Author Topic: Garlic  (Read 4557 times)

Offline ginny

• Email
Garlic
« on: December 09, 2010, 10:23:11 AM »
I love garlic in any form, roasted, pickled, fried (NOT raw) except if you use a micoplane to shave it  in a salad for example  I use garlic in most all I cook.
Shorts Retirement Home
Ginny and Jerry (This is Ginny)
Little Rock, AR USA

Offline BoneDaddy

Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:07:01 PM »
Got a garlic dish for you. We call it Chicken and Garlic. Really simple but very very good. My grandmother used to make it and would give me the leftovers in a tupperware container. It was awsome and one of my best memories of her. I never got the recipe from her but several years ago I was able to duplicate it. It is one of those flavors that you dont forget and it was fairly easy to perfect.

You boil a whole chicken, I usually put a couple of cloves of garlic in the boiling water. Remove the chicken to cool and debone. To the chicken broth I add 2 29oz cans of tomato sauce and start out with about 10 cloves of garlic pressed into the broth. Add salt and pepper to taste and more garlic if needed. All the while the broth is boiling pretty rapidly. Once the mixture is to your liking add a 1lb box of thin spaghetti or angel hair and cook till done. While that is boiling add some of the chicken that you cut into chunks earlier. You want this dish to be soupy and not thick.

It amazing stuff.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:06:38 PM »
Got a garlic dish for you. We call it Chicken and Garlic. Really simple but very very good. My grandmother used to make it and would give me the leftovers in a tupperware container. It was awsome and one of my best memories of her. I never got the recipe from her but several years ago I was able to duplicate it. It is one of those flavors that you dont forget and it was fairly easy to perfect.

You boil a whole chicken, I usually put a couple of cloves of garlic in the boiling water. Remove the chicken to cool and debone. To the chicken broth I add 2 29oz cans of tomato sauce and start out with about 10 cloves of garlic pressed into the broth. Add salt and pepper to taste and more garlic if needed. All the while the broth is boiling pretty rapidly. Once the mixture is to your liking add a 1lb box of thin spaghetti or angel hair and cook till done. While that is boiling add some of the chicken that you cut into chunks earlier. You want this dish to be soupy and not thick.

It amazing stuff. 

So you did learn something from your grandparents huh Bone Daddy ?     ;D

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline baconwrappedrob

• Bacon Wrapped Rob
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:13:09 AM »
what do yall use to mince/cut up/grate your garlic?  There are tons of gadgets out there like presses, knives, and graters.  I have most of them I think!  I always find myself going to the knife though.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:44:15 PM »
what do yall use to mince/cut up/grate your garlic?  There are tons of gadgets out there like presses, knives, and graters.  I have most of them I think!  I always find myself going to the knife though.

I bought the world's teeniest mandoline at Super H for about $2.  Perfect size for a clove of garlic.

I know it's out-dated, but I'm a garlic press fan as well.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:55:32 PM »
I always wanted to buy a used microtome and try it...after cleaning the hell outta it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtome

Offline baconwrappedrob

• Bacon Wrapped Rob
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:56:39 PM »
I am not a garlic press fan.  For me, the garlic just mashes up in the press and I get very little garlic out of it. 

I did a little study on the microplane vs the garlic press a week ago or so.  Here is a write up. http://baconwrappedrob.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/cooking-gadget-review-microplane-grater/

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 01:27:14 PM »
I am not a garlic press fan.  For me, the garlic just mashes up in the press and I get very little garlic out of it. 

I did a little study on the microplane vs the garlic press a week ago or so.  Here is a write up. http://baconwrappedrob.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/cooking-gadget-review-microplane-grater/

I do sometimes use a garlic press I have had two that I like.  The old aluminum  Zyliss-SUSI is still a strong contender both for efficiency and for clean-ability. The KitchenAid garlic press is also pretty awesome but I have broken two of them over the years. The KA one is both large and has a large capacity, I don't even peel garlic to use it (while it was unbroken).

Cooks Illustrated ranked the Kuhn Rikon Epicurian Garlic Press as the best but the Trudeau Garlic Press was the next best & was a close second at a much lower price. They said "At one-third the price of the Kuhn Rikon Epicurean, we found the chrome-plated Trudeau Garlic Press produced uniform pieces of garlic, had a generous hopper, and was easy to clean"

Here are links to the two that I have used and trust.

http://www.zylissusa.com/cgi-bin/v1/index.cgi?main=987654323&sub1=539000041&sub2=539000044&product=930251195

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KG132ER-Garlic-Press-Red/dp/B00005KIDZ/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_2

Microplane has a professional grade of graters that are way, way better than the plastic edged ones available for the consumer market, I find them to be outstanding.  Here is a link with a picture.  Of course you don't have to buy the set but the wider graters are much more usable to me than the long narrow ones. I have given away my plastic edged ones, they break.

http://us.microplane.com/38000set-5gratersetwattachment.aspx

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 01:59:08 PM »
I usually slice garlic for tomato sauce and then hit it with the immersion blender at the end, that really wakes up the garlic and herbs in the sauce. Other uses I just chop it finely with a knife.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »
I smash mine with a can of tomatoes, then mince it fine with the chef's knife if need be.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 10:03:15 PM »
I smash mine with a can of tomatoes, then mince it fine with the chef's knife if need be.

A can of tomatoes...   What a uni-tasker.

I love me some gadgets though.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 02:58:39 AM »
I still have the scene in Goodfellahs (and I seem to remember Alton Brown doing a take on it) where they were cutting the clove with a razor blade. I've tried a press and found it to be messy, but convienent if you're dealing with multiple cloves (I used to cook a lot when I had a steady gal). I tried using a mandolin one time, which produced perfectly sliced sections of fingertips. If I can start cooking on a regular basis again, I'd trade in the press for a microplane.

Offline baconwrappedrob

• Bacon Wrapped Rob
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 05:49:05 AM »
hahaha, I thought about using the mandolin I just bought to slice the garlic.  I'll protect me fingertips!

Offline Minerva

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 05:53:51 AM »
Italian American friends with a long family cooking tradition once emphasized to me that the ONLY way to use fresh garlic is a press.

I do still occasionally mince but I really don't mind the press mess because I think the garlic flavor in the dish ends up being better. Probably power of suggestion. And mandolines and I have a love/hate relationship. My brain loves 'em, my fingers don't.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »
hahaha, I thought about using the mandolin I just bought to slice the garlic.  I'll protect me fingertips!

I'm starting a thread about mandolines.

take a look here:

http://285foodies.com/forum/cooking-hardware/mandoline/msg19013/#msg19013

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:37:20 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »