menu. The chef and his family are from Cheng Du in Sichuan and the food shows it. Meal started with house made turnip, carrot and onion pickle:

Then Spicy Fish in Hot Pot, a melange of hot braised fish, red oil, chiles, glass noodles, various fungus, tofu skin, bean sprouts and potato. Truly memorable:

Fully bi-lingual waitron. BYOB. Website not up yet. The takeout menus are still printing. If you want it hot with full hot numbing Ma La, tell the server in no uncertain terms and she will see that her father, the chef, delivers.

Based on this lunch today--and the fact that this is SO much better than either Chong Qing Hot Pot, Gu's Bistro is  a 'Run, don't walk'--THE stand up place for Sichuan on this side of town.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: Gu's Bistro
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »
In the space that was up until very recently Chong Qing Hotpot in the outside the perimeter deserted former Value City Buford Hwy strip fronted by Chick Filet, Gu's Bistro opened 3 days ago.

Strong Sichuan menu. The chef and his family are from Cheng Du in Sichuan and the food shows it. Meal started with house made turnip, carrot and onion pickle:
<< edit >>
Based on this lunch today--and the fact that this is SO much better than either Chong Qing Hot Pot, Gu's Bistro is  a 'Run, don't walk'--THE stand up place for Sichuan on this side of town.

Looking good, it is on my "want to go" list Steve...

5750 Buford Hwy
Ste A
Doraville, GA 30340

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:48:09 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline steve_drucker

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 07:28:18 AM »
Where did the month go? It's taken me two weeks to get back to Gu's Bistro with a large round table filled with seekers joined in a singular quest to answer the question "Is this a really good, maybe great, Sichuan restaurant?" And on the Buford Highway side of town, to boot?

In short--the answer is a resounding yes. This is a notable Sichuan kitchen, different from any previously seen here in Atlanta for it's emphatic moderate use of salt (compare this to other notable Sichuan chefs' frequent salt explosions), lack of greasiness and almost complete absence of MSG (again, compare to other places you have tried). The lack of MSG means that the dishes rely on true flavors to succeed, rather than umami glutomated injections.

I'm not alone here in my thoughts. Caviar 'n Chitlins, at this link provides the narrative http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/756531?tag=boards;topic-756531 . And in a private communication, a long time Tasty China accolyte well known to all of us confided to me that:

Quote from:
went solo to gu's

got beef jerkey with chili sauce (cold)

that fish dish (amazing)

boneless smoked tea duck stir fried with ginger, veggies

everything complex and clean flavors

one of my best chinese meals ever

Perhaps he'll chime in if his service at the bar permits?

Meanwhile, debased netizen that I am-- tied to outmoded messaging means such as email and Picasa-- I can and will provide the documentary evidence in support of the case.

Husband and Wife (#1 in Cold Appetizers). Will very frequently reorder.

Chengdu Dumplings. Will reorder frequently.

Lotus Root. Will reorder.

Beef Jerky. Interesting. Not a sweet dish, but its sweet element combined with savory not my taste.

Cumin Lamb. Will reorder.

Sichuan String Beans.Will reorder

Fish Fillet in Spicy Hot Pot. Will always reorder.

Seafood Stuffed Tofu. Loved this. Great foil for ma la hot spicy dishes.

Tea Smoked Duck Ginger Scallion. Delicate, flavorful, exc.

Sichuan Spicy Shrimp. I'm the head and shell guy. Even lacking these, a great dish nonetheless.

As the blogsters are fond of saying--run, don't walk.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 07:39:15 AM by steve_drucker »

Offline outtolunchatty

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 07:34:55 AM »
wow steve.....lets do lunch there soon.........pm me for my phone no. if you lost it.......outtolunchatty (bob)

Offline Dr. Vino

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 07:54:24 PM »
Quite nice.  Clean inside, and very friendly service.  The beautiful hostess told me that her father (chef) opened Szechuan House in Duluth, before he parted with the owners and started a restaurant in NC, before coming back and taking over this place. 

Prices are a bit higher than the location would demand, but the portions and quality are worth it.  The only problem I had is the extensive menu with numerous versions of dishes that sound familiar, but can't easily tell what the differences are. 

Some are similar to Peter Chang's/Tasty China dishes, but different in their own way, and many more choices to consider.

Flavors and spice levels are quite balanced, and there are many offal options to choose from if you desire.

Check it out, definitely worth the trip. 

Offline jonnymack

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:36:33 AM »
This is within striking distance for lunch.  I'm very excited to try this place as soon as my workload allows for it.  The pics look amazing. 

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »
We went yesterday for a late lunch. Ordered the fish in spicy hot pot on the server's recommendation and it was very spicy but also incredibly good. Very tender and flavorful fish, and we balanced out the meal with a dish of unspicy but also very tasty green beans.

I'd love to go back with a larger group to try more dishes.
Food is my favorite.

Offline tangomonster

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
Ate here Saturday night and loved it.  We had Kung Pao lotus root and a Szechuan tofu dish.  Loved it.  Thought it was very flavorful and nicely done, albeit a little oily as Szechuan food can be and not all that hot (but it did have some S. peppercorns in it).

