Author Topic: Kindle  (Read 4211 times)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Kindle
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:39:32 AM »
Finally decided to order one - been reading several books off of Kindle for PC, and decided it'd be easier to cart a Kindle around rather than my notebook. Was thinking of waiting for an iPad, but I don't really want one - I just want a book substitute. Anybody else out there Kindling?

Offline Girly

Re: Kindle
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 08:47:47 AM »
I've had one since approximately 3 seconds after they started selling them. Greatest thing since the DVR!

Here are a couple of sites to get you started:

http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/
She is really on things as far as freebies and greatly reduced prices. The same info can be found elsewhere but she's fast and I haven't seen her miss anything. Most of the free books are short and not great but if you're a readaholic like me, you can't find enough reading material and this rocks.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140
A very active discussion forum.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:13:34 AM »
I've had one since approximately 3 seconds after they started selling them. Greatest thing since the DVR!

Here are a couple of sites to get you started:

http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/
She is really on things as far as freebies and greatly reduced prices. The same info can be found elsewhere but she's fast and I haven't seen her miss anything. Most of the free books are short and not great but if you're a readaholic like me, you can't find enough reading material and this rocks.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140
A very active discussion forum.
Thanks! I'm usually hunched over a book in my spare time, so I'm really interested in freebies and cheap books. I always wondered if there could be a 'used Kindle bookstore' for trading in old Kindle titles for credit. The software would have to deal with the digital signatures on the e-books, but it'd be a lot more attractive for buying a Kindle. ;D

Offline Girly

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 09:42:10 AM »
Another cool thing is that you can read your Kindle books on other electronics. I have mine set up on my netbook and my Blackberry. I don't really use it on the netbook that much but the BB has been a lifesaver when I'm somewhere I didn't expect to have extra time and didn't bring the Kindle :)

They are talking about rolling out a program where you can share books but it's rather prohibitive IMHO: you can only share a book once and it's only active on the other person's reading list for 14 days. That said, I really haven't had an issue. If I think a book is great and want someone to have it, I'll just buy it ;) And I do still buy "real" books at times - recently I was buying a couple of books for my Dad and it was $2 under the free shipping minimum. The paperback was the same price as the Kindle version I just bought the paperback instead and saved myself more in shipping than I paid for the book.

I think you'll really enjoy it. I bet I've sold over 100 for Amazon - I need to start giving everyone my affiliate link  ;D

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:08:21 AM »
I cried fowl when CDs replaced LPs and album art went the way of the dodo but eventually I fully embraced the new reality for music media and today virtually all my music purchases are downloaded.  I have my complete music library digitized on my Linux server, cataloged by the Readerware app and served up to any wireless device within reach by Twonky's media server. 
Still, I have great reservations about being able to "curl up with a good screen". 
I love to read and am a self admitted serial reader. 
I love the feel of a book, the smell of a book, the visceral experience of reading, page turning and falling into the story.
Can a piece of electronics fill that role?
I think that the Kindle and other readers are way cool devices and the idea of having your library so readily available and not having to build more bookshelves is very attractive.  I'd love to go that route but at the same time, the reading experience is such a (learned?) pleasure that I wonder if the same transition as from LPs is possible.
I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions and experience.
Does one reader better provide "the reading experience" than others?
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 02:50:59 PM »
Using my netbook as a Kindle is/was a bit of a pain, as the keyboard gets clumsy when reading with my glasses off. I have the Kindle plugged in to charge for after work, and I also got the lighted cover, so I'll have more an opinion later on.

I do like having my books located in one spot, since I tend to read several books at once, depending on my mood (or whatever). This makes it so that I can cart them all along at once. Battery life is supposed to be good if not on wi-fi, and if I finish a book, I can run out to Amazon and grab another instead of trying to hit a bookstore someplace.

I still like the book as book - gave a gift version of Lamb to a friend. Great book if you like irreverent stuff.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »
I LOVE MY IPAD!!!!

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 06:00:02 PM »
I am an avid reader and an even more an audiobook lover. The Dekalb library makes it very easy to reserve both types of books. Since my car is getting old and the springs in the multi-disc loader are shot, It will cost $300 to fix it. I simply rip the the discs to mp3 and play them on my phone through a Bluetooth box through the radio or in the case of Overdrive, that now supplies titles to the county, I have a Sansa mp3 player that I connect to an FM transmitter and it plays through the car radio. When at home I can connect to my stereo or buds.

It works for me. I'm gonna hold out for a non Apple tablet. My be my birthday present to me.

thankyouverymuch.....................
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 08:41:17 AM »
Tried out the Kindle last night - worked great. You do need to get a cover with a night light - they aren't backlit, so reading in the dark is a bit of a challenge.

Biggest problem I've had is trying to get the hang of using numbers on the keypad - there aren't any.

Offline Corky

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 03:34:17 PM »
I cried fowl when CDs replaced LPs and album art went the way of the dodo but eventually I fully embraced the new reality for music media and today virtually all my music purchases are downloaded.  I have my complete music library digitized on my Linux server, cataloged by the Readerware app and served up to any wireless device within reach by Twonky's media server. 
Still, I have great reservations about being able to "curl up with a good screen". 
I love to read and am a self admitted serial reader. 
I love the feel of a book, the smell of a book, the visceral experience of reading, page turning and falling into the story.
Can a piece of electronics fill that role?
I think that the Kindle and other readers are way cool devices and the idea of having your library so readily available and not having to build more bookshelves is very attractive.  I'd love to go that route but at the same time, the reading experience is such a (learned?) pleasure that I wonder if the same transition as from LPs is possible.
I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions and experience.
Does one reader better provide "the reading experience" than others?

I agree with you, I was kicking and screaming when analog sound was replaced by digital. I still say an analog classical recording has a "deeper, richer" sound. This is especially true when played on a tube based system.
I have an iPod Touch on which I read quite a few books, especially when traveling. I really don't think an iPod, Kindle or whatever electronic book will ever replace my grease, batter splattered, marked up, dog-eared, signed cookbooks. I'll keep building shelves in my kitchen library.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »

Maybe we are late to the party but our Kindle Fire arrived today.  Now what ?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »
Well, now you sell it and get an iPad.... :)
i kid, i kid

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 03:47:24 PM »
Well, now you sell it and get an iPad.... :)
i kid, i kid 

Ha, ha.....   I just spent an hour uploading music into the "cloud" then realizing that CP used her account on Amazon to buy and register the KF.  Neat, I have some music I like on the cloud now, I guess I can get it on my Droid?   

Too many widgets.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.