Author Topic: Thanksgiving 2010  (Read 4694 times)

Offline bettylouski

Re: Thanksgiving 2010
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »
By popular demand, a reprise of last year's menu:

Trader Joe's kosher turkey, prepared with the LA Times  seasoned-dry brined turkey (bay-sage):
http://www.latimes.com/theguide/holiday-guide/food/la-fo-calcook18-2009nov18,0,4954438.story

Mushroom & homemade-sourdough-bread dressing

Sweet Potato-carrot puree

Craig Claiborne's corn-zucchini souffle

green beans

Brussels sprouts

cranberry-orange-ginger relish

homemade crescent rolls (Baking Illustrated)

SIL made the pumpkin pies for the 8 of us.  Not many leftovers.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »
I guess my original post got lost in the server crash.  I was going to update with some pictures, but here's just the highlights.

Most of the family couldn't make it to Georgia for my little girl's 5 year bash, so we had a belated birthday party/thanksgiving.  So it was quite a large gathering and spread (two large 17 lb prime rib roasts, corned beef, ham, turkey and a lot more).  The big centerpiece this year was a 60 lb roast pig.  Here are some shots.  It came out great... incredibly crunchy skin and tender, moist meat.  The pig was surprisingly lean, but the meat was still so tender and flavorful.

Offline Otto

• All I Want is to Photograph and to be Photographed
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 02:54:50 PM »
I'm working on Weapons-grade ratatouille for tomorrow
Well, was it worth weaponizing ?    :D
[/quote]

Yes, it was awesome.  However, it will be even better this summer when the tomatoes are in peak season.  I did not follow the "eat local" rule for this recipe.   

No photos.  Ate it all.  It wasn't very photogenic anyway, IMHO.

Made apple pie too.  Crust was a bit tough--over did it in the making, but the insides were great.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »
I guess my original post got lost in the server crash.  I was going to update with some pictures, but here's just the highlights.

Most of the family couldn't make it to Georgia for my little girl's 5 year bash, so we had a belated birthday party/thanksgiving.  So it was quite a large gathering and spread (two large 17 lb prime rib roasts, corned beef, ham, turkey and a lot more).  The big centerpiece this year was a 60 lb roast pig.  Here are some shots.  It came out great... incredibly crunchy skin and tender, moist meat.  The pig was surprisingly lean, but the meat was still so tender and flavorful.

So is that one of those cuban pig roasters? Not sure if you mentioned that before.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 11:54:18 PM »

So is that one of those cuban pig roasters? Not sure if you mentioned that before.

I believe so.  It's one of these:

http://www.shoplatintouch.com/Caja-China-Roasting-Box-Grills/c1/p1/The-Roasting-Box/-Caja-China-Roaster/product_info.html?gclid=CLCRyvbsx6UCFcNM4AodqTxmYg

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 08:52:58 AM »

http://www.shoplatintouch.com/Caja-China-Roasting-Box-Grills/c1/p1/The-Roasting-Box/-Caja-China-Roaster/product_info.html?gclid=CLCRyvbsx6UCFcNM4AodqTxmYg

The Caja China Roasting box grill - aka the Cajun Microwave - on the Latin Touch website!  ;)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »

Puleeeeeeeze, just one more night of leftovers before we can get this wonderful but huge meal behind us.

I probably WILL make soup as I have made the broth out of the smoked carcass and that seems like it would be good?  I am tempted to freeze the stock and wake it up later when I have a hankering for some good solid soup, rather than associate the soup with another leftover meal.   Show me fish, show me pork, show me a store-bought pizza, but I'm not doing any more Thanksgiving leftovers, though I was thankful to have them.   ;)

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline totm

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 08:12:42 AM »

That one is a much better price than the one that I mentioned a month or so on the pig roast thread.
http://www.roastingbox.com/p-63-model-1-aluminum-70-pounder-live-weight.aspx

The skin on your pig came out crispier than the one I had back on Halloween eve (I've heard there are pictures somewhere on Facebook).  How early did you flip it and how long did you let it go skin side up?  Did you marinate it at all?  I wanted more garlic or chili flavor in the one my buddy did.  Plus, cooking in the box provides no smoke to the meat considering all the heat is charcoal on top of the aluminum pan that sits on top of the box.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 08:59:28 AM »
The skin on your pig came out crispier than the one I had back on Halloween eve (I've heard there are pictures somewhere on Facebook).  How early did you flip it and how long did you let it go skin side up?  Did you marinate it at all?  I wanted more garlic or chili flavor in the one my buddy did.  Plus, cooking in the box provides no smoke to the meat considering all the heat is charcoal on top of the aluminum pan that sits on top of the box.

My cousin and my future BIL did the cooking, but from what I gathered, it took around 5-6 hours.  They injected with a mojo style marinade, scored the skin and used salt and pepper on the outside.  I'm sure they did more, but that's all that was mentioned.  They started with it inverted (belly up), but not sure about the details on when they flipped.  Everyone loved it and it's probably going to get put on the regular rotation for our family gatherings, but I think the consensus was it would have been phenomenal with a Chinese style marinade like char siu.  Considering the amount of food from the pig, I think it was relatively inexpensive.  The box was given to them from a friend.  They ordered the pig from Sweet Bay, a grocer in Tampa, for $1.40/lb and it took 3 bags of charcoal for the entire cook period.