The traditional Chinese menu is very extensive.  We were asked if we wanted an American menu as well, but declined.

The place was very empty at 6.  Just a few tables were occupied, all with young Chinese people.

The shopping center is not exactly thriving----I hope this restaurant makes it!

Offline Fooddoc

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 08:04:04 AM »
Ate there Friday for lunch.  Great place. We ordered some of the dishes Steve mentioned above and all were very good.  The broth for the fish hot pot is not overpowered by hot chili oil, it has a great flavor base.  The dish can also be had as chicken, which I will try next.  The portion is simply enormous. I wish they would make a smaller version.  Also had Cumin Lamb (very good) and the Seafood stuffed Tofu (nice non-spicy change of pace) and both the Chengdu Style Dumplings and Zhong's dumplings.  The Chengdu dumplings are a little thick, which I actually like but they came out a little under steamed, the dough not fully cooked in some of the dumplings.  The Zhong's dumplings are thinner to begin with and had a little better texture. I still prefer the sauce that the Zhong's dumplings are in at Szechuan House, which is strange since that is supposedly where the chef came from.  The dishes do seem to be less salty then Tasty China/Chang's. We will definitely be going back.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 01:33:01 PM »
Lunched here today with my wife, and we loved it.  Swayed by Drucker's pics, we went with the fish fillet in hot pot, which was huge and had some serious ma la, tea-smoked duck, and Husband-and-Wife (called something like "beef and tripe" on the menu).  I've never had fish in hot pot before, and I thought it was perhaps the best Sichuan fish dish I've had--and I assume it was tilapia, which I profess to dislike.  The presentations/garnishes were prettier than what I've experienced at Tasty China and elsewhere, apart from the group banquets.

Sitting a couple of tables from us were tansu and his wife.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 07:57:15 AM »
I thought I saw you Lorenzo but I only saw the back of your head so wasn't sure. We were there for lunch yesterday also. We had the tofu hot pot that our waiter recommended and the smoked duck. Very solid meal and the tofu dish got more interesting with each bite. The duck was good and rich but a little too much smoke for me. We enjoyed it very much and will return, hopefully with a couple of friends so we can try more of the menu.

Offline ShubaShuba

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 09:13:14 AM »
been here 3 times and have had the opportunity to sample a large number of dishes off the menu.  the list includes: fuqi fe pian (husband/wife), zhong dumplings, dry fried fish, spicy szechuan shrimp, fish in hot oil, beef in hot oil, chinese broccoli, string beans, gong bao lotus root, beef noodle soup, stuffed tofu, smoked duck, smoked pork belly w/ leeks, cumin lamb.  may have forgotten one or two.  it is strange to say but every single dish i have eaten at gu's has been very good to great.  not a single weak dish in the bunch.  imho, this is the best chinese restaurant in atlanta - by a fairly wide margin.  i know the food at tasty china, peter chang's, delicious kabob (rip), man chun hong, etc. and this food is just better.  this food compares favorably to chinese food that you get in asia.  the owner/chef is that good.  from the subtle and delicate dishes like the stuffed tofu and beef noodle soup (yes the niu ro mian here is subtle/delicate/amazing) to the full on ma la specialties, everything is expertly prepared, balanced and delicious.  the service is great (yvonne is beyond wonderful...).  the prices are more than fair.  really can't say enough good things.

btw - it is really hard to write a post when everything you have to say is exceedingly positive.  if it comes across as gratuitous pandering, well that is what the food has reduced me to...

Offline Fooddoc

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »
As clarification, looking back at Steve's pictures I believe the Chengdu "dumplings" he is showing may be what is listed on the menu as Chengdu Wontons.  We had what the menu called Chengdu Style Dumplings which was the only dish I had a minor criticism of, the dumplings not having been fully steamed.  They came with a separate bowl of a small amount of sauce and were very meaty inside (pork I think) and the dough on the thick side.  The dish pictured has more red oil/sauce and the "dumplings" look more like they could be Wontons.  Could this be the case Steve?  Next time we will try the Chengdu Wontons for comparison.

Offline steve_drucker

• Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 11:33:23 AM »
... The dish pictured has more red oil/sauce and the "dumplings" look more like they could be Wontons.  Could this be the case Steve?  Next time we will try the Chengdu Wontons for comparison.

You are correct. Wontons!

Offline nelu

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »
Pretty good meal today at Gu's. We had chendgu wontons, string beans, stir-fried tea smoked duck, fish in hot oil.  In all a very good meal. This restaurant might be the best Chinese restaurant on Buford Highway... The best dishes for me were the wontons and the string beans. The fish in hot oil was very satisfying, but maybe too much garlic (you can notice a pile of crushed garlic on it when they bring it out) and the duck a bit salty. For desert, we had two dishes, both in liquid form: sticky congee and sweet rice. One is enough for three people and the price reflects that. Interesting deserts, but I am not sure that they are for me. The service was excellent, and I plan to return often. They give you lots of food so be prepared to take home leftovers...