Author Topic: Garlic  (Read 4823 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: Garlic
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 01:33:26 PM »
I just put the side of knife on the whole clove and whack it with my fist, take off the peel, and mince/smash with a large blade. Adding a generous pinch of salt eliminates a lot of the pesky sticking to the side of the knife.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
I just put the side of knife on the whole clove and whack it with my fist, take off the peel, and mince/smash with a large blade. Adding a generous pinch of salt eliminates a lot of the pesky sticking to the side of the knife.

Knife lover that I am I know how those small salt grains negatively impact the fine edge of a knife, but I like your idea. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »

Knife lover that I am I know how those small salt grains negatively impact the fine edge of a knife, but I like your idea. 

Really? That much? Never thought of that.

The amount of time that the knife comes in contact with the salt is pretty minimal, or is it something about  the texture you are referring to?

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 06:08:26 PM »
Ruhlman recently had the scientific explanation for all of this:

http://ruhlman.com/2011/02/garlic-germ.html

Offline MadBob

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 05:49:36 AM »
Ruhlman recently had the scientific explanation for all of this:

http://ruhlman.com/2011/02/garlic-germ.html
Makes me wonder how many Green Grocers would be able to answer the Hundred Dollar question... "Where is this Garlic from?" Some of them are good, and some , well....... (and I am far from knowing what I am talking about). An informative article though. And it makes sense that after smashing and peeling or just plain peeling then mincing on my cutting board, that is the reason garlic smells so much more after it sits for a few. What you learn here! Thanks!!
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.